Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭tgdaly

Did this not also happen to Spain for 2019?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,681 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Hope Spain not kicked out, think it happened to them previously -

Regarding Ireland, how important has the arrival of POC to the setup been ?

We looked quite stale under Farrell in the early days, I'd say POC is adding passion to setup . Future coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Happened to Spain!? They did it themselves. It wasn’t done to them.

I wouldn't really put our early 'Farrell' form and our current 'Farrell' form down to POC. Going to sound biased here but the Leinsterfication of the Irish team was to me the catalyst for our performances in November and throughout the six nations. Japan perform at world cups because they build club level cohesion into the national team.

I've no doubt O'Connell brings plenty of 'passion' to the setup but I'd say of far greater import is the guile he has instilled in our lineout and I'd imagine he's had input in how we organise around the breakdown. Our interplay between forwards and backs and the ability of our forwards to engage in link play is how we are getting around teams, that wouldn't really have much to do with POC to be honest. It's facilitated by a fast breakdown which could well be attributed in part to him, but it's cog in the wheel stuff.

As for Spain, I'd rather they came through simply because the Romanian pack is going to be that little bit more gnarly and whilst we'll win against either team we'll be a little bit more bruised after a game against Romania in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I think POC has been very good for the pack. As far as our playing style goes it's probably due to Catt.

• Advertisement

Wait and see what happens/outcome , it may be a petty administartion error.

Spain have priors in this regard. Either way, if it is just an admin error it’s still their admin error. This is something they have done to themselves and not something that was done to them.

Wow - you sound like you will be happy if they are kicked out - people make mistakes, Spain would not be as professional as tier 1 nations, I'd be just happy for game to grow, and accept people make mistakes in life. Maybe it is a serious issue , then fair eneogh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Wasn't it very unclear the first time if they had indeed played an illegible player, no where near cut and dried. But kicking them out got rid of the allegations of corruption against a ref for rugby Europe.

And this time a player has stayed out of the country for an extra few days. Spain Rugby might not have known.

The player in this case should bear most of the blame.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The fact that it would be the second time they've done it in relatively quick succession would remove much sympathy from me. I don't think/hope they will be kicked out, but its pretty ridiculous that they find themselves in this position again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

Plenty of non-tier 1 nations manage to avoid (allegedly) fielding ineligible players.

It’s possible to be sympathetic and recognise that they are the responsible party at the same time. No matter how innocent or not, this is something they did and not something that was done to them. If they have to pay whatever price for that then that’s on them, nobody else.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I think others have summed up the arguments against it pretty well, but additionally, if you were part of a team that was eliminated by a team who had fielded an ineligible player, at any level, you’d be pretty aggrieved.

I don’t think it’s a particularly high bar to ask of teams that are hoping to compete at a Rugby World Cup.

I said that it depends on what the infringement was, someone above says its a player who over stayed his stay , by a few days, hardly worth kicking an emerging team out of a WC , and the damage it will do to that country. But I don't know if true or what the actual charge is, and will say no more on it until I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

If my j4 team can field a team of eligible players for the end of season cup run I'm sure Spain can do so for a world cup qualifier.

I'd love Spain to qualify fwiw

• Registered Users Posts: 11,360 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Spain probably didn’t ring a 43 year old flanker and ask him to play on the wing because he’s not cup tied.

Eh he's actually 39 thank you very much...

And he plays in the front row now

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Absolutely. But a lot of them do.

So I see no valid reason an international team trying to qualify for the biggest tournament in the world can't field an international team

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I think the intricacies of International eligibility might be just a tad more difficult to manage though. You would certainly think after the last time. They would have checked every possibility this time around though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

6N Fixtures out: Wales v IRELAND

Principality Stadium, Saturday 4th February, KO 2.15pm

IRELAND v France

Aviva Stadium, Saturday 11th February, KO 2.15pm

Italy v IRELAND

Stadio Olimpico, Saturday 25th February, KO 2.15pm

Scotland v IRELAND

BT Murrayfield, Sunday 12th March, KO 3.00pm

IRELAND v England

Aviva Stadium, Saturday 18th March, KO 5.00pm

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

Those fixtures could suit us, having France early and at home will leave us in position to know what we need to do for the rest of the fixtures. That is unless England cop themselves on and offer a better opposition than this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Who's coming over for the autumn series? I hope to see the wallabies and the boks.

• Administrators Posts: 53,836 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Not confirmed yet but hard to see it being anyone other than SA and Australia, both haven't been here in ages.

Definitely won't be NZ, Argentina were here last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

I think Australia and South africa are all but confirmed for November. With it being a world cup year I wonder will we try and play 4 games instead of the usual 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Just waiting on confirmation of July fixtures in NZ now too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

3 tests with 2 mid week games v the mauri's1st one before the first test and second one in the week before the 3rd test.

Tests in Auckland, dunedin, Wellington.

This perfectly sets us up for a spectacular hype train derailment for the RWC 2023.

Grand Slam winners 2023 only to be predictably knocked out in the quarters against NZ/France. I can hear Ewen McKenna jizzing himself already.

I am ready for the rollercoaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

Dunno... That 6 day turnaround between Murrayfield and the English in Dublin will stretch resources at the end of the tournament methinks.

And our record in Cardiff is shite, albeit this is one of the worst Welsh teams in my living memory, so we should be favourites to get a win there nonetheless.

We'll beat the French in Dublin regardless though. 😊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

Antoine Frisch looks a very decent player, but it would be great if the IRFU could identify some big IQ locks and loosehead props, which is where we're actually short. We've got centres coming out our ears.

And I get that Munster we're in the market for a centre and Frisch should be a good signing. But from an Ireland point of view, it's locks and LH props we need. Atonio and Willemse for France are both imports (although they qualified through residency) and look at the impact they have made.

Our imports like JGP, Aki, Hansen, Lowe are all excellent players (in Lowe's case, world class) but they're all in positions where we already have many options. We should focus more on bringing in IQ imports to fill the positions where we're light.

Advertisement