Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moving from PUP to JSB

• 31-03-2022 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

Hi

I was initially on PUP €208 (I have a feeling the business is closing down, but anyhow).. and was paid up to and including Tuesday this week. On Wednesday I received a further €83 which looks like JSB at a lower tier

I’m a bit worried now that next week I won’t be paid a €208 amount and will only get €83 again which is a disaster

Any ideas? I assumed I’d be moved automatically from PUP to JSB but for that same amount (€208)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,029 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Morning,

Have you received a letter explaining your transition to JSB, this letter will state the department has reviewed your contributions (2020) to assess your entitlement to JSB and rate you will recieve. Hopefully it says €208, the maximum, this is a reflection of what you also earned pw in 2020.

Now, the €83, this was paid the day after your last PUP payment. What this was for is the gap between your last PUP (Paid in arrears) and the first few days of entitlement to JSB, If you check your mywelfare, look at payments, PUP is now gone off the portal and JSB showing and what you've received to date and for what dates (€83).

Moving forward and depending on what your transition letter states, your next payment will be that amount and paid on Wednesday next, not Tuesday.

Hope this makes sense.

Did you also get a notification letter in mywelfare 🤔, this caused confusion, basically poorly worded, it states your PUP eligibility has been reviewed and your no longer entitled and it will stop and gives reason and bizzarely invites people to appeal the decision, despite PUP now ended entirely. I'm guessing it was an automated letter sent when a person's PUP stopped, it really should have just confirmed PUP has ended.

PS, I went to college not a million miles from Cashel 😁

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭TippCashel

Thank you for the response!

'Did you also get a notification letter in mywelfare 🤔, this caused confusion, basically poorly worded, it states your PUP eligibility has been reviewed and your no longer entitled and it will stop and gives reason and bizzarely invites people to appeal the decision, despite PUP now ended entirely. I'm guessing it was an automated letter sent when a person's PUP stopped, it really should have just confirmed PUP has ended.'

So yes, the above is what I recieved on MyWelfare - I didn't receive anything else on top of that then.

Just had a look at MyWelfare there now and can see alright that I have been 'awarded' Jobseekers Benefit

My 1st payment of it was: Basic rate

28 Mar 2022  30 Mar 2022

I wonder does that mean that going forward that'll be my weekly payment? (I think I'd cry), or is that just a 2 day amount from transitioning from PUP?

Also - A good education you had so!! haha

Hi , yes indeed Tipp the county for a good education (Rockwell 😏)

I'm helping a neighbour who's not computer friendly 😁

OK, did you actually receive a letter by snail mail a few weeks back, it was sent out to anyone transitioning to JSB from PUP.

On this letter it states the rate you've been awarded. The highest rate is €208 per and is based both on contributions and your gross average salary in 2020 (year applicable) for any applications made in/assessed in 2022.

People sometimes assume JSB is automatically the highest rate of €208, it is not and is reflective of your previous earnings .

So that transition letter is crucial. But based on what you received (€83) , I'm confident you will get the full max rate of €208 next week 😏

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭TippCashel

Funnily enough I don't think I got a postal letter at all (but I might be forgetting the fact)

If it's based on 2020 salary it definitely should be the 'higher' rate I suppose so that's a relief. I'll take the risk of seeing what happens next week

Thanks a mill for your help! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭davesangel

I'm in the exact same position: previously on €208, received €83 last week, but did not receive a snail mail letter, so I'm nervously awaiting checking my bank tomorrow to see how much I get as I can't live on less than €208 right now.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't be too concerned , I can't explain why some people got letters and others apparently not , infact my neighbour whom I'm assisting got another letter on Friday.

This letter refers to previous letter confirming movement to PUP , payment will continue to be paid into bank account and also explains the €83 payment last week, it finally mentions there will be a requirement to sign on occasionally, location and details to come.

If you've received the €83 you've now transitioned to JSB, and it should also state this in your mywelfare account .

Post edited by Dempo1 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭head82

Hope I'm not derailing the thread here but wasn't there some mention awhile back of a sliding scale transition for those moving from PUP to JSB.

So instead of automatically receiving the maximum JSB of €208 when PUP ended, the amount you receive would be based on a percentage of your previous earnings (pre PUP) and gradually decrease to JSB levels.

Perhaps it was just 'talk' and not actually legislated.

You are slightly correct but it's not a sliding scale assessment at present, JSB rates are partly assessed at previous Gross weekly pay and contributions for year applicable, in this case 2020. For example if you earned €300 pw or more , your rate is €208 but would be less if you earned less than €300 pw .

The sliding scale you may be referring to is a proposal to assess JSB on previous earnings generally but this as yet to get beyond discussion stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

i can’t see this ever happening while the Left are in the ascendency in Ireland. They’d be absolutely outraged.

I tend to agree, it seems to be a FG led policy but I not getting a sense of widespread support for it albeit it would make sense. I believe it's the norm in a number of European and Scandinavian countries.

• Advertisement
Advertisement