Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Rugby Discussion 3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

What about Glasgow players diving at Conor Murray's knee?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,122 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Yes they do deliberately go out willing to commit offenses that if caught will result in a red card. Same as they go out and commit offenses that warrant a yellow in the hopes of getting away with it. A player doesn't say on the 56th minute I am gonna do x but they know they are willing and capable of needs be. Now I don't think they want to break Sextons spine but I guarantee if they hit him and he has to go off injured they are saying "job done" whether it legal or not.

I can't believe people don't think this goes on in every sport.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Callum Clark?

Duncan McRae?

Julien Dupuy

Schalk Burger?

Dammit, time flies, none of these are in the last 10 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Rugbymad2020

What about Healy trying to snap a players leg?

What you are describing here is sociopathy. Do you think rugby is littered with sociopaths?

I think the majority of instances of actual violence in rugby, ie: cases where a person went outside the laws of the game to intentionally hurt or injure someone are much more likely to have been a 'heat of the moment' loss of perspective or a flash of anger. This idea of premeditated intent is a good few steps beyond what we see 99.9% of the time. Yes, players put in big hits - yes those big hits are meant to rattle the opposition and in some cases cause them to have to leave the field but I don't think anyone is thinking, "I'm going to do this illegal thing in the hope of injuring this person, but at the risk of a red card". I think it's infinitely more likely that a player goes to put in a big hit, gets their timing or body shape wrong resulting in a sanction.

I actually can't believe you think so little of people in professional rugby that you believe the desire to seriously injure other people is so high. Rugby is not MMA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Ian McKinley had to wear goggles so he wouldn't be gouged in his good eye. https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/other-rugby/i-had-two-gouging-incidents-in-my-good-eye-and-one-i-know-was-intentional-ian-mckinley-reveals-two-unsavoury-incidents-35717613.html

What does that say about people playing the sport?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

At the very least, players see an opportunity to get a hit on a vulnerable player and soften him up a bit. Whether they actively think "I'm going to injure this guy and put him out of the game" is another question but you often see guys going into tackles where they know they haven't a hope of getting man and ball, but they think they'll get the hit in anyway and they'll get away with it.

And then if you look at things like stamping or gouging, what else are they doing only trying to injure the other guy?

Stamping and gouging are exceedingly rare these days and to be honest the reaction by the vast majority players to said instances shows how those actions are widely viewed.

Rugby is a contact sport, the more hits go in the more a team is broken down - but as you said it's about softening up and attrition, not a desire injure.

No its not premeditated in the sense that people say "Im gonna injure that guy" I said that already but when a coach says lets target Sexton and minutes later he and the captain roaring and screaming with all the fire and brimstone stuff what do you think is gonna happen as soon as a fella locks sights on Sexton. Its often implied that the injury prone player should be hit extra hard. I wonder why ?

Implied by who?

I'm sorry but you seem to be jumping between scenarios here and going from suggesting that players intentionally try to injure opposition to them not doing so.

Very very few red cards these days are given out for malicious play, the overwhelming majority are clearly accidental or at worst foolish.

• Advertisement

First off I quite clearly said implied by the coach. A culture exists where player x getting injured wouldn't be a bad thing. No one says it out loud or even admits to themselves that's the plan but that is what targeting players and certain previously injured parts of a players body is.

The pitch is a strange place where people commit all sorts of assault they never would off it. This is rugby league and probably one of the more severe cases but this guy committed sexual assault on the pitch

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

No its not premeditated in the sense that people say "Im gonna injure that guy" 

so eventually youve come around to admitting that no one goes onto the field to get deliberately sent off. 🙄

I already addressed that. They don't go out to deliberately get sent off. They go out and know they are willing if needs be to commit red card offenses and try get off with it.

A player isn't sure he is going to be in that position on any given day but if the opportunity arises and they think it could be the difference between winning and losing your damn right they will risk it.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Deliberate knock on is not premeditated but the player still does it of his own free will and can get a card for it, that isn't the same as the player making a conscious decision to get themselves a card. Same applies to any situation really - if a player tackles in a dangerous way they may get red carded, they didn't decide to get sent off but their deliberate actions did result in them getting one. Surely, in the laws of the game at least, everything you do is "deliberate" (even if not what you intend) but the actions of others also play a part in outcomes, hence mitigation.

That was directed at the "no need to do it illegally.

As for "ho hum" I don't even know what that means

Very very few red cards these days are given out for malicious play, the overwhelming majority are clearly accidental or at worst foolish

Ah we still plenty of instances of good old fashioned dirty play, in spite of the overwhelming probability of getting caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

That's not a red card offensive AFAIK. As long as they use arms, it's not even illegal. In that game I don't think they wanted to injure Murray but wanted to put him off his game. And it wasn't illegal.

