Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

It also needs to be highlighted just how easy of a ride the coaching staff and squad get in the media. The past couple of seasons you'd get the token "Friend is an excellent head-coach that doesn't have the same resources" guff from pundits who clearly never actually watch Connacht. There's very little criticism of the regular final 20 minute collapses, turnstile defending or the poor game management.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Lsdrugbyfan

Friend is very media savy and is on twitter, it has helped him escape criticism in the media

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Lsdrugbyfan

3 weeks for Tom Daly.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

No argument with that. The decision lists the games for which he will be unavailable, and includes this:

"Connacht v Leinster (April 15 – This may be replaced by World Rugby Coaching Intervention Programme)"

https://www.unitedrugby.com/latest/news/disciplinary-decision-tom-daly

What does that mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

He does a day course and can play the 3rd week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

This 'intervention programme' thing is such a load of bollocks.

Practically speaking, assuming Aki is back, it makes no odds to Daly cos he won't be playing against Leinster anyway, but it's still a messed up message.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭jimdemp

Carty doesnt have enough confidence. Looks like being with Ireland was more of a negative effect on him. He probably knows Farrell doesnt want him around but feels forced into picking him. When he missed touch the whole team got demoralised. A senior player, the captain and he makes simple mistakes

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Going to give a serious answer to the troll post above. Carty has been making those silly mistakes for years. Which is probably why he's never been in contention for a regular spot in Ireland's squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Hahahaha, it took its time showing up, but the “Ireland coach ruined fan favourite player confidence” speil has finally appeared.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

The Ian Keatley gambit.

Always been a favourite of mine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

But he seems to miss touch frequently. Farrell probably has little faith in him. It's likely he doesn't trust him or rate him. Not Farrells fault to be fair.

That said, Farrell is probably not enthused with Carberry either. He got next to nothing time v Scotland.

Carty is 30 this year and the prospect of international caps are dwindling, imo. He may go to N.Z for the tour but, I would guess that Ben Healy will travel if he continues to play well. I think it will be Sexton. Carberry and Healy.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭jimdemp

Kieran Keane was ousted by player power who didn't like his no nonsense, straight talking honesty. People like O’Halloran was going to munster if KK was kept on. That kind of player power has a bad effect on a club. Friend would know what happened before him and must be very Diplomatic

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Kieran Keane pissed off far more than players during his short tenure. For whatever reason, maybe it was moving to the other side of the world with no experience of it previously, the person who interviewed and the person who arrived were like two different people by all accounts.

His removal had very little to do with player power, albeit players, along with everyone else involved with Connacht at a day to day level were glad to see him depart.

Some of these excuses for friend are getting very thin….

People need to think before throwing daft stuff out. The notion that the IRFU sanctioned Connacht getting rid of a coach after one season (maybe the only time it’s been done by a province in pro era, one of the few at least) because TOH or anyone else threatened to leave is bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,341 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I think next season will be Friend's last at Connacht anyway. I heard him interviewed recently and he mentioned June 2023 was when him and the wife have their big camper van tour of Europe planned for. Maybe coincidental but it seems like it would be a natural break.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

Anyone know do the Comer brothers have any interest in rugby ;)

https://www.the42.ie/galway-united-comer-brothers-takeover-5726139-Mar2022/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

For the first time in years I’d say, I’m not really bothered about the Connacht match this weekend. Need a big result to help hype up the sportsground next weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭testtech05

The last couple of games haven't helped alright, a win is badly needed but wont be easy. It will be interesting to see what squad is named for tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Do you go full strength or give a few young lads a go?

Full strength, have to try and break the cycle. Otherwise the young lads are meat for the grinder.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Well the 2023 club season will probably start late due to the world cup so that would be another plausible reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

Team named. Thornbury and Dylan Martin named on the subs. Is Duggan injured strange that he's not covering loosehead.

6-2 split on the bench.

CONNACHT RUGBY MATCHDAY 23 VS BENETTON RUGBY

Saturday 2nd April, 12:00 @ Stadio Monigo

Number/Name/Caps

15. Tiernan O’Halloran (202)

14. John Porch (53)

13. Tom Farrell (74)

12. Sammy Arnold (34)

11. Mack Hansen (9)

10. Jack Carty (174) (C)

9. Kieran Marmion (203)

1. Matthew Burke (35)

2. Dave Heffernan (159)

3. Finlay Bealham (169)

4. Niall Murray (31)

5. Leva Fifita (10)

6. Cian Prendergast (25)

7. Conor Oliver (36)

8. Paul Boyle (71)

Replacements

16. Dylan Tierney-Martin (1)

17. Greg McGrath (5)

18. Tietie Tuimauga (8)

19. Gavin Thornbury (58)

20. Abraham Papali’i (21)

21. Caolin Blade (145)

22. Conor Fitzgerald (47)

23. Sean Masterson (16)

I think we have to go strong as we can really (which seems to be the case) to try and get something going again. I'm not optimistic about our chances against Leinster over 2 legs but would be at least expecting we make it difficult for them in the home leg, even more so after last weeks result.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Really wish we would move Porch to 15, or try Hansen there. The coaches don't seem to really rate any of our props outside of Buckley, Burke, Bealham, and maybe Tuimauga to a lesser extent.

Great to see Thornbury back, think he and Murray will be a great combination going forward.

Porch showed some great flashes at FB over the last couple of seasons but he hasnt looked great there either the couple of times he's been in this season. Maybe just needs a proper run there.

Hansen would definitely have the skills to play FB but is it likely now that he is seen as a wing for Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

They really ought to be able to beat Benetton, especially with the Italians integrating the international lads. I'm happy to see Boyle starting, Butler is just not as good, imo.

I don't think Duggan is rated, tbh. With Dooley arriving he will struggle to get playing time. Thornbury back is great, fantastic player last season.

Connacht by 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Must admit I forgot this was on tbh.

Agreed about Thornbury, but i'd expect it will take him a while to get back into the flow.

Greg McGrath on the bench at LH is just bizarre. He has played in that position for just 6 mins against Munster, all his other appearances have been at TH. And yes, it should be Hansen or Porch at FB. McNulty plays there too. My assumption at this point is that Tiernan is gone at the end of the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Have to go out to get a bonus point win in the match today, to keep any hopes alive, and pray that Ulster beat the Bulls.

Advertisement