Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M20 - Cork to Limerick [preferred route chosen; in design - phase 3]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

Also interested. Can someone explain what Green, Amber, Navy means in this? https://www.limerickleader.ie/upload/2022_03_30/NM20_Cork_to_Limerick_Preferred_Option_Map-1648639074687.jpg

How much of it is motorway? Sorry for not doing much homework on this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Reminds me if M28 reporting. Always lead with the negative side of the story. Infuriating.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

A number of route opitons were published previously. They were given colour codes, Navy, Green etc. This shows what coloured route options will comprise the final route option, example the green route option was chosen between Cork and Mallow.

We don’t know yet how much will be motorway, we’ll find that out later in the year. We do know it’ll be a dual carriageway along its length

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

The proposed route runs adjacent/parallel to the current road and the maximum divergence is no more than a few km. It runs east of Mallow, east of Buttevant and west of Charleville. Two significant sections of the current road are incorporated, the Croom bypass and the section from Blarney to Mourneabbey.

The following appears in the brochure published today:

The preferred option commences just south of the Blarney junction and remains largely online to maximise the reuse of the N20 until it diverges eastward near Mourneabbey. Remaining to the east of the N20 it crosses the River Blackwater, the N72, the N73 and the River Awbeg as it bypasses to the east of Mallow and Buttevant until it converges with the existing N20 north of Buttevant. It then remains close to the N20 until it diverges westwards near Ballyhea, bypassing to the west of Charleville, before re-joining the N20 south of Croom. The preferred option reuses the N20 Croom Bypass and then diverges at Garranroe and runs west of the existing N20 until it reaches its tie in point with the existing M20/N21 at Attyflin.

So in summary, if driving from Limerick to Cork, you will still head out the M20 to Patrickswell, follow a line running south adjacent/parallel to the existing road and end up passing Blarney and heading into Blackpool. Only difference being you will coast along at 100/120kmh instead of dawdling along at 55kmh looking at the arse of a 98 KY silver fiesta with a sheep in the back seat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭DylanQuestion

So no changes to rail other than the introduction of an hourly service via Limerick Junction? Will that need any upgrading or could that theoretically be done tomorrow?

A hourly direct service could in theory be introduced tomorrow. The single biggest constraint is the absence of train-sets to service it. IE is chronically short of rolling stock a present however there are large deliveries due to start later this year. Note that this service would require very tight scheduling on the single track Limerick-Limerick Junction leg and would consequently be susceptible to delays. It would also not see the time improvements mentioned in this morning's announcement as these require both completion of existing upgrades ("Cork Line Level Crossings Project" and the "Cork Line Rehabilitation Project") and further improvements including track and signalling improvements in Limerick Junction and either additional passing loop/s between Limerick Junction and Limerick or double tracking between Limerick Junction and Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭rounders

Here is a interactive map showing the preferred route for anyone not familiar with the route options

https://www.pinpointcloud.co.uk/NM20-CorkToLimerick/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Are we envisaging double tracking between Limerick and Limerick Junction?

I’d imagine that a new alignment between Charleville and Limerick just wouldn’t make sense from a cost perspective.

What sort of time are they looking at for Cork - Limerick. Will there be an express service?

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Glenomra

Brilliant summary. Thanks. Appreciate that. However, I didn't realise that my little 98 fiesta had caused you so much grief!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

According to today's announcement Rail Option RS1 (the service via Limerick Junction) is being recommended by the project team for consideration within the All Island Strategic Rail Review. In the video presentation to Local Authorities it is noted that this will require "New Trains". The service is described as a "No Change" as opposed to an Express or Non-Stop service. Previously, Mallow, Charleville and Limerick Junction were mentioned as stops. The service improvemnt is listed as follows:

• Current Journey Time - 1 Hr 43 mins
    • With Line Improvements - 1 Hr 31 mins (I'm assuming this is the "Cork Line Level Crossings Project" and the "Cork Line Rehabilitation Project")
    • Option RS1 - 1 Hr 21 mins (introduction of new trains to allow a no-change service)

There is no mention of double tracking the Limerick-Limerick Junction Line. So the project team appear to be handing this over to IE, the NTA and Strategic Rail Review to do the detailed work.

Based on statements by Jim Meade double tracking could further improve the above, as it would allow considerably higher speeds and the removal of the single track safety margin on the Limerick-Limerick Junction leg.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but is the road being built alongside the current N20 or the road being upgraded? I commute from Mallow to Cork City, will there be years of roadworks and delays?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

So Eamon Ryan didn't fixed it so the preferred option would be a couple of bypasses then.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,586 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

As it's a dual carriageway/ motorway they should be able to build most of one side with out touching the present road, when combining there will be delays but it should not be years of delays. The parts that are quite wide at present (Croom bypass, Charlesville to Buttervant and the part going to Blarney exit should cause little or no delays. I presume that the poorest parts either side of Mallow and Charlesville to Croom will be new alignments. The bypasses around towns villages shod not cause disruption either.

Whatever happens it will be a whole lot better than the present shambles. It will make Cork Limerick and Galway a real counter to Dublin as a business attraction.

