Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,073 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Where did you read that ?

Like the chairperson of the CRU I have pointed out the threat to our energy supply by relying on just Moffat pipelines.

With our own LNG terminal we would be free to source our own supply world-wide, or avail of LNG from E.U. arrangements

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

And I posted everything has a risk against it. But you have ignored that because it doesn't suit your point.

Also are they going to shut down the UK electric link?

Again, we won't have "our own LNG terminal". Ireland has no plan now or ever to build "our own" LNG terminal. Repeating it to cover up for your own mistake won't change that. It is a 3rd party and if you want to highlight risks on the moffatt line then the exact same ones apply here when a 3rd party own it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,377 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Oh ok.

So you reckon if the UK stop imports of gas to Ireland (post 2025) sure we can just get electricity off them!

Firstly they will also be using gas to generate electricity, so might not have enough “spare” to look after ourselves (We won’t as we will have no gas to do this, we will just have brownouts thanks to government policy and green policys that the little cohort on here cheer on).

Secondly, what exactly do you think the capacity of the interconnectors is? How much electricity do you think we can import all at once and for how long 🧐

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭jolivmmx

sorry to digress. This has probably been discussed ad nauseum. The people who actually are struggling most to heat their homes will never be able to pay for retrofit. It drives me mad!!

• Advertisement

I’d say it’s a universe that suffers from regular rolling brownouts anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

I suppose it makes a difference to suffering from trolling dumbwits anyway 😁

We are putting a link into France, as I posted above.

In 2025 the LNG plant is approved won't be available, at best it will be 2 years later, probably 5 years. So can you please explain what the plan is if you think the UK are going to cut off gas and power in 2025?

Let try this one final time. You said solar only works 3 months a year. It doesn't as I proved multiple posts of solar working in March plus charging my car in March

You asked for solar performance in first week of Jan. I provided this and you still seem confused

You have a serious issue with comprehension. I cannot fix that. Maybe contact the mods and ask them to help you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,304 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Sorry I know it is, but days now I had this posters calling me liar/spoofer/troll all because they made a stupid comment about solar not working. Maybe it is time the internet introduced an IQ test before letting people on it

ah you just have to accept, theres many arseholes on this planet, and they tend to spend a lot of their time hanging out on the internets

Oh I don’t know maybe develop barryroe? Or **** I don’t know look for more gas fields in Irish waters?

I’ve explained all this to you and your cohort many times now.

You didn’t answer what the total capacity of the existing interconnectors are? or do you have any idea?

The Celtic interconnector won’t be built until 2026.

😂 its a nice sunny day to go down the discussion about banking

The new fields, evem if we start now exploring will be available when?

You haven't explained anything. You just keep telling everyone renewals will not work and the moffatt line is too risky. But anything you are proposing will not be available either.

If we invest in renewable, solar/wind/biomethane we have a better chance to have a lot of this up and running a lot quicker. It would take 12 months to install solar panels onto the roofs of DC's etc etc

Please note I am just saying you can't complain when others come up with options when the ones you have will actually not help in your makey uppey UK cutting us off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭opinionated3

You do realise that the scheme is only available to those receiving some form of social welfare/assistance. And the grants don't go far enough to help those of us still paying mortgages and car loans etc. No one seems to be able to answer the simple question of why the greens expect us to add significant amounts of extra debt on top of what we owe already.

We have the greens in government atm stating that the development of new conventional generation (including gas-fired and gasoil/distillate-fired generation) is a national priority and should be permitted and supported, including the development of circa "2,000 MW of flexible gas-fired generation capacity in order to ensure security of electricity supply and facilitate the target of up to 80% renewable electricity generation by 2030". These projects will be increasingly dependent on imported natural gas supplies from the UK

And all this in the face of the fact that the UK supply of natural gas can no longer be guaranteed and is not secure. With the Commission for the Regulation of Utilities stating that Ireland's energy security has previously been guaranteed by access to gas supplies from the UK, but Brexit has now put an end to that supply being secure . And this in addition to rising costs and potential scarcity of imported gas in the face of the invasion of Ukraine by Russia and the scrabble for natural gas supplies within Europe.

And still we have these same green advocates doubling down on that  and claiming we shouldn't use existing but untapped reserves or even avail of the EU agreed program on imported US Liquid Natural Gas.

And  on top of that lunacy we have some greens here saying we won't need imported gas at all and all we need to do is add more renewables despite the fact  that  although we can generate up to 5,000 megawatts using wind energy,  on  quiet days only a fraction of that is delivered. "Quiet days" which can  last weeks in winter, and as the Commission for the Regulation of Utilities has  recently pointed out "ensuring the lights stay on" means using coal- and gas-generated electricity. 

But fear not all is in hand. Despite electricity prices already being marked for dramatic rises - Mr Ryan of the greens is signing off legislation so that everyone will get 200 euro to make everything ok.

