Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

I presume you're using the same hallways and bathrooms. Clearly you learned nothing in two years. You can be asymptomatic. It's you spreading covid. That's why your masked colleagues are picking up covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

Oh I learned lots... most importantly of all, I learned that everything from the last two years was just for show.

C'mon Friday!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Looks like there's definitely nothing happening now

They're all singing from the same hymsheet in government and can't see Tony doing a quick reverse gear either

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Go work in hospitality where nobody cares anymore, customers or staff. All have immunity built up and moved on.

Tony is a lame duck. Smart move sideways so he can live off his reputation forever.

Reminds me of Tom Parlon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Your last sentence could be a mantra for the masses going forward. Instead of "hold firm" and/or "flatten the curve", we'll have "get accustomed to cases"

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

6000 off work I'm reading , I'd be talking having bouncers at the doors and No-one gets in unless absolutely necessary.

Part of that public advice they were seeking is a change in the isolation period and it should be looked at anyway. Meanwhile back under 50 in ICU.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Wonder if hospitalizations are starting to ease off now. Only an increase of 9 since yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

Some straight talking coming out of Australia😲

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Advertisement

Lots of healthy people drop dead everyday, nothing new there. I know a good few over the years that passed like this and appeared very healthy beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Absolutely incorrect. Another word came to mind but I thought better of it!

Sounds like civil servant speak there.... From someone who works for said minister perchance?

If they the stakeholders don't /can't hold the minister to account who can?

He has done nothing for the last 2 months and finally is being put under pressure..

Never mind his total inaction on Slaintecare, he would be forgiven for that if he had set up the Covid Advisory group at least.

Good to see democracy in action

But you still came in swinging anyway. They can be ignored just like all the rest of us so yes it is democracy in action. Stakeholders in the health system sure but they are also vested interests and what they demand society should be doing is best ignored. Data suggests it'll be rough for a while more and then it'll ease.

Oh yeah Slaintecare, that is the magic solution alright. Not a chance. A bit like masks in a way.

So you say its better for society to 'ignore' patient advocate groups, health professionals and those working on the frontline???

Right we know where you are coming from now..

When the likes of the INMO start bleating like Lambs about masks demanding they be forced on peoples faces again then yes its best ignore them, which has happened.

Not a bit. Our current problem with numbers is largely HSE-related. They don't get to dictate to government what applies to wider society at any point. Being frontline just means you know a lot about being on the frontline. This will calm down fairly soon and positivity is now down to 36% from close to 50%, the 7 day rate is falling as well at 40%. It was 46% a week ago.

No no, lies and misrepresentation are the new facts

Oh thanks for telling me what ' I know '. 😊

You don't say where you work as is your prerogative, but I could say to you , you may have some idea of where I work, but nobody can say what I ' know' .

Anyway moving on I do agree that this will peak and bottom out in the next month ( don't forget Easter in the middle) but it's what is happening in the meantime that you 'know' we have to deal with and what is Donnelly doing about that?

He is the minister ..easy to blame HSE but as we know , they are the way they are thanks to successive governments. So lets not pass the blame along , the buck stops with him now .

So he has heard the advice and recommendations, he has dispatched NPHET , not yet set up the new advisory group ( maybe you have info on that ?) .And now having ignored advice from stakeholders essentially with nobody else to advise ( a phone call to Holohan who has already packed his bags does not count and Holohanhas kicked that yoke off his shoulders now ) HE ...the Minister ... has made the decision to go forth and multiply.

I would say Stephen is on a solo run here and best of luck if it works out !

I wouldn't like to have any member of my family needing urgent noncovid care over the next month to six weeks .

The new body will be under the auspices of the CMO. As the emergency has ended there's no urgency to get it into place no matter who thinks there is. TBH you wouldn't expect their advice to be any different than at present, i.e. none.

• Advertisement

I know 3 people who died suddenly since the vaccine roll out began. , 2 were neighbours. The vaccines were beginning to get blamed. “ oh it must have been the vaccines “ When the autopsy results came out the results told a very different story.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

In fairness GG that last statement would be true

most winters in Irish hospitals, over crowding, trolley problems, staffing issues. While Covid has exacerbated the issue, it isn’t the only cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Any idea of todays numbers up or down

Thing is , has the emergency ended ?