As well it great to see the M/N 24 is dead and buried

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

A bit of both. I suspect that probably yes there will be roadworks, particularly on the Mallow-Cork stretch. I suspect that probably yes there will be delays.

Both

Some of the N20 will be reused/upgraded, some sections will be totally new construction

• Registered Users Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Slightly disappointed the Limerick double-tracking isn't going to be linked in to this project. Also slightly surprised that they can do Cork-Limerick with no change, just with extra rolling stock. I didn't realise that was possible.

Some obvious gaps in my knowledge still:

Junctions: I remember all the furore of the previous M20 project's junctions, I hope this proposed design passes more smoothly!

Tie-in at the Commons Road: something will surely need to be done here long-term! Motorway traffic arriving into Blackpool just isn't going to work.

Active travel routes: hopefully they won't include the "go elsewhere" PFO routes of yesteryear. Blarney in particular needs a proper link to the city. The bones of it is already available it just needs to be regularised. Cycling to/from Blarney is for the brave/confident only right now. Mallow is currently progressing an East-West active transport route as a Co-Co scheme, so it would be lovely to see a North-South link provided as part of this project too. We can hope!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The parts of the existing route that’ll be reused will be the Croom bypass, approx 2km of road north of Buttevant at Velvetstown where a land reservation for widening exists already (the old M20 back in 2010 was to be phased in two parts and this was the centre point) and the new Mallow Road from approx the Burnfort turnoff in Mourneabbey to the existing N20 dual carriageway. This is a significant lot of road as the southern part in particular is tricky with terrain and will yield big cost savings.

Regarding rail improvements, from here on out the road and greenway elements will be done by TII & Limerick CoCo.

The rail element recommendation will be acted upon by the NTA and Irish Rail

Accordingly, I have created a new thread in infrastructure to continue the discussion

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058239542/cork-to-limerick-rail-improvements/p1?new=1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭serfboard

Indeed - not only that, but there doesn't seem to be a firm committment to double-tracking Limerick->Limerick Junction, which I would have thought that he would have been pushing very hard for. Since it will also help the Limerick->Dublin service, it's a no-brainer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭medoc

Has there been any thoughts to how the new road will tie in to the existing M20? Will they remodel the existing junction 5 or close it and build a new one to the west? Will the junction be like the existing M4/M6 and M7/M9 etc or full movement between the M20 and new M21? Hopefully whatever they do will be accounted for in both schemes as they progress.

The plan in 2010 was for the N21 west of the M20 to be an R road so this will be a completely fresh design.

The M21 west of the new junction will be the route to Foynes so this movement will have to be incorporated. It’ll be an interesting junction. I’d bet it’ll be something like the M53/M56 junction near Chester in England, if you can imagine that without the M56 heading west of there and treat the M56 coming from the east as the M20 in this context.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Or TII are just going through their process without ministerial interference (as should be, any generally always is, the case)? My comment was tongue-in-cheek.

I'm not surprisedthere is nothing on double-tracking Limerick->Limerick Junction, whether it is actually necessary will be considered as part of the All Island Strategic Rail Review.

Correct. This phase was about section option/s. It was not about the detail. In the same way that the road option is an outline with the detail and design to follow in later phases, the rail option is very high level with the detail and design to follow on later from the NTA and IE. I wouldn't read anything into the fact that dual tracking the Limerick-Limerick Junction wasn't mentioned.

@hans aus dtschl

Slightly disappointed the Limerick double-tracking isn't going to be linked in to this project. Also slightly surprised that they can do Cork-Limerick with no change, just with extra rolling stock. I didn't realise that was possible.

Jus to clarify I was asked if it was theoretically possible, and it is. It would certainly be sub optimal and could have negative consequences for other services. And IE could well play the safety card to block it.

Anyway no more talk of trains here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

This is a route definition - it says nothing about phasing of construction. There is nothing to prevent sections of this project being built as bypasses sooner, with the remainder built later. Remember that the examples cited by Ryan are projects that were built as Type 1 DC and later merged into a longer-distance motorway.

I don’t give a f__ about blue lines on maps, so to me, if the choice is bypassing Mallow and Charleville now with dual carriageways, or waiting for the cash to be available for the whole motorway project before turning a sod, then the “couple of bypasses” approach wins.

Oh, and as nobody posted it, here’s a repeat of the link to the official project site, which has been updated with the new documents, including the preferred route: Home new - N/M20 Cork to Limerick (corklimerick.ie)

This is a route definition - it says nothing about phasing of construction. There is nothing to prevent sections of this project being built as bypasses sooner, with the remainder built later. Remember that the examples cited by Ryan are projects that were built as Type 1 DC and later merged into a longer-distance motorway.

Looking at the map which was published today, the line of the road almost certainly rules out the option to build bits of it as bypasses first with the remainder to be built later. Not alone does the proposed location of the road as it passes Mallow, Buttevent and Charleville not facilitate this, it would require miles of additional new road to tie these sections in with the sections of the existing N20 that would remain in service.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭swoofer

And it will take years and years, don't think I will see it completed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

I predict that it will take twenty years to complete.

Advertisement