Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Silk escape maps were given to pilots in case they got shot down over the continent. This is both sides of one covering eastern Europe my mother acquired from a US serviceman, I believe.

They also printed less flalsh ones in just black ink on super thin but strong white paper that could be folded up very small, despite being large. I have one of those covering western Europe that was issued to my father.

It's most likely the silk escape maps smuggled to prisoners were the same ones issued to pilots and air crew.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Putin is not a man of peace, he is a man of pieces, no breakthrough in talks

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 7,970 ✭✭✭Christy42

Indeed. I think there are only a few that stayed in before aster Putin's rise.

While I am sure he would get replaced by someone terrible the actual faces of the new elite will be different with the current oligarchs getting left by the wayside.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,516 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Fascinating testimony from the Mayor of Melitopol who was kidnapped by the Russians for a few days. It seems even many ordinary Russian soldiers have been completely brainwashed by the state propaganda, with a fantasy version of what Ukraine is in their heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,460 ✭✭✭Markcheese

China will always put it's interests first - so unless it's gioing to bite them in the pocket /wallet they'll use the opportunity to profit , and trade between china and Russia was increasing massively even before the war - but now Russia is under china's thumb ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement

The US really should 'sell them', wink wink, Predator drones if they are serious about declarations that Russia must not win and Ukraine must prevail. I believe they gave them a handfull of Switchblade suicide drones, the larger of which are likely intended for artillery positions, but they need about 50 times the number that were provided:

https://www.euronews.com/next/2022/03/17/switchblade-drones-what-are-these-kamikaze-weapons-and-how-can-they-help-ukraine

• Registered Users Posts: 13,890 ✭✭✭✭josip

Even on that work of fiction, Chernobyl has a radioactive symbol. What were those poor bastárds thinking, digging trenches there.

"Slovenian Prime Minister Janez Janša said Wednesday that he supports sending the S-300 missile defense systems to Ukraine"Yes, I support this because this is the equipment that Ukraine needs the most," he told CNN."I don't support speaking a lot about what we are giving them," he said.He expressed an opinion that after Ukraine will win this war, it will be NATO wanting them to join."When they win this war, the Ukrainian army will be one of the strongest, if not the strongest army on the European continent," he said."

https://en.interfax.com.ua/news/general/819730.html

Very sensible man, that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

You do know that people work in the Chernobyl power plant every day of the week.

Reactor 3 was in operation until 2000.

There were 200 workers caught there when the Russians arrived.

Now granted workers are rotated out so that they are not exposed long term.

And that has not happened because of the Russians.

There are certain areas of the old reactor 4 area that humans simply cannot go as the radiation would

The famous corium Elephants foot at one stage would kill you in 5 minutes although this has decreased over time.

Nobody, bar some older people have lived in the exclusion zone including the city of Pripyat have lived there since 1986.

There are two exclusion zones around Chernobyl, it has been deemed safe to stay overnight in the 30km outer Exclusion Zone but not in the 10km inner exclusion zone. There are a couple of hundred people living in the outer zone. The radiation is not that bad, but it is advised to bring old clothes with little metal zippers so that they can be thrown away if contaminated.

The inner zone is probably where the Russians have now dug in.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 13,890 ✭✭✭✭josip

J, you're going to have to expand on that Elephants foot snippet. Sounds fascinating 🙂 I thought death by elephant's foot would have been fairly instantaneous assuming it was still attached to its original owner.

• Advertisement

"Russian troops have again used phosphorus shells in Maryinka, Krasnohorivka and Novomykhailivka, this time injuring 11 residents from the Maryinka community, including four children, Donetsk Regional Military Administration head Pavlo Kyrylenko has said.

"Some 11 wounded civilians from the Maryinka community, including our children, were delivered to the Kurakhiv city hospital," he wrote on his Telegram channel on Thursday morning." https://en.interfax.com.ua/news/general/819685.html

Another day, another war crime.

hope the Nct is not due

its another Irish casualty of this war

Dundalk, Co. Louth

Russian false flag perpetrated to justify launching a tactical nuke at Shannon

• Registered Users Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Another intercepted call, yes take with pinch of salt, but a lot of stuff is being intercepted

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Oh they're sometimes mentioned, but rarely discussed and the spin on them is truly dizzying. Like I mentioned earlier in the thread one Russian told me and with a straight face that the Chernobyl disaster was a CIA plot to bring the USSR down.... You really can't argue with that level of woo. When the HBO Chernobyl series came out it was initially praised by some Russian filmmakers but that faded as "official" Russian voices called it an anti Russian lie. They got their own version of it into production and in that one the story was about brave Soviets trying to catch CIA agents who caused it. Yep.

