Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Arklow still bad?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

sandyxxx wrote: »
    It’s behind Mr Price in the Knockanrahan ind. estate,at the back!

Thank you! Any idea of opening hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭NickMondo

Hi,

Just wonder how the OP is finding it down there, sizing up the area myself.

Quick question i've never seen addressed. Is their any flooding due to the river?

I've actually moved out now to Gorey, but that is because we decided to buy a house. We had started looking Arklow initally but then widened the net a little and ended up in Gorey, mainly due to availablity of houses. Not that there's that much more here but we just got lucky.

Aside from the last week there was always some element of Covid restrictions in Arklow when we were there so that would have to be taken into account.

The main street has quite a high amount of deralict and unused shops and a big cinema that was burnt down. The tiday town's comitte do a lot of good work and paint up the windows and keep flowebeds in good shape and hanging baskets all along the street.

The shopping centre has an argos and TK max which were handy. PLenty of supermarket choice in the town.

The pubs were very good i thought, for the size of the place there were plenty with live music -which is what I like so that was well above what i expected.

My wife is a vegetarian and there wasn't much selectoin when we dined out. The place has too many Chinese take aways and not enough variety. There is only one sit down resteraunt in the town (As oppoed to pub foIt od) and it's a chinese - it was nice but as they used crustacians not much for a vegetarian.

Teenagers cycling on the footpaths all the time was annoying!

IT was nice being close to the beach and there was a random walk through a quarry onto a lovely beach which was cool, and you could loop aroudn for a big long walk - essential during lockdown! The Centra has massive 99's

That's my random thoughts in no particular order, let me know if there's anything in particular. Traffic can be bad enough over the bridge, especially now with roadworks for the next 6 months or so I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Baybay

Arklow is, I think, due a bit of a boost. The sewage treatment works are in progress which will probably see more new builds going up. The old cinema & large site it’s on have been recently sold with apparently a mix of residential & commercial units going in. The current road works & one way system aren’t doing too much to help the town at the moment but the Main Street is expected to be more pedestrian friendly & allow for more outside dining etc. There’s also chat about redeveloping the bandstand car park & river frontage there to make it more of an amenity for the town. The proposed off shore wind farm there should also bring needed investment into the town.

Good points there about the wimdfarm. Good that cinema was sold, be nice to see development there. I forgot to mention about housing being able to proceed due to the sewage works.

Like every where else the rental market seems very tight, if thinking of renting when you move.... But no where easy these days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sandyxxx

and the data centre could be a huge gain also.....still think the main st. is to long for one way system and needs an M11 exit at the vale road to make the town viable!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Baybay

I think the fact that the town is so long makes it look like there’s little enough in town. Things are so spread out. It’s a long walk from Pettit’s to the Arklow Bay!

If you do move and fancy 6 a side on astro turf on Tuesdays let me know.... We struggle for numbers. Varying levels of fitness and skill, but mostly at the lower end of both (including myself). Demographic seems to range from about 30-55 with a young lad about 18 from time to time. Mainly lads who drink in the gallery pub and has expanded a bit too a few that work with me! We took a winter break as we weren't getting enough to justify the weekly booking. Or if anybody else sees this and is interested!

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Galwayhurl

Can I chime in here with a question?

The number 2 bus timetable says that the bus leaving Arklow at 8.10 a.m. gets to Clare St/Merrion Square at 9.25 a.m.

Anyone know if this is accurate?

Thanks a million.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 kc78

It should do when the schools are off, when they are back it can be a half hour late.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that.

Had my heart set on rathdrum but prices gone way out of reach so now looking at Arklow. Might be able to afford something there. Only in the office 2 days a week so hoping it's an option.

The search for a home is grim!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 kc78

Wexford bus goes through Arklow as well, and there is always driving to Greystones for the dart an odd day. Its not the time to rush into buying somewhere though, who knows what will happen if Putin doesn't turn the gas back on.

Yeah I see your point. However, given my age, it's buy shortly or never at all. I'm at last chance saloon age-wise unfortunately. I'm getting close to banks not being willing to give me a mortgage, for the required amount at least.

Wexford bus is actually faster from Gorey, if your would consider Gorey as well to open options up. As the 740 doesn't go into arklow town, Wicklow, rathnew etc. My wife travels from Gorey twice a week for work and finds it better than when we lived in Arklow

Hey. Thanks for that.

I think Gorey is a lovely fine town, but aren't the prices there higher than Arklow?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭test account 123

Interesting discussion this as we're currently applying for a mortgage, given current prices we're looking at Athy but Arklow/Gorey is a great option. I spent every summer of my youth in the 80s going to Courtown so know Arklow and Gorey well. Gorey is a lovely town. If you think traffic in Arklow is bad now you should have tried driving through it before the M11 when half of Dublin was going to Wexford for the holidays 😁

I am considering Arklow because imo it has huge potential. I think its an overlooked town, maybe due to everything discussed here but if that all gets fixed it would be a great place to be. Very good golf course, plenty of beaches, stones throw to the mountains and N11 is handy. I've heard the waste treatment plant is now a priority, once that gets sorted I think investment may flow in.

100% agree with a previous post about taking a leaf out of Gorey's book. Gorey main st is really well kept.

I went down to Arklow yesterday to have a look and it's much nicer than portrayed by some on here and the internet in general.

Fine shopping centre, the main st is looking much nicer than what you see on Google Maps and there's a good selection of cafes restaurants etc. I was quite impressed to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭test account 123

Good to know, thanks. Might take a spin down for a day soon. I'm very familiar with the golf club having played it a few times over the years, that side of the river always felt much more neglected and dull driving to the course than the north side of the river which always seemed far more mature and brighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 seldomseenkid

is that offer for Astro 5/6 a side still open ?

if so I’d happily join in.

Recently moved to area and I’m looking for a regular game.

I fit the “lower end” entrance criteria also 😁

Advertisement