So to prove your point you've had to find a different discipline and a player who was also a boxer.

I think what goes on in the heads of players 'unspoken' or otherwise is really more a reflection of what is going on in your head.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Pretty sure Jamie Heaslip deliberately kneed McCaw in the head...

It absolutely happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

That was a moment of frustration not an attempt to deliberately injure him though. It wasn’t a plan going out on the pitch. Let’s injure McCaw and get him out of the game.

I don't think that proved my point. I would never say one example proves anything and I even said it was a different sport and an extreme example.

I'm not really trying to prove anything because I don't think anything I say will sway anyone who is in such disagreement with me that they thing sports people are all innocent angels.

We have collected a serious amount of words for dancing around injure in this conversation. It's always "targeting" "rattling" "frustration" "softening" "rush of blood" "heat of the moment" another great one "letting him know you are there" is the usual GAA one.

People asked for examples and when they got them there was always a lovely turn of phrase to deny it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

It was a vicious, premeditated assault and Heaslip should have been jailed for it. The dirty, cheating Paddies were always deliberately try to hurt the GOAT because they couldn't handle him.

^^^^

Joking before anyone loses their ****.

Frustration my arse (not that that would be an excuse anyway). It was an absolutely terrible attempt to "lay down a marker" which is what most of these incidents boil down to.

If my recollection is correct it was quite late in the game to lay down a marker. McCaw was being McCaw and Heaslip lost the head. If it was laying down a marker it would hand happened earlier. If it was a tactic to try injure McCaw deliberately, why did no one else try in that game or the other tests.

Players see red, it’s a physical game and people cross the line. That’s not the same as going out on a pitch with a premeditated decision to try and injure a player.

It was about 20 min in.

I doubt players often go out with a premeditated decision to injure a player (though I 100% think they rarely do). But they regularly enough go out with a determination to lay down a marker and make an impact in a less than safe manner and they know what they are doing.

Yes but what we are talking about here is teams deliberately going out to injure a player. Take them out of a game and take the red card associated with it. To get benefit of only losing a player for 20 minutes and the opposition losing there best player for most of a game. That is not laying down a marker or anything close to it.

The whole point of the red card is to address the kind of behaviour that leads to these injuries. Plenty of upright tackles are, as an example, an attempt to smash the oppo player. They know full well the risk of injury is higher when they do it and the amount of red card we see now for head contact is an effort to address that. They are, at best, reckless and absolutely players going out at least without caring about whether they injure the other player. Reducing to a 20 min red card would make those kind of reckless actions more likely.

I don't think teams will go out and say "we'll try and break that guys leg" but they absolutely will try and get at them in a way that is net legal and has risk of injury and they are more likely to do that if the sanctions are lower.

• Advertisement

I don't think any player ever says "I'm going to injure this other guy, I know I'll be red-carded but it's worth it". I don't think that was ever suggested.

But it happens all the time that a player sees an opportunity to get a dirty hit in and think they'll get away with it. If the other guy hobbles off or is knocked out, then that's a job well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Can't stand the proposed 20 minute red card rule myself.

Don't want to ruin the spectacle? Don't get yourself red-carded. It's not the ref's fault, it's not someone's fault for getting high-tackled or whatever, it's not anyone's fault bar the player who gets red-carded. While a red card is primarily a player punishment, it's (or should) also a team punishment. One of your team has done something worthy of you losing them for the rest of the match.

If you get to put another player on after 20 minutes, and the player gets harsher bans after the game, that's almost like other teams reap nearly as much of a benefit as the team that is infringed upon. The England example, Ireland lose Ryan for the whole game and then others afterwards due to HIA protocols. England lose Ewels for the rest of the game and whatever he's banned for (three weeks was it?). It's a bad example because Ewels wouldn't be first choice for England perhaps. France then get to play England without Ewels, whereas Ireland have to play without Ryan, and England can bring someone on after 20 minutes? That doesn't sit right with me at all.

Lastly, can we stop f*cking with the game so much just to appease Australians who prefer watching League? (Yes, I know NZ are also into this a lot).

The example you use though is nothing to do with intentionally harming a player. It’s about gain line success and dominating the tackle area. Not targeting individual players. Going upright into a tackle is about strangling the ball and dominating the tackle. I doubt very much Ewels was laying down a marker or trying to injure Ryan. He was just trying to dominate the gain line and made a complete cock of it. Same with POM with Wales, do you think he was trying to lay down a marker? Or just protect the ball and got it wrong.

POM in wales was, I strongly suspect, trying to be aggressive and lay down a marker. And he "got it wrong" because he did not sufficiently care about the consequences - which is what the red cards are trying to address.

I just don't think there is as large a gap as you do between going out to intentionally harm a player and going out to play in a manner you know is against the laws and increases the risk of injury to a player. And I think the latter happens with reasonable frequency.

It's very hard to watch this and conclude that POM's primary objective here was to ensure a quick recycle from the ruck.

It is I’m sure, if you completely ignore the role that Sexton plays. Was it reckless, yes, was it a red card, most certainly. Was the intent to “lay down a marker” if it was I was a pretty poor attempt.

When playing openside, I would intentionally hit the outhalf late in the first 5 minutes of the game. I’d hit him as hard as I could. That was laying down a marker, letting him know I was there. No intent to injure, just putting it in his mind what was coming for him everytime he got the ball. I knew it was illegal but also that most refs wouldn’t do anything that early in a game. That is a long way off deliberately targeting players to take them out of the game and taking a red for the team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

The rationale that the game is too hard on a team who's player has seriously injured (or could have seriously injured) another player is utterly bananas and bewilderingly daft.

A team is responsible for their player at the end of the day so they need to bear the consequences of their actions, regardless of whether its in the 1st minute or 79th minute.

Those in favour of the rule seem to forget that if the red card is 'harsh' or 'unlucky', the mitigating circumstances should bring it down to a yellow and Lord knows that referees take their time looking at the circumstances. If there are no mitigating circumstances then the foul and subsequent red card is not 'harsh' or 'unlucky'.

100%. The idea that it's the red card that ruins the game and not the ape who gets the card is totally bananas.

The "mitigating circumstances" already gives the ref plenty of discretion.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Late hits are illegal for a reason. Not only is it hitting a player without the ball, the player is much more likely to get injured when not expecting or bracing for a hit.

So maybe your primary objective isn't to injure the player but it certainly isn't an unintended consequence.

What does laying down a marker even do, anyway? Is the player going to run away next time he sees you coming?

POM going full steam off his feet, elbow raised into the face of a player trapped in a ruck - to quote the man himself, he knew exactly what he was doing.

What does laying down a marker even do, anyway? Is the player going to run away next time he sees you coming?

No it makes them conscious of the hit, so forces them to make decisions quicker and hopefully make an error.

I don’t believe that hitting a player without the ball or just before they pass it, would have any material difference in risk of injury. Also maybe I worded that wrong. It wasn’t an attempt to deliberately hit them late. It was a case hitting them hard even if it was late. Because I’m the first 5 minutes of a game you are unlikely to get sent off for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

I used to make sure I hit players as hard as I could when I played. If lined up right you could absolutely nail your opposite number and if you hit them with a bone shaker early on they’ll have one eye looking out for a the hit for the rest of the game and it’ll take away from their own game! That’s laying down a marker, nothing illegal or untoward, just making sure he “knew I was there”!

• Advertisement

That’s laying down a marker, nothing illegal or untoward

Yeah that's fine - no one is objecting to tackling. It's hitting guys late or high that's the problem.

We simply can't have a game that is soft on dangerous play and not end up with major concussion and brain damage issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Couldn’t agree more! I was just giving my view on what “a marker” is! It seems some have the view that it needs to be something illegal where’s as it’s a contact sport and there are lots of legal ways to get a savage hit in! Although I’ll caveat in saying a genuine mistimed hit and a deliberate late hit are different things to me!

I’m sure we all remember Lawes hit on Plisson…. A beauty of a wallop! And legal, borderline… but legal haha

It absolutely doesn't need to be, but plenty of players don't currently care enough if it is. That's why we are seeing so many red cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Itxa

I don’t care what anyone says, the South African sides have given a long needed injection of lifeblood into this league. The Sharks tonight were just superb. Now it’s a case of making it credible with more games per season and not having it like a round robin for 5 months every year.

The clubs won’t agree but a season that starts in October and ends in April is madness. Leinster being the whale in gold fish bowl is no longer credible. We need to expand the bowl and test ourselves. All within acceptable means of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Watching it here on TnaG. It's like RTE Gold with the ridiculous music being piped in. Neil Diamond and Sweet Caroline as a scrummis being set.

Sharks are playing great though.

In Fairness Dragons have shipped 170 points over their last 3 away games. It’s not hard to look good against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Itxa

All that yes but the South African teams are generally holding their own at home. And of course its most likely a novelty thing that may well wear off after a few seasons but it’s promising to see competition in the middle table.

They are moving up the table albeit too late in the season. I think a readjustment might see them off to a strong middle of the season insofaras playing the Celtic legs in their summer and our deep winter might be preferable to the viewer and also the newbies.

I don’t know all the conditions entered into the algorithms that selected the fixture list but readjustment could improve the end product.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

James Davies forced to retire due to concussions

• Advertisement
Advertisement