Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

There's tonnes of evidence showing the value of other measures, at least as standalone measures.

And properly-used and appropriate masks were and are one of the best ways of reducing both transmission and individual risk, by now we have a lot of studies showing this (and not the clean surfaces/hand washing melodrama that was touted in early 2020).

Many of the restrictions had overlapping effects and it's not easy to quantify any one single effect without using a lot of circumstantial evidence to sort the wheat from the chaff. The German figures throughout 2021 do suggest that routine testing and FPP2 masking requirements made a huge difference compared to what has happened in other European countries (including those with higher vaccination rates).

It's a hard problem to fix, but yes coach-style buses in particular are a bit of a nightmare when it comes to recirculated air and dense mixing with strangers. There's some high quality data from South Korea early on in the pandemic which showed the impact of this. Most countries in Europe don't have this situation of coaches being the backbone of public transport.

Properly designed bus/train HVAC with a focus on air quality and European regulation of it might be the way forward in the medium and long term.

It’s not an issue I see being driven in Ireland. We aren’t great at that kind of detail and we are a small market and will tend to still just do whatever it is they do in the UK when it comes to that kind of thing - sure neither country seems to even see anything wrong with not using mixer taps on sinks. I can only assume maybe we like the misery!

I’d feel a lot safer on an aircraft as that stuff is highly regulated, very well designed and well managed.

We can’t even get this stuff right in extremely high risk environments like hospitals, so I can’t see it happening on busses unless it’s a harmonised thing driven by the EU, which seems a lot more technically competent.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Most of the mask evidence was prior to Omnicron though?

The exact amino acid substitutions in the spike protein don't make a blind bit of bloody difference 😂 the virions are the same size, even if you treat the various cell topism studies on Omicron at face value. Whether SARS-CoV-2 is replicating in the trachea or upper throat, the droplets and aerosols are almost entirely blocked by proper respirators that are correctly worn.

• Advertisement

I’d have understood it if we, like Germany and Austria, had mandated FFP2 in high risk contexts like public transport.

However, we went with blunderbuss requirements and imposed no technical standards.

The use of cloth masks only made sense when there was a supply line crisis at the start and a lot of confusion about risks.

It ended up being a lot of theatre. You might as well have been asking people to knit their own seat belts with the low standards of some masks.

We also continued with totally illogical measures like hanging lumps of Perspex from the ceiling in shops and so on. That continued even though the evidence was showing it was very much airborne and air changes / filtration etc made more sense.

We also continued to go into obsessive levels of surface cleaning to deal with an airborne virus. I could understand it initially but that messaging continued to be hammered out way beyond the stage when the facts were known and other countries had long since moved toward logical mitigation measures.

It’s like slow moving bureaucracy that kept getting stuck in a rut.

I would have a lot of praise for the vaccine programme though. It’s the one shining bit of well implemented policy in all of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

@Vachement wrote:

I’d have understood it if we, like Germany and Austria, had mandated FFP2 in high risk contexts like public transport.

However, we went with blunderbuss requirements and imposed no technical standards.

The use of cloth masks only made sense when there was a supply line crisis at the start and a lot of confusion about risks.

The concern here was not just supply line stuff, but feasibility too. It's one thing getting people to wear washable cloth masks that cost €3 a go, or basic 3-layer masks that come in boxes of fifty for 50c a pop.

FFP2 masks are more expensive for a start. And during periods of high demand, insanely so. If they need to be chucked after every use and they cost €3 a go, that's a massive burden. Remembering of course that the people who would most have to use these - essential workers, pensioners and people reliant on public transport - are the ones with the least ability to afford them.

I don't know how other countries implemented it. It would seem like you'd need to provide free masks to a lot of people to make it feasible. But I could certainly see here in Ireland, an "upgrade" to FFP2 being functionally unenforceable. People would have stuck with the medical masks they bought and told you to fvck off if you demanded they wear expensive disposable ones.

On balance of impact to the population, impact on infection and enforceability, I feel like an "any kind of face covering" mandate was the optimal choice over "FFP2 masks only".

We spent billions and billions on other far cruder measures though.

They also do not need to be chucked every time they’re used. Most of the non clinical use is very light. They last for multiple wears.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Similiar position myself with certain family members. As the saying goes i’m “holding firm” and won’t let them dictate to me. Unfortunately it has caused major rows but i’m not giving in. The only thing they will achieve is me ending up hating them. But i think they’ll get the message soon.

Interestingly i find that their issues are with activities that are enjoyable and give you freedom. My work involves a very high risk in contracting covid but you never hear them complain about that. Definitely different agendas at play. Covid has been an eye opener.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Claire Byrne has been a disgrace throughout the pandemic. Great to see her being put back in her box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭aziz

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Has to be said government and politicians have been admirable on not backing down and haven't been drawn into rows

Even sinn Fein seemed to be toeing the line from what I heard

Just that clown Murphy saying "why won't you give the unions what they want"

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Overthinking will stress you out. Pick a position and stick to it!

