Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,917 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

My take on the Kenny reign he is doing OK. He deserves credit where it is due. I was critical of how he approached games the slow passive tippy tappy backwards stuff. He brought the energy and directness back. Best successes for Kenny are Bazunu - Ogbene. Massive pluses for him there.

Here comes the but! But I have noticed that there seems to be a cohort who look for ANY positive and tries to blow it up. Not just posters but those who should know better in the media spin on stats etc. We drew with Belgian etc. Look at Kenny’s smile etc.

Ok showed fight against Belgium. But it was Belgium B. And how seriously were Belgians taking it???

I have come to the conclusion that many who blindly praise Kenny - equate Kenny not just as Irish football manager. But the ONLY possible saviour of Irish football!

Then add in supporters in their teens/20’s who were starved of success it becomes an almost religious fervour. I feel the media know this. They play up to it. As it sells and gets the clicks. Trying to create a hype.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭Gusser09

He was and looks like he can offer something going forward. Probably just a solid option like McClean but that's better than nothing.

I wouldn't writing off Manning @ 25 and with well over 100 games in the championship played. I think McClean still has a couple of years ahead of him in the squad though.

It's the die hard LOI section who back him regardless of performance and results. He does deserve credit at this stage and we have to remember that he is bedding in a lot of new players who are young for the best part. At the same time though criticism of him during his first campaign and earlier games of his tenure was warranted.

He is learning though all the time. He showed this during the latest squad announcement with Obafemi. I do feel though Randolph should have been called into the squad. I wonder if he didn't go on twitter would he have been brought it. The 4TH choice keeper will almost never play but to be fair if our top 2/3 were out for competitive games he would be needed. No way would you want Talbot playing. Not a reason though to have a dig at Kenny.

He has fully earned his new contract and extension but what irks me is any little criticism of him is met by venom and bile by the LOI diehards.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I wouldn't be McClean's biggest fan as a footballer but he seems to be involved in the game a lot more than Doherty on the other side of the pitch.

Similarly Manning seemed a lot more involved than Doherty last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,146 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Practically everybody struggles against weak teams who park the bus. That's why they park the bus. Tactically we didnt do anything other teams wouldn't have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

McClean isn't a bad player, but he's a bit limited. He has a high level of commitment and a decent, but not brilliant cross and that's about it. He's not especially quick at his age and doesn't really have any tricks to beat a man. He does make the most of what he has with his work-rate, I think even his biggest detractors would agree that he cannot be faulted that way unlike some people (cough*Hourihane*cough). But as a starter I think he's just a bit short of the quality we need. As long as the defender doesn't let him get a yard for his cross, he can be completely taken out of the game as an attacking force. He's generally ok defensively, but isn't so spectacularly good that you'd trade it for limited attacking output.

To be fair he is not first choice, Stevens is. But Stevens keeps getting injured. Between that and the fact that McClean and Stevens are 32 and 31, we should, imo, make more use of Manning, who's looked a better player to me any time he's played. McClean is probably good to have in the dressing room, but not at the expense of a better player.

Doherty just seems to go missing for spells of games. And what annoys is he can be a big threat 5 or 10 minutes of a game, but then otherwise goes quiet. Is that something he did at Wolves? Since I didn't watch them I only ever saw him as highlights, which can mislead.

Didn't mind him as a LM back in the day but probably wouldn't be picking him now.

In the second Serbia game he took around 5 shots.. far too much for a LB and for at least three of those the pass was the wrong option(players in good positions for the pass).. think of Doherty last night when he knocked the ball around the LB and smashed it over(where there was 4 in the box and the shot wasn't high %).

His crossing has been dreadful as well.

What he will give though is effort, he'd break someone's leg in a friendly when most lads don't want to get down and dirty (must be awful to be stuck on his side in a low key match).

