Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Machinery Photo/Discussion Thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,595 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

A bit late for the second bit of that message.

Well I suppose it could still happen yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,595 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

• Registered Users Posts: 2,480 ✭✭✭Jb1989

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

They’re local tillage farmers, run a good show

say just having a bit of fun 😄

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Looking for some help.i need to replace some scalloped disc s on the harrow.the harrow is a souchu et pinet and the disc dimensions are 580 or so diameter and a square hole of 1 and1/4.i can find a parimeter smooth in the right size but not a scalloped

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Try Murphys in Littleton Tipperary. Got sorted with something similar, only a touch smaller last summer. May have to be ordered in.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,669 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Do you want to bring them in yourself? Try agri-linc, they have a square bearing anyway.

https://www.agri-linc.com/

Try sending Dawg a PM.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭enricoh

Talking to a lad today that does scrap n he was saying scrap metal prices are as high now as he can ever remember. Might be no harm if lads have a few yokes covered in briars to poke them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Before the nettles get going for another season hey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭ginger22

The Mahle is a high speed geared 4.2 Kw. We do them for 180 plus vat.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

should be a handy tool around the place this year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

For the locking pin eye of euro brackets, should there be an edge for the loader headstock to push up against, so the locking pins don't take any strain? I noticed some brackets do (like in photo) and some don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Gudstock

For the mechanically minded on here, the above is a photo of the chains and sprockets driving the mixer and auger in a turf hopper. I need to increase the speed of the auger to push out turf quicker to suit the lowest available speed in my tractor. Does the sprocket highlighted, the first one off the pto and gearbox need to be replaced with one with less or more teeth to speed up the auger? The auger is driven by the sprocket at the bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭DBK1

It would need to have more teeth.

Basically the more teeth the “driving” sprocket has, the more the chain moves for every rotation of it, so therefore the more the “driven” sprocket will move thus speeding up your auger.

How much more speed do you think you need?

From trying to count in the picture it looks like a 32 tooth sprocket driving a 42 tooth. So for every 1 rotation of the highlighted sprocket the auger is only doing three quarters of a rotation. Increasing the highlighted sprocket to a 42 tooth, the same as the auger sprocket, will bring the ratio to 1:1. That would be increasing the auger speed by almost one third more than the current speed.

Post edited by DBK1 on

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

Or decrease the number on the bottom sprocket?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dzer2

Increasing the size of the drive sprocket will increase the speed of the auger and mixer together. Also it will increase the pressure and wear on the bearings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭DBK1

It will increase the speed of the auger also but because there is such a size difference in the sprockets on the mixer it won’t be as big an increase.

For we assume the highlighted sprocket is turning at 50rpm and the sprockets are a 32 and 42 tooth, then currently the bottom auger shaft is turning at 38.1 rpm. At a guess it looks like maybe an 18 tooth sprocket on this shaft driving a 76 tooth on the mixer so the mixer would be currently spinning at 9rpm.

If the auger sprocket is now changed to a 42 tooth and everything else remains the same, the highlighted sprocket is still doing 50 rpm, the auger will now increase to 50rpm also and the mixer will be increased to 11.8rpm.

So the extra 12rpm on the auger only gives an extra 2.8rpm on the mixer.

@Gudstock if you can check if my sprocket sizes are correct and tell us what you’re trying to achieve with speeds I’m sure we’ll get you sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

I need to increase the speed of the auger to push out turf quicker to suit the lowest available speed in my tractor.

Is there any chance it's a 1000RPM gearbox on the hopper being driven at 540RPM?

Did this hopper spread turf at an adequate speed before?

I'm not sure how big of a benefit the speed increase of the lower auger will be towards being able to increase forward speed significantly.

Is wear visible on the auger flights?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭Odelay

You’d be surprised the difference 5-10% more teeth can make. I’ve sped up machines that way and rarely an issue.

Never been asked to slow anything down for some reason..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Anyone know what the new D-Max is like to tow with the 1.9D engine and is there much of a difference between it overall and a Hilux?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I have said D max.

I tow with it regularly. Personally I find it fine. It's geared quite low. So lots of torque in the lower gears. I'd find going up a hill with any sort of a load you would need to drop back a couple of gears alright. Towing about 1.5 tonne I'd average 9.5km per litre. Regular mixed driving without trailer about 11.5 litres to 12

• Registered Users Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

@AckwelFoley We'd do quite a bit of towing. Mostly couple of silage bales and loads of cattle in a 10x5. Live at bottom of a hill so long steady drive up to 1000ft to get to outlying land.

Wouldn't want to flog a 1.9. 2.8 Hilux might be better fit but it'll take a few more suck calves to buy it. The 2.4 Hilux seems to be an equivalent for the D-Max - latter has a few more Hp and the former more torque.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

@funkey_monkey if you have allt of heavy towing to do regularly the hilux is probably the best option for sure. I think the 2.8 has 40bhp more than the Dmax. The dmax suits me as I use it every day as a car and then to tow 1.5 tonne long distance every so often. I could use something smaller but I wanted specifically the size. She doesn't get pushed around the road at all and you'd hardly notice the weight of the trailer. But getting up into regular 3.5 tonne loads is a different kettle of fish for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

Anyone have a cheap shear grab for sale?

Looking for a pair of short strong rams, so the rest really isn't important.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Dozer1

Have mf4355 here and she's started to run hot the last few weeks. Got the thermostat changed and improved a bit but still running hot some days others it's fine. Could it be the water pump. Lad coming to look at again next week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Dozer1

Yes snoopy nosed one

• Advertisement

They were at the limits for cooling at the best of times.

Check that the radiators are clean before checking the water pump

Advertisement