Unfortunately that type of tokenism won't help those who are already being feked by other green projects previously lauded such as the Carlinn Hall development launched in 2007 by Green Party leader Eamon Ryan and which was billed as ‘the estate of the future’ with A-rated homes and a communal heating scheme which has residents energy bills now hitting the roof

And all this goes to show that the greens here really don't have a clue

But sure it'll all be grand. We've got candles ...

• Advertisement

I haven’t said renewables will not work. Point out where I’ve said that.

Im telling you gas is needed as a transition fuel to keep the lights on until we reach 100% renewable with some sort of mass storage, ie green hydrogen.

Seen as you have not answered the question I asked about the capacity of the interconnectors I’ll tell you. east west is 500Mw Moyle is 500MW, and the proposed Celtic interconnector is 700MW.

Thats 1700Mw if importing (if the UK and France have electricity to export)

At the moment system demand is 5346MW and wind is generating 1908MW.

Thats a shortfall of 5346-1908=3438MW.

Now in 2026 we won’t have gas from corrib so we will have to import from the UK (if they have any to spare).

So we will have to import 700MW of electricity over the interconnectors which still leaves us 3438-700=2738MW.

Now you will say in 2026 there will be a load more wind farms on the system, but will there be enough to make up the 2738MW plus more as the grid demands are only going to get bigger with EVs and heat pumps etc.

That is via the SEAI grant system. You can complain about how good the system is but for people trying to upgrade their house who are working etc they are supposed to use the SEAI grant

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Is it really the people who boot on the nanny state or is it just that things have been heading in that direction for about 30 years now and people just expect the trend to continue? I know plenty of people who are against it

If Mr Ryan gets his finger out of his hole - it is reckoned that gas could start to be pumped before the Corrib gas field is depleted.

And no its not posters here saying the Moffat pipeline is risky - the Commission for the Regulation of Utilities has clearly stated that Ireland must build import terminals to ship and store gas because current gas supply arrangements from the UK are no longer secure.

And we know we need natural gas to provide enegy for development of new conventional generation (including gas-fired and gasoil/distillate-fired generation) as pushed by the green party in government, to ensure security of electricity supply and facilitate the target of up to 80% renewable electricity generation by 2030.

And for those with their heads in the sand - that now means either our own natural gas and or imported LNG.

I keep saying it's not just wind. We have wind/solar plus all the others. I posted above about methane.

On each of these posts people focus on wind because the next post will say "what happens when the wind stops"

If you go back to my first post I said we should invest in renewable but a balance of renewables. Not build all wind and then wonder what happens if we have no win. Solar panels don't work only when it snows. They work all year round, of course better in summer than winter but they work during the day.

You seem to want to come up with a worse case scenario. That ok but I am qualified to work out the actual risk to say that will happen. If all of this happening is it a 1% risk or a 50% risk. Once you can confirm that then the government make decision. I would expect the risk of all that happening is very low so we don't have the money to guard against that.

Like what is the risk that the UK is going to cut off Ireland gas and electricity lines? 2%? or 80%? can you tell me.

Can you please share the entire comments from the CRU and not just 2-3 sentences from an article.

Who has "reckoned"? the articles on the barryroe said at a minimum it would be 2026.

You are complaining about the rising price of gas. Nothing you have mentioned will fix that. The quickest way to take control of electric prices is renewables. A LNG plant or a gas field will be 2030 before it can help. This has been pointed out to you but you ignore and go on ranting.

The building of the LNG will actually increase the price of gas to cove the building costs. Do you think a company drilling around in the blind hope of finding oil/gas will do it for free?

How much solar will be on the grid in 2026? How much power will it deliver in the middle of winter which would coincide with a period of low wind?

Of course I’m going with a worse case scenario that’s how you plan for most eventualities.

The risk of the UK hoarding gas at the expense of ourselves to keep their own population warm and with electricity- in the midst of gas shortages is quite high I would’ve though, or are you depending on their compassion?

Thankfully the CER agrees with me and other like minded realistic green individuals, and not the likes of you and some of the other renegade Green Party devotees on here.

How much solar? well none unless we invest now. A couple of panels on a few houses is not what we need, yes they will help. Large scale deployments is required. As mentioned instead of using up fields then fill up DC roofs

No you don't take the worse case scenario. You look at the risk. Then you agree the risk appetite and you meet that. That is what every company/country in the World does.

if they all took the worse case scenario they would never get anything talking about all the what if's that could happen

A 2-3 sentence from the CER does not say they agree with you. I am not sure how many times we have to repeat that. They are calling out the risks, like they call out all risks. Find the actual full statement and then you can say if they have/haven't

Not sure why you feel the need to have a comment about "Green Party devotees"? what is that adding to the conversation?

Not sure why you think you should add a condescending comment to the post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,358 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

And in social houses where they are installing heat pumps etc that have top up electricity meters there is now a panic and added expense at the realisation if someone doesn’t top up their meter the heat pumps will stop running and boom.

More money on top of rip off installations all at the expense of tax payers who can’t afford to get anything similar in their own houses.

Advertisement