I suppose from the other side of it is nobody is being held out glaringly to accommodate him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I like seeing McClean in for the games against the stronger sides such as Serbia, Portugal, Belgium etc. You know he will give 100%, he is physical, strong, quick and a leader on the pitch. In the games against smaller teams who sit back however I find him very frustrating as his lack of technical ability adds to our struggle of breaking a team down. I'd say he is going through a decent past 12 months in an Ireland jersey, but it is a position that will become up for grabs in the not too distant future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

Interesting interview with Keith Treacy on Undr the cosh podcast. Talks about his time at Ireland and battle with drink at a young age. He was a decent player when younger, could have been so much better but fair play to him seems in a better place now. Worth a listen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭athlone99

Belgium's B team had more premier league players starting than we have in our squad. All those players are playing for a place in the World Cup squad so your using that as an excuse to have a dig at Kenny. Can you not just be happy that he has the team playing fairly well, starting to win games, score goals and keep clean sheets? What do you always have to have a dig? Its not perfect, but a hell of a lot better than the last 15 years.

I am happy with what Kenny is doing, he is building something. Still doesnt stop me saying the Lithuania game was quite poor, we struggle to break down teams who are ranked lower than us, but thats been a problem for 20 years. We need a good number 10 to come through and we have a few lads showing potential. What we do know after other night as many have stated Hourihane is just a waste in the squad, better off having a young player who will at least try something, he offers nothing and even his so called excellent set pieces have gone.

So you would rather play an almost 40 year old keeper who has played 1 game in 18 months than a keeper that's been playing week in week out for years and who has been in and around the squad a few times? Nonsense stuff

I'm an LOI diehard, some of the Football under Kenny has not been great but its a work in progress and i can see the squad getting better every window. I would throw it back at you that some "non LOI fans" still think its 2001 where we have 60 players playing in the premier league and not the fact that we now seem to have 2 or 3 guaranteed starters in the premier league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭trashcan

I think the fact that LOI diehard is being used almost as some kind of insult is quite telling. I too would consider myself such, if going to support my team every other week constitutes that. I won’t deny it, I would give Kenny extra rope because of his background, others it seems are determined that he can do no right, and I suspect a lot of that is due to his background too. If people seem overly defensive of Kenny I would argue it’s because some of the criticism has bordered on the hysterical at times. We all know that the team struggled early on in his tenure, we all know that it’s not perfect yet. But it is improving.

Randolph is 34?? Nearly 40??

He has 50 caps or so and has never put a foot wrong for us. If our 3 main goalies were out would you play Talbot or Randolph on a competitive game?

Its not a big deal really as we are talking about 4th choice.

Im not having a dig at the LOI really. More so the fact that any criticism of Kenny is met with disbelief and staunch defence. I think the man has settled nicely into the role and we have improved. But the criticism of his tactics and results in the earlier games was justified. I wont say calling for the man to be sacked was justified because it wasnt. That wasnt right.

I would throw it back at you that some "non LOI fans" still think its 2001 where we have 60 players playing in the premier league and not the fact that we now seem to have 2 or 3 guaranteed starters in the premier league

That was the problem with a lot of the criticism. People acting like we have a god given right to beat "minnows". Most people backing Kenny including myself were just asking for time while he built something which he very much has.

Also the really vehement critics got very silent when asked who could do better. All we got was some vague "Allerdice type" stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Didn't like Kenny's reaction to the late winner on Tuesday night

I can understand his feelings as I'm sure he was elated & relived but i think a manger has to sometimes hold his emotions ,

He needs to be leader for the players and make them realise winning a game like that is a must & nothing else is acceptable

His reaction to me was very amateur hour stuff ,

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭athlone99

Ok he's 34. Has signed and stayed with a club where he is 3rd choice and appears to have little or no interest in playing. If the main 3 were injured I would still look at picking a keeper who is playing. Randolph has never let Ireland down but his current situation is all of his own making and I think we should move on from him. If he was first choice at a club he would still be number 1 for Ireland but he has decided he would rather live in London and get paid to be 3rd choice so good luck to him.

I see the staunch so called LOI support of Kenny has been as loud and over the top as the Kenny out/He hasnt a clue/he never managed in England crowd. The more people in that camp called for his head the more Kenny fans defended him. I always thought it had to be a 4 year project due to the age of the squad/quality in it and i think and hope they are now building something. Midfield is still the main problem, not enough creativity or players actually playing games. We had 2 midfielders leave premier league clubs on loan and go to the championship to get game time and they are not struggling to start, says a lot about those to me.

