Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching from Ulster Bank to...

Comments

I changed over to AIB in January. I decided to get one of their platinum credit cards which took longer than opening the current account as you needed confirmation you had your communion money from 40 years still in the post office.

Decided to transfer balance of UB credit card. Filled out the paperwork, posted to AIB (no option to do this online). Nearly 3 weeks later, I saw the amount added to my AIB card. My UB was not credited and a week later I rang AIB. I rang at 4:15 and was still on hold at 5:00pm when phone lines closed. Rang next day around 11am and got through to someone after 35mins on-hold. Explained issue and she said that she could see on the system that the had posted a cheque 10days ago. WTF! Posted a Cheque like it was 20 years ago.

I rang UB credit card and after holding for zero mins (went through all menus and call was answered immediately in their UK call centre). After explaining the situation and once again recovering from AIB's inability to send an electronic payment plus the fact my bill was due the following day. She checked and saw that I had never missed paying off my bill and just said not to worry as she would reset my payment date to the following month so I wouldn't incur any fees or interest.

One point about the AIB app which is donkeys years behind UB. You can only see a couple of weeks transaction in your current account. You have to login to AIB online if you need to see any older transactions.

I have since heard that BOI did a complete upgrade of their app some time ago and supposedly it is better than the AIB app. If I get a chance to see all the functionality on the BOI app, I may be switching banks again. I may not have to wait long as I might be taking up a contract with their IT partner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭rameire

I opened a BOI account as also have to move from UB.

The app trust me is nothing to write home about and when I close my UB account eventually, the app will be missed greatly.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭The Buster

Out of interest what was the wait time to open BOI account.

I tried to open AIB account on the app but as I had an account with them which is closed last century I couldnt open on app. Went into branch and made an appointment. It is over 4 months wait time til they can meet me🙈. Going to look into opening with BOI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,066 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

No they don't. Walked in with no appointment and he current account and deposit accounts opened in 40 minutes. Debut cards arrived 4 days later.

Where are you? AIB here is opening accounts for drop ins. I just walked in and opened accounts there and then less than two weeks ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭rameire

It took a total of two weeks. With the online application for a dual account.

I applied for an aib appointment to open an account in January.

Im still waiting for a reply.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

You are lucky. That is not the situation in Naas at all. You go to the branch, queue, get seen, given an email address to send an email to, send email, get given a date when someone will call you (at least a few weeks wait), they call you with an appointment to go to the branch and bring all documents.

Am in the middle of trying to open an account for my father.

I went online to open a BOI current account. Took less than 10mins to fill in the info and upload passport, Utility bill and selfie of me. Based on the selfie, they will definitely refuse me an account. I was only after getting out of bed. I needed at least another hour to make myself presentable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭I am me123

In a similar boat, former Ulster Bank customer. Switched to AIB, very pleased so far. Love the Mobile Banking app. Very easy to use, good for keeping track of things with the bank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭shanec1928

you must have the one branch in the country where you can just walk in and open an account so.

• Advertisement

I couldn't tell you. I went in to make an appointment and they said it was drop in only - mornings from 10 to 12. It's a large branch in a large town.

Having applied online for a BOI current account on 26th, everything is now setup and my debit card should be here tomorrow. That was just as easy as opening a Revolut account. Far quicker and easier than AIB. Just need to compare them with AIB now.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭brianc27

Opened a new account with Ptsb today switching from UB, they said I have to do all the direct debit switching myself because ulster bank aren't doing it or can't be trusted to do it, pretty annoying

I thought the normal process is that PTSB would have got you to complete a switcher pack, they would then request the Direct Debit details from UB and then PTSB would switch them to your new account.

However, it is much better to just do it yourself. The majority of companies will let you do it online and many also let you change the date of the direct debit at the same time, if you need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭brianc27

Well the lady told me it was up to ulsterbank to inform direct debit creditors and that they haven't been doing so in a lot of cases and people have been caught out with missed payments so now they are just requesting individuals to do it themselves when the new account is open

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Unfortunately I can’t find it, but I recall reading somewhere that the framework for the switcher process only envisioned customers switching banks not a bank closing down. And that it either didn’t apply or could not be applied in these circumstances.

I’ll say this again, do this as soon as possible not as late as possible because if something goes wrong you will not be able to go back to UB to fix it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

Have you had a chance to compare the two banks?

I'm switching from UB, I am leaning towards AIB, but I may go to EBS or BOI.

BTW I just use it for direct debits, transfers in and out etc. I have a credit and debit card and check accounts online a lot.

edited to add detail.

Post edited by ballyharpat on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,925 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Switching to AIB did ask for the DD mortgages etc to be swtiched automatically and UB did nothing I ended up doing most of it myselfm just be careful as they automatically cancelled the direct debits but didn't transfer to new bank, I had to ring the UB mortgage team in UK and they re-enabled the DD on my UB account for March payment, she also said that there are major delays due to sheer volume of switching requests. I'm keeping my UB account open until I'm happy all Direct Debits have transferred across, I would suggest you all keep a close eye on both new and old accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭crinkley

I ended up going with EBS, yes it is basic but it’s free and it’s just somewhere to get my wages paid into, a few direct debits and transfer everything else to revolut. I simply don’t think any other banks app matches revolut and as someone who hasn’t had any need to set foot in a physical building the app is the most important part of the banking product for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭Craftylee

So UB are willingly breaking the Banking Code of Conduct because they don't want the hassle of transferring everyone's direct debits?

https://www.centralbank.ie/docs/default-source/Regulation/consumer-protection/other-codes-of-conduct/45-gns-4-2-7-code-of-conduct-o.pdf

• Advertisement

They're willing but are swamped and it'll take longer, with the inherent risk of errors, than doing it yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,939 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Will have to change from UB, but as a point of principle I am not going to AIB or BOI.

Thinking credit union, PTSB, or EBS.

Anyone have any experience with changing to any of these three?

It's a code of conduct, not a law. They're pulling out of the market. Why should they care?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

PTSB call centre (called 5 times) are incompetent and seem that unmotivated and badly trained. In branch colleagues don't share work related information between, are running around like headless chickens while it could be much better organised. Operations doesn't seem to working well there. Online banking is very old-school.

Not sure about a CU or EBS. BOI background system is old and slow, but they're catching up... However, today the only modern bank in ROI IMO is AIB. UB has a wonderful app, KBC customer service on phone or chat is outstanding. Sad they're leaving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,192 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Bank Of Ireland only accept Passport as ID to open a Current Account online, but will accept Driving Licence in branches. Ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭The Buster

I opened BOI online last Friday - have BOI365 setup now. Apperately my card is in the post. Was very straightforward.

I will be contact AIB next week to cancel my appointment for July to open account!

Not sure if BOI is best option but I just want to get account up and running before the rush starts when UB start sending out the close notifications.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭faolteam

Just wondering if it would be a Good Move to either change the Account to N26 or Revoult, can this be done with Iban I only need my Account for Direct Debits and Payments into my Account.

Has anybody done this ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 799 ✭✭✭gandalfio

Revolut does seem the best, least hassle option. Or is there an obvious reason I'm missing not to switch to them? I'm moving from Kbc. Current and savings accounts. I also have a credit card and have read Revolut will be offering this service soon. They've also begun offering personal loans via the app.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Anyone know if EBS does business current accounts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭crinkley

The only reason I didn’t go fully with revolut is that my employer wouldn’t accept it as they still insist on a account number and sort code. So it’s EBS to get my wages paid into and a few direct debits and transfer everything else over to revolut

Advertisement