Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭masit

Here's 1 up the North

£17,450 @.83301 =€20,946

VRT= €4546

Nox= Max €600.

No VAT or Customs as from the north

NOX is high on this car and showing 136g/km so when I put that into the vrt calculator is giving as €600

• Registered Users Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭User1998

It has 136g of Co2. Nox is more like 0.025 or thereabouts. Around €150 or so

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Tomcat007

Does anyone know the science behind the VRT calculation? Is it anything to do with Nox or is it just down to open market selling price in ROI?

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Sparkrite

Hi all,

Cannot really find a definitive answer to this one, so all help appreciated.

Looking at buying a 2018 UK car ( Peugeot 208 £6,000 ) that has just landed in NI but has not and may not be registered in NI, if I buy it.

Assuming that no import/VAT duties are due when it was imported to NI by the vendor and this will be shown on his customs declaration.

My question is this, will I be liable for VAT + VRT, or just VRT, here in the south when I go to register the car?

Also any difference between if it registered in NI or not before I buy it?

TIA.

• Advertisement

The seller will not have a customs declaration as goods can move freely between UK and NI. You will be liable for customs duty, VAT, and VRT upon registration here. Makes no difference if it gets registered up North

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭damemcd

is there anywhere you can check that a car (honda Crv} is made in uk with the required percentage of the parts being of uk origin .?

Difference between importing from the UK and importing from Northern Ireland

1. Vehicles registered in Northern Ireland before January 1st 2021 are not subject to customs duty or VAT
    2. Vehicles first registered in Northern Ireland after January 1st 2021 are not subject to customs duty or VAT
    3. Vehicles first registered in Northern Ireland after January 1st 2021 and considered new for VAT purposed are not subject to customs duty but are subject to VAT

Vehicles first registered in the UK and then registered in Northern after January 1st 2021 are not subject to customs duty or VAT, provided there is proof the vehicle was properly imported to Northern Ireland. The proof required is a copy of the customs declaration showing the importation of the vehicle into Northern Ireland or a T2L document issued by HMRC.

Vehicles first registered in the UK and then registered in Northern after January 1st 2021 are subject to customs duty or VAT, if proof cannot be provided that the vehicle was properly imported to Northern Ireland.

I got the above from a website. Does anybody know if No.2 is correct? I'm looking at a used car (2021) in NI. Mileage is 12,000 miles. I thought once you went past January 2021 you were liable for customs + VAT no matter what.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,349 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I'd say no 2 should read 'are subject'

https://brexitlegal.ie/importing-used-vehicles-2021-revenue/

Vehicles first registered in Northern Ireland after 1 January 2021

You can register a vehicle first registered in Northern Ireland after 1 January 2021 without any check on its customs status. If it is a new vehicle for VAT purposes, then the VAT is collected at registration.

https://www.moneyguideireland.com/imports-of-used-cars-in-ireland.html

• Vehicle whose first UK registration after 31 December 2020 was in Northern Ireland is not subject to customs duty or VAT on import to Ireland. Import duty will NOT apply and 23% Irish VAT will NOT be charged
    • Vehicles first registered in Northern Ireland after January 1st 2021 and considered new for VAT purposed are not subject to customs duty but are subject to VAT when imported to Ireland.

I checked a few other websites (see above extracts) and believe I wouldn't have to pay VAT as long as the car is not new and was registered in NI for the first time (i.e. not registered in England and then imported to NI). That's my understanding anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭masit

From my understanding when buying a car up North.

(1)Cars registered or imported into NI before 1st Jan 2021, no customs duty or vat due.

(2)Cars imported from the mainland into NI after 1st Jan 2021, there is custom duty and vat to be paid.

(3)New cars registered in NI after 31st Dec 2020 (never been registered on the mainland), no customs duty or vat due.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/guide-to-vrt/registration-of-imported-used-vehicles/registering-vehicles-from-ni.aspx

Registering vehicles whose first UK registration after 31 December 2020 is in NI

A vehicle first registered in NI after 1 January 2021 can be registered in the State without providing proof of its customs status where it meets the following conditions:

• the registration in NI was the first registration of the vehicle in the United Kingdom (UK)
    • and
    • the vehicle has never been exported and, or re-registered in, Great Britain or any other country outside the European Union. 

