Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power consumption of Vodafone Gigabox SHG3000

Options
  • 30-03-2022 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭

Looking to manage my ESB bill, what is the power consumption of the Gigabox SHG3000?

Customer support don't know and google search provides no results!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

From A x V = W

2.5Ax12V=30W but this is based on max rating, actual max consumption would be closer to 15-20W especially if no USB in use

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭mrtom

That 30W is hourly I assume.I understand an"app" will access router settings and I can set a timer to cut down overnight consumption. Not sure how much I can save though (Vat, Kwh) in real world data. Appreciate your clear response...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Not sure about that. I believe there is setting to turn of WiFi by time schedule, but not actual router. Turning off WiFi will save you penny or two

You could get timer device that cuts power supply from socket, ~€10-15 https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=power+timer

If you take 20W and take enormous €0.5 per kW (very believable price to come 😑) and take that you have router powered down for 6hours over night....

0.02Kw x 6h x 365d x 0.5€= €21.9 per year( €1.825 per mth) if my mats not wrong 🙂

Soon we will be in "stone age" with fire torches

It would use about 20 watts max and mostly a lot less. That’s 0.02 kWh at about 18 cents per kWh that will cost you €31.50 per year, running it 24/7

Also the 20 watt consumption is probably a major over estimate as the router will use much less when nothing is happening and the maximum wattage on the adapter is not what it consumes, but rather the absolute limit or what it can supply. So it would include the router powering external devices by USB etc, which most are not.

It’s likely costing you less than €20 a year to power.

If you want to cut energy costs, the big consumers are things that run for long periods at high loads - heaters, old style non heat pump dryers, older dishwashers, poorly insulated traditional immersion heaters, old ovens with bad insulation, poorly insulated fridges (old ones usually) and also non LED incandescent lights / halogen lights, because they are so numerous.

Small electronics like routers, mobile phone chargers, even computers and TVs with LED screens have negligible impact on your bill.

Other than electric heating costs, and using LED lighting, updating to A+++ rated major appliances can have a big impact - especially traditionally high consumption dryers, dishwashers, ovens etc.

Things like long simmering cooking etc and very long showers (if electrically heated) add up fast.

Also use a site like Bonkers.ie to do a price comparison for your energy and shop around. Even if you’re in minimum period contracts, it’s often only a small penalty fee to change anyway. Doing a swap of power provider once a year is probably the biggest saving you’ll make.

Have your energy consumption stats ready when you’re doing it though. There’s no point in using vague ones / national averages.

Good advice, see my old fridge freezer in a new light now, while looking at newer models I noticed how much thicker the insulation is.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 27 ian123

I've analysed the SHG3000 and found it uses about ~10w - and peaks to about ~13-14 w if i do local speed tests, 3x UHD video stream sessions on top of background traffic load. The SHG3000 is plugged into an ONT - this consumes an additional ~1.7W. This was measured using a TAPO P110 smart switch/energy meter (which is fairly accurate)

the typical view of looking at the PSU and using that as a measure of power consumption is wrong. That is the peak energy the PSU can supply and while it might be close to what a connected piece of electronics might use during POWER ON, the power consumption of that piece of electronics is likely to be much lower when it is operating in steady state mode.

Advertisement