Maybe that's what the players like to see in him. Maybe that exuberance is why they are loving playing for him.

I don't know any of the players personally so I wouldn't comment on how they will react to his celebration.

It was a team we (everyone) should be beating though and hopefully he drilled that home afterwards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I assume you feel Parrott shouldn't have celebrated also?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Embarrassing for who? I wasn't embarrassed. I doubt SK is either.

On a personal level getting a win was a big deal for him as the doom and gloom merchants will start harping on about the amount of wins v the amount of losses since he took over.

The buzz about the team is something I haven't experienced for years and the some of the players brought in have been a breath of fresh air.

For everyone its a friendly against Latvia ,

I don't get the "BUZZ" currently its failing by a larger margin but just in a different way,

I don't hate they style of play i just think we need a change in mentality to become winners (well sometime winners) , Kenny & co seem happy to lose or draw playing & his celebration looked like a man who couldn't believe his luck in a Friendly v Latvia,

I think it just adds to popular opinion that he is trying to manage something which is above his station ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,991 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Can't complain about results so gotta complain about someone celebrating a goal now. If I had the privilege to manage my country I'd be taking off down the touchline Jose style whenever we scored.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

Ah will ya stop he's entitled to celebrate a 97th minute winner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭NITRO95

This is funny coming from the guy who defended Klopp making his team take a bow after a 2 all draw at home to West Brom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭NITRO95

It was Lithuania not Latvia but don't let that small detail derail your ramblings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭kksaints

Eh, we played Lithuania on Tuesday night not Latvia.

I don't get your point. The buzz is around the team in general. Not just a Tuesday night match with Lithuania. The football on display is streets ahead from where it was under McCarthy. The team can now string together a couple of passes without losing the ball or doing a hopeless hoof. We are no longer reliant on a set piece to have any hope of scoring a goal.

Against Lithuania we dominated them in every area of the pitch. We had a lot of chances but maybe the quality to finish wasn't quite there. Bear in mind this was essentially an Ireland B team with some very important players left out (Cullen being the main one) yet we still comprehensively dominated Lithuania.

The players have clearly taken to SK and seem to be enjoying playing. Even Hendrick has been decent recently and I would have been one of his biggest critics previously.

What would you like to see that you are not seeing exactly? If you think we are going to be winning tournaments then that is pie in the sky stuff (barring a freak occurrence like Greece winning the euros).

What do you want to see done differently?

What players should be called up that are not being?

A bit different no ?

He asked his players in a league game to go thanks the fans of not turning on them when they went 2 -0 down ,

For sure when you win a game representing your country just look glum and shrug. That's what's conducive to a good team spirit

Iv no probably with the style , i don't care once re about the style off football if we are not qualifying for tournaments ,There is no proper way to play football ,

I care about mentality we show & the celebration for me was over the top & embarrassing

We pass the ball around better but our results are slightly worse than before ,

• Advertisement

I care about mentality also celebrating like that together shows camaraderie within the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,311 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

A 20 year old lad with a cracker of a goal in the last minute of a game to win it is always a cause for celebration.

Anyone complaining is just looking for something to whinge about - could do with a bit less negativity when we've actually had good performances, scoring goals and there is a good buzz about the games when international windows could be previously drab affairs.

I previously questioned Kenny but recent performances have been encouraging, the support is there and we're in a decent position for the Nations League and Euro 2024 Qualifiers which is in fairness, what Kenny should be judged on.

Embarrassing me hole, worse things to be moaning about.

More embarrassing struggling to beat Andorra in an actual qualifier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Didn't see Kerr the other night but read his comments, what a bitter man. Does he have something personal against Kenny or is just any Ireland coach since he was let go?

Whether there's truth in it or not, and honestly I do find it hard to believe but Tottenham are supposedly gonna be making a move for Luke McNally.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Switzerland (4-0) didn't struggle against them, nor Latvia (3-1) or Northern Ireland (4-1) Kosovo (4-0) or Belarus (2-0).

In fairness, it was only his 5th win in 22 games, he's not used to winning. Andorra, Azerbaijan, Qatar, Luxembourg and now the mighty Lithuania. We're truly in a golden age of Irish football management.

It's about context though isn't it, He ran down and jump into his assistants arms after a goal in a friendly v Lithuania

A fist bump would have been enough ,

And you put that comment after a win. I can only imagine the comments after a draw or a loss.

Maybe you will answer this as the other guy didn't or couldn't answer

What do you want to see done differently?

What players should be called up that are not being?

• Advertisement

Also in the same WC qualifiers Switzerland only put one past them in the reverse fixture at home, Northern Ireland only put one past them in the reverse at home. Italy were the only team to battering them away from home and only put two past them in the first fixture in Lithuania.

We'd the ball in the net five times. Had it being the other way round and the first goal early in the game wasn't ruled out and then we had four goals ruled out nobody would be complaining.

Actually forget that last part the usual suspects would still be complaining.

I would have looked at Dunne, Obafemi, Scales. It was a friendly, the last one we'll have before the nations league, and what have we learned? That Hourihane and Browne who've never had a good game for Ireland aren't good enough players for Ireland and that Will Keane is useless in the system we play. McGrath and Ronan could also have been looked at.

Instead of his usual 3-5-3 he could have looked at a plan B. Nothing I've seen will convince me that Kenny is not out of his depth and will leave us worse off than we were before he got handed the job.

We scored 1 goal. Having the ball in the net from an offside position counts for absolutely nothing.

If our 3 main net minders were out would you go for Talbot or Randolph? I get the goalie playing regularly thing I really do. But for me it would have to be Randolph over Talbot all day long.

Midfield is a huge issue no doubt but I think SK is trying to instill a system where we aren't reliant on a creative cm player. A lot of our creative play is funneled down the wings or it starts with a deep sitting no10 like Parrot. I think the hope may have been for Hendrick to come good at QPR but that hasn't panned out yet. Knight is probably still a bit raw to go into games and be able to create against international opposition. Our other options likes Ronan and McGrath probably won't be good enough to do it and I don't think Browne is consistent enough even for PNE. We have a heap of options up front and a heap of options in defense or on the wing but in central midfield there is just very little coming through at present. God be with the days we took Lee Carsley, Kinsella and Holland for granted.

They played an offside trap & we failed to break it on several occasion's

How in gods earth can you count that as something in our favour ? its not like it happened by mistake, they played for it ,

100 per cent. It's the basic fabric of the game really at this level to win. Great to see Troy and Kenny so happy at winning. I'd be more concerned if they kind of looked around and said "meh".

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

extra.ie are saying it is a 9 figure bid. 100m+ seems a tad pricey :D

Dunne and Ronan were introduced to the experience which is consistent with how SK has introduced others.

What we learnt is that Collins can step in for Coleman if required and O'Shea has gotten more experience playing a long side Egan.

Scales is potentially one for the future once he starts playing regularly. Obafemi has been done to death where you can either believe the official reasons or not. Agreed though I would like to see him get a run.

We learned that Parrott is ahead of Keane in the pecking order.

We learned that Bazunu is still the number 1. Number 2 is questionable but hopefully Travers can get a run in the next friendly.

We learned that midfield is a problem if Cullen gets injured.

We saw Knight play. He did ok and now has that bit more experience. I expect him to be a future starter.

We learned that Manning is a viable alternative for James McClean.

We learned that our forwards need to be more aware of their surroundings.

Not sure on McGrath. Is he injured? I would have thought he was a first choice under SK.

The plan B was that he changed the formation late on to try and get a win by taking Collins off and bringing on McClean.

We learnt that there is a desire in the team to do well and keep going when they have a sniff of victory.

IMO that is a lot of data to get from a couple of games.

I added practically at the last minute there because I knew someone would come along with a "but but but"

I was talking not just about Lithuania but in general. Even the likes of Liverpool and Man City have days when they need a last minute winner against a team that someone else beat 4-0. It just happens that sometimes parking the bus works and that's why so many do it.

• Advertisement

Maybe it was an upside down 6 :)

He has impressed though at Oxford though. he is one of the form CB's in League 1. No reason why he can't can't go on to play at a higher level again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement