Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2022 Seanad by-election

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭Shelga

I voted #1 for Tom Clonan, gave Maureen Gaffney my #3. I do like the idea of senators being independent.

Why is Hugo McNeill doing so well? Anyone who puts rugby as a selling point on the blurb of their leaflets is an instant no from me.

Possibly because not everyone who voted shares your view of the world. I voted for him despite the fact that he played rugby for Ireland!

Incidentally, if you voted for Clonan no.1 then it's unlikely that your lower preferences are going to matter very much!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭Shelga

Fair enough, but even if someone is a rugby fan, I don’t see how someone’s prior experience in rugby is of any use whatsoever in the Seanad! Sure, there’ll be some votes on sports funding etc, but when you see some of the achievements of the other candidates, I don’t really get it. Yes of course I can only speak for myself.

My voting strategy involved asking myself which candidate would Bacik be most upset to see winning her seat - and the answer was very obvious!

My son's voting strategy was equally logical - he asked himself who was most likely to beat Chu based on the recent TCD election, so went for Clonan!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Bassett, I would have expected - McNeill would be lower down than having Bassett in there spouting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,095 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Looking at the count I think Hazel Chu has an outside chance here

Roseingrave, Mckenna, O'Neill, Stocker and Quill could all swing it to Chu

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭9320

I think Gaffney will win it - MacNeill is toast I would think, just not going to get the transfers. Chu probably too far behind Gaffney so Gaffney versus Clonan.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭jolivmmx

I voted Gaffney as my number one and Clonan as number two

Roseingrave nearly 2:1 to Gaffney over Chu

McKenna's voters could be anything and everything these days, McNeill and non-transferable could take more than Chu!

The extent of McKenna's transfers in Chu's direction could be significant. If she isn't well ahead of Gaffney after that then I reckon she hasn't a hope!

• Advertisement

McKenna now out with 463 votes to transfer.

This could be a very odd split. Some Green line stuff to Chu, anti EU to Bassett (enough to keep him in for another count? Probably not) etc

Chu will need an exceptionally strong split to get ahead of Gaffney on this.

I heard a tally of O'Neills number 2 transfers went way over 40% to Chu

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I still think Chu has an outside chance from transfers.

Terry Pratchet

Oluborode would have some small g green stuff along with O'Neill that could link through to Chu.

Going on William Quill's spreadsheet (he hasn't tweeted the summary yet), Gaffney got more of McKenna's transfers than Chu; Bassett now out.

edit:

I cannot imagine a lot of Bassett’s votes will go to Chu

McNeill and the bin (non transferable) to be the main winners, I'd expect.

I thought they'd take more than Chu from McKenna, which they did combined (32+32 vs 60) at least.

I heard there was a tally that she was getting roughly 45% of Sadhbh ONeill number 2s

Terry Pratchet

She would still need in excess of 250 extra votes, as it stands currently, plus whatever excess that the other candidates receive. I just cannot see it happening

• Advertisement

Only really helpful if Gaffney doens't get ~20% or more though; which considering who will be left is quite likely.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

It looks like Gaffney is getting more transfers than Chu, and McNeil is not getting enough, so between Gaffney and Conan.

The differences between the front four is about the number of transfers each is getting, and that will increase as more are eliminated, so still all to play for - but Chu has a long way to go to catch up.

Minor aside - if Gaffney gets this, it will give Trinity two of the oldest members of the Oireachtas in her and Norris.

When I was reading up on her, she stated that she was the first person in her family to go to College. I like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

So this elitist nonsense is only open to those who graduated out of Trinity College. Any other requirements, like you have to own 2 houses as well?

Cannot believe we still have this farce, along with the media giving it attention.

Spreadsheet reading pre-Quill tweet again - MacNeill and Clonan the main recipients of Bassett's votes. Oluborode out. Gaffney eked a tiny bit further ahead of Chu

MacNeill only leads by 7 now and I expect that to end on the next count.

Its all left or left-ish women to go out now; but both Chu and Gaffney are potential recipients for that vote. And Clonan of course; he can't be entirely written off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,483 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Have to laugh that the discussion here is all about Chu even though she looks like an outside chance only at this point. She's quite the divisive character.

Not a great selection of candidates there to be fair. How many of them seem to be some shade of green?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,483 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

You have to have a horse worth at least £5.

It's mad that such a rotten borough can exist in a modern democracy tbh, and I say that as someone who had a vote here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

Presuming Clonan passes out MacNeill, would you think it'd come down to MacNeill's transfers?

• Advertisement

Three of them have run as Greens in other races (Chu, O'Neill and Roseingrave); one is a member of the lawyers environmental group (Oluborode).

Its mathematically possible for it not to come to that... but it probably will.

Advertisement