• Registered Users Posts: 29 steven1987

Hi

I'm looking at a car that is northern registered

But it's from copart so I will need to apply for v5c that's no problem

The question is how can I prove that the car was first registered in Northern Ireland? The registration number ? It is KRZ Rz = Antrim if I'm correct

• Registered Users Posts: 51,222 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Be very careful that you can actually get the v5c sent to you. The DVLA will not send them to ROI residents/addresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 steven1987

Cheers,

I have a guy in the North that will allow me use his address so should be good.

I'm more so trying to avoid customs and duty charges

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭SkatesOn

Looking at importing a 2009 Land Rover Defender 110 (Commercial) from the UK. Anybody got any idea what the VRT and other taxes might be?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,445 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

So I'd plans to build a camper van until I realized that you can't get a decent van in Ireland anymore for less than 5k, they're all ex builders vans, wrecked, moon miles or just too small. What the hell happened all the cheap Vans?! So I had a look to the UK where I can pick up exactly what I want for 3/4k that suits my needs perfectly.

What's the story now with bringing in a van from the UK with Brexit, I assume is not a flat €200 fee anymore. What should I be looking for, an older van, a newer van, a crew cab, one with mega miles? I've no idea what to import now unless I know exactly what I'll be charged for the Irish numberplates.

Can’t advise you on what van to buy, but customs charges are 35.3% of the invoice selling price + shipping. And VRT is €200

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ParNCH

Is importing from the UK just a complete non runner now?

I know I need to pay VAT @23% (is it standard 23% of price you paid to purchase?), VRT which will be calcualted on OMSP and then Nox.

I'm not interesded in making huge savings but if it even leveled out I would still consider as I have a family member living in the UK that comes back to Ireland regulalry who would be willing to view purchase and drive it home. I'd be looking at 2018s around the £20k mark. Either a BMW 4 series or merc c class.

The comparble car is still 30-35k here with a lower spec.

Any knowledge would be much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

if the car is of EU origin and less than 3 years old from the time of import in to the UK, no duty paid here , you can also buy vat free on vat qualifying cars in the UK but it would take some convincing, then pay vat here.

Its not the registered date but the date of import, a car could be registered one year but sitting in a dealers yard for 2 years and 1 month, when you bring it here, its 10 % duty thank you very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 geopadraig

Hey lads. This customs crap is doing my head in.

Is it impossible to pay customs and VAT as a private individual, do you have to go through a broker?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 16 OisinMurray

I'm considering importing a camper from the UK. Are you still able to drive back yourself or is a transport company needed? Presume theres no special rates or what not for campers, 23% vat, 10% customs and 13.5% vrt?

Also is customs and vat payed once off the ferry, or does it just need to be payed before VRT'ing it?

You might get away with driving through Holyhead as a tourist but technically you are supposed to pay it beforehand

• Registered Users Posts: 17,445 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I'm utterly confused as to how to import anymore.

Looking for a camper from the UK. No idea what impact a van converted and registered as a camper impacts the price you pay when you land or even if I can drive it home myself.

Same thing with importing a JDM car from the UK pre 92, what the hell kind of bill am I getting when I land it home?

Why, a few years on from Brexit don't revenue have an accurate calculator for any of this.

To be fair the costs of importing from countries outside the EU has been clearly laid out on Revenues website, and has been for years. VRT information is also freely available on Revenue

• Registered Users Posts: 16 OisinMurray

Ah ok thanks! That was the main part I couldn't find info on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 TomFitz16

Hi All! Looking at buying a 3 series from a main dealer in Northern Ireland. Understand all the calc of VRT and docs required - but has anyone chanced their arm at the NCT centre and tried to counter the Revenue OMSP values/car specs/CO2 values etc? Or are they very much computer says no attitude? I’d rather pay €5k than €10k VRT in absolutely whatever way possible!

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 22,206 ✭✭✭✭Esel

No chance to dispute the OMSP at that point. You have to pay the VRT first - only then can you appeal to Revenue.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

if i buy a 2020 BMW from belfast which is still under warranty there, would the warranty be covered by dublin BMW garages?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭SummerK

Yes, the Warranty is valid in Ireland and all BMW garages will cover it.

Advertisement