Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil Service - Post Lockdown - Blended Working?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,285 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Newer buildings are generally worse, with air conditioning that never quite pleases anyone, totally sealed windows, and not even a radiator to dry your wet gloves.

Another one in my section tested positive this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Depends on what you mean by newer and I think it's difficult to generalise. I can think of a 'newer' building I worked in which is 15 years old and is absolutely horrendously bad, and another one which is about 5 years old which is excellent.

I see a few Ministers were asked PQs about ventilation, and most of them gave a standard response to set out that the OPW have installed a compliant HVAC system in the building etc. However, this doesn't mean that you'll have sufficient air quality everywhere in the building. I've asked a couple of times if my area could be checked (as our ventilation system is rubbish and we don't have windows) and I've been fobbed off quite frankly.

I think Sammy would be best to ask the direct question - is my working area safe? Your employer has a duty of care, and it's not an unreasonable question to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Sammy96

Yep this is the point I am making. From a health and safety legislation perspective, some offices could be deemed unsafe. Therefore the employer would be in breach of health and safety legislation and also breaching their duty of care.

Some very interesting times ahead. Only the tip of the iceberg in my opinion as we suffer wave after wave and people get reinfected every few months.

There has been ample time for employers to put safety measures in place but it hasn't happened. Unions have been absolutely useless.

However our Government isn't exactly leading the way.

For example take someone like Mairead mcGuinness who I know is not an elected official but she visited five offices and five different groups of people all in small unventilated spaces in one day. Photos all over her linkedin and twitter.

However in her EU meetings she still wears masks and keeps a social distance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

Just received the civil service blended working policy framework there now, will be an interesting read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭Bellie1

Just found it. Does it recommend max no of days WFH? I'm almost afraid to read it

• Registered Users Posts: 28 AP2021

Nothing that prescriptive. It sets out how the decision making process works, and what can be considered.

It's a decent policy based on a quick skim. Will be hard in many roles to refuse a pretty generous amount of remote working - the policy asks managers to consider factual aspects of the job rather than nebulous and ill-defined concepts like "collaboration".

Our organisation had previously advised that max 40% WFH. Based on this report, do you think they may increase based on individual role. Working in IT and no reason to be in office, bar meeting others and chatting! Ideally would like 3 days at home . Could a department still only allow 1 day at home under this framework? I think I had the wrong impression of what the DPER report would set out. Didn't see anything re flexitime either. Must read again

A key thing to remember is that it's just policy guidance, and not a set of rules to follow like a Circular is.

A quick skim seems to give each organisation scope to determine the ideal balance. Noted that there us careful wording to indicate that 'in general' no employee should work 100% remotely, therefore setting an expectation without a rule to be followed.

Will be interesting to see the horse trading that could follow when each organisation 'transparently' publishes their policy. I know some organisations with limited scope for remote working are already starting to suffer difficulties recruiting.

• Advertisement

I thought there was negotiation between unions and whoever re flexitime and that was causing the delay in releasing report. Am not pushed whether its allowed or not, just surprised it wasn't covered in this.

No set minimum number of days.

I suspect that the policy was watered down to remove contentious items and get the thing published.

Flexitime access probably to be dealt with as a separate item, potentially locally, as each organisation implements its blended working policy.

No specific mention of flexitime, but there is reference "blended working will not reduce the availability of current flexible working options"

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭EO2019

Flexible work patterns is mentioned as is the condition that employees with blended working have the same terms and conditions as those in office. This implies that flexi time cannot be stopped for those working at home purely on the basis that they avail of blending working arrangements.

Post edited by EO2019 on

This is a positive policy document.

From my initial reading, it is a decision between the employee and manager.

I see no mention of a Department policy over writing all manager and employee agreements.

Nothing on a set number of days.

The question is where can a Department force a set number of days on staff where there is no scope to do so in the policy? Unless there maybe is a general advisory and managers feel a pressure to comply.

This will be very interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

That would definitely imply flexi can be retained by those on blended working. Which really makes bags of sense. I'm WFH today, I'm up, showered, dressed, have had breakfast and it's 8:30 but I'm not going to log on for another 30 minutes because my official hours only start to "clock up" at 9? That'd be madness and counter-productive.

A good blended working policy that incorporates some flexi will even allow public facing offices extend out "open to the public" hours to 8:30 to 18:00, not possible when people have to commute in to an office to provide that service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Forsas special bulletin on the framework.

in terms of flexi:

"The framework is currently silent on the question of flexitime accrual for those with blended working arrangements. An arbitration hearing took place on this issue last week. 

Fórsa wants staff to retain the right to accrue flexitime built up while working at home. But DPER proposals on a pilot process were not acceptable to the union as they would have resulted in inconsistencies in the approach of different departments, at least for the duration of the pilot.

There is no change in flexitime accrual arrangements for staff attending workplaces."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Fórsa seem to have been useless in the last two years. It's rediculous that we are in the office twice a week and can't even work up a half days flexi leave on the days we are physically in the office. Over the last 2 years I reckon I got about 4 emails from the union.

In recent times, certainly the last two years, they, and the AHCPS, seem to be a vehicle for Cornmarket and Frank Glennon to sell insurance, and little else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭EarWig

It just goes to show that coming up with a general WFH rule (set days) that works across the board is impossible. Rational conclusion thank God.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

When we were told we were to come back 2 days a week we were told those where the days where we had physical meetings in the office. Fast forward 2 weeks and the amount of people at desks with head phones on on virtual calls is crazy.

Well no mention in this policy on specific days required. It's an individual agreement between employee and manager.

Now its time for those who want more flexibility to act on it and ask for it. You won't get it unless you push for it. The policy is there for people to use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,255 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Blended workers will generally have no automatic right to a dedicated workstation or single occupancy office in their employer’s work premises but will have a shared work space available to them when required to attend.

Hmmmmmm

Scrap the cap!

I dare you to sit at your A/Sec or PO's desk to make the point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

What was released today wasnt a policy but a framework, Individual departments will have to create their own blended working policy based on it.

It is exactly what I predicted it would be.

Blended Working as a privilege, but not a right.

Well its referred to as a policy framework where the scope falls between employee and individual manager. Which I believe the goal is to allow flexibility in units and divisions in Department and not a full Department wide set number of days.

Now the question is can an overall Deparment policy overrule an individual request? This seems to go against the policy where flexibility is the main aim

For example, the form at the back relates to an individuals request to their manager for an agreement and examples given are not even weekly but fornighty and monthly days in the office.

Yes - so like flexi, shorter working year, career breaks, etc. It makes sense, I think, because...

...some jobs/areas lend themselves to home working, some don't. It makes sense that if there were 20 people in a unit servicing a public counter pre-COVID, and demand hasn't changed, then you're going to need 20 people in the office now. But if you were in a unit with no public interaction (except maybe the odd phone call), most of your work is computer-based, there's no real reason why you should be limited to only, say, one day WFH/week.

The general thrust of the framework from my first reading of it is "Blended working is generally a net positive for employer and employee. And if we want to keep our staff or recruit quality staff, we need to embrace it. Bring it in where possible. Make sure the work gets done. Be sensible."

I think it's probably the best we could have hoped for, because they were never going to say anyone that wants blended working can have it, 100% of the time. If flexi isn't there from the start, it will be, in practice, within a year to 18 months. That sort of flexibility will presumably work both ways. Many departments/organisations have peaks and troughs (Revenue tax return deadlines, SUSI grant deadlines, CAO, etc.) so the "per organisation" route seems sensible. "Yes, you can WFH through the school holidays, but we'll need you in the office 3 days a week coming up to the October 31st filing date and the two weeks after."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭Augme

The blended framework has no really standing to it. It's not a policy so Departments don't have to adhere to anything.

It's up to the Departments to develop their own policy, that policy is what will dictate everything. The reality is that the onus isn't, and never will be, on Departments to justify why staff have to be in the office, it will always be on the employee to justify why they shouldn't be in the office.

Advertisement