WW2 is interesting from a spin angle too. For them it doesn't start in 1939, but in 1941 when Germany invaded. Handy that, as they can avoid the whole Stalin/Hitler pact, the carving up of Poland and all that stuff(my general impression down the years is they range from distrust to hate of Poles anyway. Probably because other than the Mongols, the Poles were good at invading them). Stalin himself has had a makeover. In the 90's he had the "Saviour of Russia during the Great Patriotic War, but he was a bit of wanker and despot" reputation, but putin has brought him ever more into the fold in Russian spin and thought.

The overall general gist I've gotten from their media and a few Russians I've met(when such stuff came up) is that "difficult questions" about their past are "answered" as either unfortunate mistakes, or more usually someone else's fault. The latter blame and paranoia of "outside influences" stuff is something that seems to run through Russian culture and history and spin like figs in a fig roll.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Given I'm reasonably near Shannon, I'd just like to point out to any Russians observing from the sidelines, that it has a Dublin registration.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

If anyone ever offers to sell you corium I would run, very far away.

Anything around Reactor 4 is on the dangerous side.

BTW I bet people don't realise that a big problem for authorities was people going into the exclusion zone and places like Pripyat to scavange valuable materials and items.

Only problem is some of it may glow in the dark like a dial on an old Timex watch.

Actually the Russians might be stripping down the old equipment used in the clean up to replace all the missing parts that the army need for their kit in Ukraine.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

And like Hitler(until pretty much the end) - and this part seems to be hard for some to acknowledge, or understand - putin has a lot of support among the Russian people, and this war is bolstering that. I'd be willing to bet if they had actual free elections in the morning, he'd get in. His main opposition would be in the under 30's.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

What was the other one? I don't think a set of gates counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Partition of Ukraine is looking more and more the only viable option, at least insofar as the probability of NATO involvement is vanishingly unlikely. In a sense, it's arguable that by pushing all the way to Kyiv, the Russians will have successfully made themselves to be seen to be "pulling back" (i.e. conceding) in any partition scenario. As such the very act of pulling back is seen as major concession allowing them to more justifably seek the only concessions that they may have been looking for the whole time.

My own sense is that Putin may well get a lot of wins out of this battle, but Russia will ultimately lose the war (the "war" in this regard being Russia's war to regain its old strength. It is now beyond clear that Russia is not to be trusted as a supplier of energy, and will use its position as supplier for adversarial purposes rather than cooperative. The West cannot be subject to dancing on the end of such flimsy strings and the question of weaning itself off Russian dependency has now gone beyond a question of economic inconvenience to one of strategic imperative.

On the level of softer power, Putin has finally burned his bridges with the West's agitators-in-chief: the Trumps, Farages and Le Pens of this world. A divisive figure previously, and admired by many on the right (and the left in some instances) for his hard man, anti-woke, get-sh*t-done, mAiNsTrEaM mEdiA cAnCeL cULtUrE grrrrrrrr demeanour, he is now toxic to all on the political spectrum.

Ukraine will shed a troublesome region, embrace the Western economic sphere and eventually join the EU. Russia will stagnate ever more.

• Advertisement

"Pierre Zakrzewski, 55, a cameraman and Oleksandra “Sasha” Kuvshynova, 24, died in gunfire earlier this month in Horenka, on the north-west outskirts of the Ukrainian capital. The British correspondent Benjamin Hall was injured in the attack"

Dundalk, Co. Louth

Go spain! Hear that, Poland? You know what you need to do.

No, they're sending aircraft with weapons, not fighter aircraft. And Poland has done quite a bit for Ukraine and her people. Overall probably the most of any European nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Planes? Or planeloads?

Bummer - my bad. Certainly Poland has, but those Mig-29s are sorely needed and they don't even really want them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭brickster69

Gas must be paid to Russian Rouble account from tomorrow or gas will not be delivered. Putin just now on Sky News

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

• Registered Users Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Interesting flipflop, yesterday they backtracked and said they didn't require payment in roubles.

20 hours ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Hard to know for sure but that statement does seem to line up with an excellent YouTube channel I've been following since the war started called "1420". Seems risky but essentially the guy asks ordinary Russians (well, Moscow-dwelling Russians anyway) their views on things like the war and while lots of younger seemingly student-age to 30 odd population seem critical of it all (or at least, they suggest criticism without always outrightly saying it) some of the noticeably older people seem to sway more towards the official line of the State.

I suppose maybe there are a few sides to it: they are old enough to feel a perception that Putin is the man to have truly stabilised Russia since the downfall of the USSR, old enough to remember a deeper fear of annihilation at the hands of the West, and old enough to feel a sense of shame at the Soviet downfall but that Putin has restored Russia's pride in its place among the great powers (even if in reality this is highly caveated).

There's also a very prevalent machismo culture in Russia (almost painfully visible for example in much of their society's masculine insecurities when dealing with the "issue" of gay people) which Putin plays to absolute perfection.

So I'd probably agree Putin has more support than it seems fashionable / comforting right now in the West to assume. Remains to be seen if the next year or two will change that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Could be a setup for an April fool's day joke by Putin!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement