Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I am reading your posts, you are beating around the bush.

Since you feel that masks have been prematurely shelved, under what circumstances do you feel this decision should have been made?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Now that mask wearing is off the table so to speak..

Paul Reid and Donnelly should probably be stepping up with actual radical solutions with 6000 staff off work

Nobody should be getting into hospital right now who doesn't absolutely need to be there ,if that means triage and security at the door so be it and nobody should be wandering round hospital without medical grade masks on

Need to get staff back to work faster too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

With the greatest respect to gg when there is light ahead those who have grown afraid of life without the safety blanket of restrictions grasp on to "new variants" and "long covid", i have started to take it as good news when i see these fears mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

I totally agree with everything you say .

I am a mother first and foremost and even with a leg in the system have had many a painful night in A&E .

The fault for these issues does not lie with the hospitals but with the continuing deplorable management by HSE successive government ministers and lack of funding for medical personnel.

The whole system is broken and skewed towards private healthcare . This is why so many in healthcare and responsible politicians want Sláintecare which will fix this issue for once and for all.

But it is slowly being shelved by the present government, and dying on the table for lack of attention . Why ? because of pressure from the stakeholders of private healthcare who stand to lose a fortune if universal healthcare is available in Ireland . Also from the HSE top bods on big salaries who will be redundant/ less important with decentralising the health boards .

Make no mistake about it this is a political issue and your government appear happy to go with long waiting lists and queues for AE and GP services instead of dealing with the problem directly . Those politicians would prefer to be known for cutting this waiting list by throwing some money at it or that for a photo opportunity and the gratitude foreva of the poor parents of children waiting years for surgery when they had the means all along to solve the issue.

You are not reading them . I have said what I think many times , so you obviously are not interested really. That's ok.

At least you are polite awec in fairness I'll give you that .

I don't reply to posters who are rude and offensive like another on here .

• Advertisement

Today was an important milestone for personal freedoms and the move to living with covid

If the government had buckled here under the recent pressure it would have set an unwelcome precedent

If they mandated the masks and that didn't fix the hospital crisis they could be back looking for even further laws and back again for flu season every year

An important day for freedom and common sense

@Widdensushi Haha , am fearless for me , but maybe will just have to stop worrying about the nation so much, point taken 😊

We are( largely) in a better place ,I do agree .

Just to add, the last time I brought up about being careful about variants I was bashed for it too as everyone thought it was all over ,vaccines here etc

That was just pre Delta !

Post edited by Goldengirl on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

I'd say most of the posters waffling about personal freedoms doesn't actually have a clue what personal freedom actually is imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I wouldn't be looking to the WHO as an arbiter, their view is the world and it's true some parts are still facing challenges. They also seem a bit irked at countries declaring it over and downgrading its risk. That's their job but it did take them months to declare a pandemic!

It is not wrong to assume that we are now at or close to a level of herd immunity and that very many of us will likely get mild versions of COVID into the future if we even do. This is the most studied and most tested virus in history and now about 5 in every 10,000 cases or even fewer warrant medical intervention. Meanwhile we have people testing or overtesting themselves for what is genuinely no worse than a cold for virtually everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Right but surely the normal course of events here is to let the emergency powers lapse, and reinstate them if we actually get to an emergency stage again. Governments should't have emergency powers implemented unless needed at the time

It's not..come to my world . Not as many as before but still about 700 or more people needing more than paracetamol and a slaver of Vick.

Yes agree . Normally that is what should happen.

Problem is with noone to advise a pretty clueless minister about how this current wave will pan out , how does the minister know to recommend to the government?

This is a populist move on Donnelly's part . I hope it doesn't come back to bite him ( and us )in the proverbial.

Look , am outnumbered here obviously and could be answering till the cows come home , not going to change anything.

My opinion is that we need to watch things over the next few weeks and excercise caution and maskwearing if possible in crowded settings .

Oh and test and isolate if you have symptoms.

I bid you all adieu ! 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭User1998

“How do we know what’s happening if testing is abandoned”

I think that statement perfectly answers your question on weather the emergency has ended or not.