You yourself along with Seamus have called for dropping of testing .

How do we know what's happening if testing is abandoned?

The only clue to anything nasty would be people sick and turning up at A&E s , but who will be taking note of this if the minister is happy to ignore his frontline workers ?

We have lucked out with this particular variant , but much as I hate to upset those who are declaring this over , its possible that it may not be and we are just in the " eye of the storm " so to speak between variants .

And before I get the harbinger of doom comments ,this is not my opinion but the opinion of WHO and many health professionals worldwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

If your criteria for 'has the emergency ended' is - essentially another variant can change everything, then the emergency can never end in your eyes. Surely you this is logic issue?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

While I agree GG, I have to say the last sentence has been my world for a good 5 years now.I've said before I have 3 kids - I have a list of stories as long as my arm of having a sick child and no access to a doctor for 2 -3 days. Only before Christmas I had a 3 year old with a severe respiratory virus, I rang DDoc on a Sunday afternoon and was told GP would ring back "in a few hours"...3.5 hours later he was on his way to Temple St A&E where he needed 3 rounds of a nebuliser, steroids, and 2 inhalers (he is not asthmatic) him and about 20 other kids his age, all in A&E together because we had no access to anything else. DdDoc never rang back.And Temple St had the nerve to send me a 100eur bill for the visit (I referred this to Stephen Donnelly's office, to be honest).I myself had a severe problem with an ear infection back in Oct, which culminated in being told I needed to go to Beaumont A&E, after 3 attempts to see a doctor over 1.5 weeks, and an attempt to go to the Eye and Ear emergency (they don't do walk in emergencies, you can only get an emergency appointment now, and they won't give you a same day appointment - because of covid).

It is wearying to be trying to deal with this, plus paying through the nose for a GP every time.I do not want to sit in Temple St A&E, I want timely access to decent medical care for basic illnesses, cuts and bruises.I don't want to have to go to a hospital because it is 3pm on a Sunday afternoon and I have no other option.I have better things to be doing than sitting in a&e with a load of sick people, all sharing germs.It's frustrating as h&*l and the problem may be exacerbated by covid, but it is certainly is not being caused by covid.It was there before Covid ever was, and it will be there long afterwards.

I do absolutely see your point and I agree, but at the same time as a member of the public being told I should appreicate a need for restrictions and masks to "help" the same health system that seems to do nothing except make it as difficult as possible for the ordinary public to access it or use it -it is somewhat galling.I have no issue with wearing a mask, but at the same time, I now have zero sympathy for the Dept of Health and the HSE.

No, I agree that we are very much not in the same situation as we were, Adam ,thankfully.

But we need to keep in mind the possibility of this turning nasty again with the now very real danger of a variant that has evolved to evade not just vaccines but treatment . As it is Omicron has both antibody and some vaccine evasion properties, and some treatments like monoclonal antibodies that were used successfully with immunocompromised people with Delta , are useless now. There is only one which retains its use against Omicron, called Sotrovimab atm and supplies are very hard to come by as the whole world us looking for it .

But these are issues that should not be a worry anyone healthy or vaccinated or recovered at present .But the " head in the sand " approach ,yippee it's all over is not appropriate either .

The emergency is over but the fight to contain and treat so it truly becomes endemic goes on .

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Yes, we could get a nasty variant next month, or in 5 months, or in 5 years. Is your expectation that public health measures for covid should remain in place until such a time we are guaranteed no more variants?

Yes ,acutely aware and no fan of the HSE as it stands , I think you know .

However this is extreme at present with literally no isolation areas left . So it's like a trolley crisis/ + terrorist situation and someone has let offa tear gas canister in A&E and you don't want the ordinary patients to be affected , but there is nowhere to put them .

• Advertisement

Absolutely not . Again you don't read anything without bouncing in with a half baked reply .

Advertisement