Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,516 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

There appears to have been a major failure of intelligence. They underestimated the Ukrainians to a great degree (probably through their inherent arrogance and racism towards their neighbours) and overestimated the Russian capabilities, not realising their own army was second rate and not fit for purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,411 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

No, it would be just like Russia to keep back their latest tech just for the parade...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭zv2

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Tends to happen a lot in autocratic states

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

Where to start...

Firstly, the idea that we can dispense with only targeting combatants in a war is an incredibly slippery slope. The line '...but everyone and anyone that could offer support to that government and military' I find chilling because 'could' is pretty much anyone. Small infants could grow up to support the war if it goes on long enough, therefore they should be killed, going by the logic of 'everyone and anyone that could offer support'.

Just because armies don't always respect the Geneva Conventions doesn't make them irrelevant. They were created to, at the very least, set a standard of conduct that might help prevent terrible atrocities. A lot of the warfare we have seen in the 21st century has been irregular - insurgent groups and fundamentalists and so forth. Such groups do not respect such documents as the Geneva Conventions. Groups like Al Qaeda have considered themselves to be at war with the entire Western establishment and have deliberately targeted innocent civilians. Osama Bin Laden gave many speeches on his justification for Al Qaeda's actions, but we still do not regard such events as 7/7 as anything other than a terrible crime, and certainly no legitimate act of war.

And, no, those Ukrainians who've just had their houses blown up may not object to the same happening to people in Russia, but there's a reason we don't usually allow such people to conduct military planning. Their decisions may be a bit hasty and rash.

Good piece here in the WP about Russian logistics and their issues during this war

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭brickster69

Sort of a partnership. One will provide the energy and raw materials the other will make the goods and sell the goods 70% cheaper to the other 80% of the world.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

Thankfully it looks like there are adults in charge of Ukraine.

If I looked back on your posts would I find you condemning any Taliban or ISIS terrorist attacks? What's the difference? Are ISIS or the Taliban righteous in their war against the West when they attack civilians - do you respect ISIS?

If the Ukraine attacked Russian citizens do you think it's possible the citizens of Western countries would be wondering why are we giving military support to a regime killing women and children (Russia would love to put bodies of dead children on the world media)?

Deep breath, step away from the keyboard and think...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

No just Russians facing the consequences of their war on Ukraine,

Or is this it's ok because the Russians say they are only denazifing Ukraine ,

So it's all good as long as it's not Russians getting bombed in their beds and hospitals

Jesus lads that Geneva convention is really working in Ukraine.

International red cross hq in Mariupol after being Bombed by Russia..

From the Guardian:

Russian president Vladimir Putin’s approval ratings surged in March to levels not seen in five years as the war in Ukraine enters its second month, according to an independent survey published Wednesday.

According to the Levada Center, which is Russia’s main independent pollster, Putin’s job approval grew to 83% in March from 71% in February. The last time Putin reached similar approval ratings was in 2017, prior to the introduction of an unpopular pension reform that raised the country’s retirement age.

The past month also saw increases in Russians’ trust for the country’s defence minister Sergei Shoigu, foreign minister Sergei Lavrov and the country’s ruling party United Russia, the pollster said.

The share of those who said Russia is moving in the right direction has also grown to 69%, a jump of 17% from the month before.

Independent sociologists have questioned the logic of polling public opinion in a country where information about the war is carefully curated by state television which has portrayed the country’s invasion of Ukraine as a defensive “special military operation” aimed at “de-nazifying” Kyiv. Sociologists have also said respondents in the country could be afraid to tell pollsters they are opposed to the war. Russia’s parliament earlier this month passed a far-reaching law imposing a jail term of up to 15 years for spreading intentionally “fake” news about the military.

Still, the latest Levada polling appears to indicate that the Kremlin has so far managed to galvanize support for its invasion of the country.