The fact we need to test people to get an idea of whats going on shows that the emergency has most definitely ended. If there was no more testing you wouldn’t be able to tell if there was covid about or just another bad flu season.

And how many healthcare workers would be able to return to work tomorrow if testing and isolating was to end? Its a few thousand isn’t it?

Surely that would be a massive help to hospitals and would enable them to deal with more patients?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

A reminder of what the emergency powers entailed that will expire tonight:

“”Micheal Martin confirmed in

the Dáil that pandemic emergency powers will

expire at midnight tomorrow.

He was responding to Independent TD Mattie

McGrath who said he had a petition with 3,000

signatures from people who wanted the powers

ended.

"Are they finished, as was promised, and will they

be gone?" he asked.

The Taoiseach responded the measures would

"obviously

" end because there had been no

amendment put before the Dáil.

The Health (Preservation and Protection and Other

Emergency Measures in the Public Interest) Act

2020 was signed into law in March 2020 and

extended until 31 March this year.

It gave Minister for Health Stephen Donnelly

powers to make regulations to slow down the

spread of Covid-19.

Under the legislation, he could make regulations to

restrict travel to and from Ireland and restrict

travel within Ireland to stop people moving to and

from affected areas.

It also gave the minister power to stop gatherings

of people from taking place and to make organisers

of these gatherings put in safeguards to prevent

the virus from spreading.

The powers also included making businesses (such

as shops) set up safeguards to protect their staff

and customers along with measures to close

premises, including schools.””

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

Of course we know what personal freedom is....

It's the ability to be maskless in the middle of another group of maskless people, all breathing each other's covid infested air, and there's no law, rule or regulation that says we can't do it ☺️

Kill a few patients? With infected healthcare workers ? Think we all know why testing cannot be stopped in hospital and for healthcare workers.

Not going to happen..discussed yesterday user1998 as to why not / cannot in reply to Seamus , if you are interested.

And do you know how many people are hospitalised in a "very bad flu season "?

My guess is, you don't at all and are just throwing around stuff .

I will not entertain that as a serious statement until you go and look up the flu season hospitalisations and compare them yourself.

Clue ...this is helluva lot worse !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Is there going to be a 5…4…3..2…1 countdown celebrations like on New Years eve tomorrow night? 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Oh yeah, you are a living proof of the very little knowledge, judging by your posts. Unless you are just taking a piss out of everyone and if that's the case I must admit you are doing very good job. And since when you are referring to yourself as "we". I've seen that happening on COVID threads a lot, must be another secondary product of pandemic, or way too much booze.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭VG31

Will there no longer be a legal obligation to self-isolate once the emergency powers lapse?

Not quite sure what you're rambling on about to be honest....

"We" refers to those of us within the community who have seen covid & the associated restrictions for what they are.... a case of the sniffles and a massive government, mass media & social media knee jerk overreaction to the pandemic.

"We" can all wander maskless and free in shops, airports, restaurants , etc. from midnight on Thursday and party like it's 2019, with no fear of ANY legal repercussions, because, well, the emergency laws will have lapsed.

That's a good question, but I doubt it.

However, going in to work with covid could see you in breach of whatever rules they have in place there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

This is a covid thread, when people talk about personal freedoms they talking about a return to life without any emergency legislation in place in response to covid.

While many accepted the first lockdown, and a lockdown for a few weeks after Christmas 2021, the carry on in between and ever since by NPHET, the media and politicians among others was completely excessive in response to a not so serious situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

That's never been a legal requirement , just the health guidelines of what you should do and it remains at 7 days for now. As mentioned above employers may still have their own sets of guidelines and rules.

Haha , "legal repercussions" , really !😁

Nothing stopping you " legally " going maskless all along if you wanted ! Except you would have been stopped at the door of some establishments .

But hey enjoy your new found freedom !

Yes, I'll give you that, but....

Those rules, or any of the other covid rules covered by the emergency legislation, could have been brought back in on a whim, but you know what I meant, and you're just nitpicking now.

That'll be the next frontier now business and employers dreaming up rules , just wait and see

It's already happening now with office workers and trade unions

• Advertisement

Trade unions (?) against " freedoms" ..never saw the like !

Advertisement