On the hospital crisis something is not adding up about the numbers .As with all things covid related the numbers always seem way out of whack

Theres more than 6000 staff out with covid

50 in ICU with covid

Covid is also rife in the hospitals and there's pandemonium

Covid is also mostly a mild illness

My work experience has taught me to think in a very logical and rational manner ,besides the tendency to hyperbole and sensationalism when posting, mostly for fun and dramatic effect

Now I haven't nailed it yet and maybe someone else can but it is just not stacking for me as the situation exists currently in the hospitals with all the ongoing drama

Say Tony Holohan currently says you don't impose restrictions for what he calls a " bad flu season"

But there's more than 6000 HSE staff currently out

So they don't correlate with an actual bad flu season do they ? I really don't know the science I admit

Leaving aside all the drama there is a quandary

Hse calling for restrictions. CMO and government saying no ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭crossman47

Well, the staff may have a mild dose but they are out because they must isolate. That number out has to cause problems. Also patients with Covid must be kept separate from others and that is another problem. The ICU number is probably down to vulnerable or non vaccinated patients. I know its mainly mild but a lot of people are still getting quite sick. A man I spoke to yesterday described his current Covid experience as like a bad flu.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

Yes, and along those same lines - even though I’m delighted to see the back of NPHET it’s does seem like they were out the door and onto better things before we could say gbye. Yes the HSE should be able to sort its mess but all the guidelines and regulations were implemented on advice from, and in consultation with, NPHET. It seems like an abdication of duty to leave HSE in current state, they could have at least helped clear up the mess with some recommendations for step down of restriction procedures for hospitals. “Restrictions no longer necessary, except in healthcare - farewell good luck now”.

100%. There was no effort to even encourage their use in wider society until I think January of this year, in tandem with coming out of isolation after covid. And even then, surgical masks were equally encouraged.

There simply isn't evidence to say that there was a shortage or severe logistical difficulties with getting KN95/FFP2 masks at any point after the first half of 2021. Irish-manufactured FPP2 masks could be publicly purchased for €1 at unit prices by then. Every pharmacy up and down the country has had them for months now. For the Irish manufacturer, they were able to meet HSE orders from like November 2020 onwards and could sell more privately.

This ignorance by public health here just doesn't stand up to scrutiny now and has only muddied the public's understanding of basic measures many would be more than happy to carry out. But we all know how to clean our hands 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Good to see Paul Moynagh on RTE news there. Very well balanced throughout, doesn’t fall into the hysterical sound bites other experts do.

Good to see a so called expert recognise that masks or any other restrictions won’t stop this wave. And that you can’t wear a mask all the time forever. There has to be a line drawn.

Also questioning are we going to be using the 2nd booster as protection against illness (which the first 3 gave) or another reaction to cases again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭political analyst

If the mask mandate, which is still in effect in hospitals, is effective then why is it not preventing outbreaks in hospitals? If the PPE worn by healthcare workers (face shields as well as masks of the highest grade) is effective then they won't be infected by patients who have Covid even if those patients are not wearing masks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

Do you think healthcare workers spend 24/7 in work? 24/7 wearing masks? Do healthcare workers not have homes and lives outside of their jobs. They can easily pick up covid infection outside from their workplace. But yeah blame masks again instead of human behaviour.

Good news tonight keeps coming. Seeing some strong and joined up leadership, for once, despite the naysayers calling for heads

~ isolation period may be shortened

~ indications the surge has peaked

~ masks not required

https://www.rte.ie/news/2022/0331/1289460-coronavirus-ireland/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Post edited by Multipass on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,631 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

It’s just like one dystopian mess to another and it’s all streamed into the palm of your hand with endless notifications from news sites, Twitter, etc etc.

Maybe thats your problem right there?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

They're being questioned because tonnes of patients are catching covid in hospitals, whilst wearing masks. I'm continually baffled by the religion of the mask. Its so incredibly evident that outside of lab controlled testing, they're next to useless. And yes they are a nuisance and a restriction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

Well tonnes of people and patients are thick as fūck. The same type of people that went around wearing their masks under the nose and on their chin can believe it or not end up in hospital. It's that kind of stupid is the reason why you think masks aren't working.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

What % of people in Ireland have had covid do they think? I'm confused about the 200k a week supposedly getting it, and how many of them are reinfections or have we still got half the country that hasn't had it yet (including me)?

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

Going down fighting I see 🤣

Sticking to your principles to the end though, good for you.

We can wear those things any way we want now, or better still, not even wear them at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭MOR316

Advertisement