The Levada Centre has not released a poll of public opinion specifically on the war since the conflict began. Plans to publish results of an earlier poll were scrapped by the centre’s employees because of concerns that their results would promote the intensification of the conflict. State-run opinion polls have indicated that around 70% support the country’s actions in Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭circadian

I'm wondering if this is Putin's way of walking back on this and saying "Oh I didn't have a full view of what was happening, those responsible will be dealt with" yadda yadda yadda. Next he'll be saying he was unaware of the extent of destruction the Russian Army has caused, or the war crimes or anything else. He'll try to wring his hands of all and hang some in the MOD out to dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

You're missing my point. Take a screengrab of the Russian embassy diplomatic list on the DFA website. Refer back to it in a month or so when the names are updated and the missing names are the people (at least the Special Branch have determined) that were the spooks.

These were (presumably) the SVR/FSB people under diplomatic cover. If they were on your Ukrainian list, I don't know. Perhaps, perhaps not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭jmreire

When it comes to dealing with mines, unless you are a professional, the rule is keep away from them. And its the best way. I remember seeing a mine clearance operation one time, and thought that it was the ideal solution. It consisted of a tank, with two long arms mounted on it, pushing a big heavy roller in front of it. So the roller rolls over a mine and triggers it. big BOOM. The roller, because its mounted on hinged arm's, jumps 6 ' in the air before flopping back down, and on to the next one. Great. and the roller can handle several mines before it needs replacement. This worked very well until the mine layers came up with a solution. Instead of one mine, they started to use two, about 15 feet apart. The first one was set not to explode on contact, but linked to the 2nd one, and when the 2nd mine blew, it triggered the first mine. So both roller and tank was destroyed. There is a variant of the roller, where flails are used and for cluster bombs or the Russian variety, it work well. Unfortunately, for most mines, its a slow and painstaking job,,,mine by mine. And every year, even professionals get injured or killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Oh I know tactically it is not the way to go, but I don't have this aversion some have to simply because they are civilians.

They are citizens of an aggressor state and the enemy.

Besides it is moot point since Ukraine don't really have the capability to launch strikes on say Moscow, Khazan, St Petersburg.

Putin has ordered bombing of Ukrainian cities simply because it is his usual fall back plan.

He did it in Chechnya and Syria so revert to type when Plan A didn't work.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

What good does bombing Russian civilians do to the Ukrainian defensive effort of their country? Honestly?

Other than satisfying your apparent bloodlust for russians

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭html6

Has no one told them all the software engineers/developers have left the country.

• Advertisement

Yes it's called war ,

You know the war started in Ukraine for no other reason than putin wanted it .

Now explain why you don't want to see any Russians getting killed in a war they started ,

I wonder 🤔

This is exactly what I said

I'd be happy to see hundreds of missles to hammer Moscow ,st Petersburg and any other population centers in Russia. But first the Ukrainians need to push to take all of Ukraine back before turning Crimea into Mariupol flatten it

• Registered Users Posts: 15,879 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Putin, Russia and the West

• Season 1
    • 4 episodes

9pm BBC4 Today Wednesday - if people missed it the first time it was shown.

Yes, agreed, but ironically, that's exactly what Putin feared and went to war over. Russian's know and have known for a long time who is stealing the wealth, but unfortunately have been able unable to do anything about it. Putin had driven a coach and four ( and possibly several tanks too) through the Russian Constitution. And once he demolished Khodorfsky, the wealthiest of all the oligarchy's, that was it. No further opposition materialised.

I was thinking going to become the new copycat

Russia have never cared for any international laws,and have proven it time and time again.

But the Geneva convention .........

Only mentioned to protect Russians from Ukrainan missles ..

Some people......

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

That's been suggested as an endgame proposal quite a few times on this thread. They "gave up" NATO a good while back, Crimea is probably gone and those enclaves might be a small loss. Still a way to go IMO but common ground is starting to emerge. Makes a change to see him not threatening things.

Let them prove to the world what cowards they are,it shows what real losers do

He's nothing left to threaten ,he's gone down invading other countries , sanctions and nuclear weapons ,

Between him and the UN ambassador they have truly become the laughing stock

• Advertisement

Well, with the whole Country about to go green, maybe these vehs are destined for use in forested areas?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement