Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

I heard that this morning, and if I'd not already become drunk on cynicism, I may well have raised an eyebrow. I'm not against helping people displayed by war, but if the shoe were on the other foot, would the Ukrainian state build houses to give to Irish refugees who didn't want to return home?

Also, if the state CAN build these houses (which I doubt), why did they not do it before now whilst materials were cheaper and then sell them to working people like myself who have paid billions in tax over the years?

Of course, we all know what will likely happen to many of the Ukrainians who stay here. They will join the ranks of many unfortunate foreigners who came here to seek a better life only to find themselves consigned to be income cattle to slumlords. This country is ethically bankrupt, and I have a feeling that bankruptcy of the financial ilk will not be far behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

This is Ireland, so a long shot, but could this be the catalyst to use a new model to deliver cheaper housing

Dont laugh please!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Saw that earlier. Add that to the upto 200,000 or so that were already needed beforehand..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭combat14

europe staring recession in the face as german inflation at 41 year highs and warning of gas rationing are issued for european economies .. interesting to see poland are accelerating move to end dependence on russian (but also norwegian) oil by end of year in major turn to green energy ... difficult to know as yet how irish economy and consequently the housing market will be affected by sudden european economic contraction....

Bloomberg are also using the R-word:

I think that economic woes are inevitable at this stage, and likely they would have been with or with the situation in Ukraine. What will happen to house prices? Well it's possible that a serious recession could kill demand, and thus cause a crash, but I'm rather more of the opinion that we could be headed for a stagflation. Imagine 2008, but with rising costs of everything.

• Advertisement

Stagflation almost a certainty now

Payback time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

I don't get this. In 2021 and 2020 despite covid we still constructed about 20k new dwellings, the same as 2019.

So the question I have for you. If we are building the same now as 2019. Why is the number of existing housing stock for sale about 40% lower than 2019?

Homeowners due to covid stopped selling. The number of existing housing stock for sale is half what it should be in a normal market so more eventually will have to come on the market. This squeeze in property for sale seems to have been a global phenomenon since covid and not just an Ireland problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

by government of course you mean middle income tax payer.Some day that well will run dry. Not far off either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

Stagflation could probably be worse than the recession of 2008. Imagine being unemployed and the price of every necessity rising around you. I said it before and ill say it again the western world is not near as Unioinsed as it was during the last Stagflationary period of 70s 80s. Wage price spiral will not happen overall maybe some in demand jobs but wage growth overall will not not increase that much, demand will drop as consumer spending will be down big time, then we slowly slip into a recession by the end of the 3rd quarter of this year. Once this happens of course we will see companies cut back in particular the inflated tech sector that is nearly solely based around advertising and marketing (Meta). I do believe when this happens it may help the energy price inflation as demand will drop but the food price inflation come the tail end of this year and start of next year when we are eating this seasons crops with the 350% fertilizer and diesel costs built in will really prolong the inflation till summer 2023, then hopefully we may see some end in sight for rising inflation %, but food price will never come back down it will always stay at that price for years to come.

With regard to existing home sales, maybe the populace is more clued in and believe correctly that hard assets > cash in a QE environment out of control, may explain how 6k empty properties were volunteered for ukraine in a few weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,680 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

would it really be like 2008 though? are banks as exposed as they were then?

France

surely ECB will raise rates sooner rather than later.

No it wouldn't be like 2008 as it's a different type of disaster. I meant rather that it one were to imagine the unemployment levels of 2008 and add in the current inflation, that it could serve as an example of where we're going.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

You are 100% correct there. The talk in my place (full of financial services professionals) is if you own a house to upsize asap.

Someone mentioned buy an investment property but noone will do that these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,680 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

same story everywhere it seems. anyones guess as to how this all ends...

U.K. house prices jumped at the fastest annual pace since 2004 in March, as the nation’s property market continued to defy the wider cost of living crisis.

Prices jumped 14.3% from a year earlier, taking the average value to a record 265,312 pounds ($348,400), Nationwide Building Society reported Thursday. In March alone, prices rose 1.1%. Both figures were above economists’ forecasts.

U.K. home prices have risen for eight consecutive months, and now stand 21% higher than they were before the pandemic struck. While some forecasters expected gains to slow in 2022 as higher inflation and interest rates squeeze budgets, the surge is currently showing no signs of letting up.

“The housing market has retained a surprising amount of momentum given the mounting pressure on household budgets and the steady rise in borrowing costs,” said Robert Gardner, Nationwide’s chief economist. 

What Bloomberg Economics Says ...

“A boom in Britain’s housing market continues to defy the economic headwinds amid continued demand and limited stock. But we expect a tight squeeze on incomes and higher interest rates to finally cool prices in the coming months.”

--Niraj Shah, Bloomberg Economics. Click for the REACT.

Successive pandemic lockdowns allowed homebuyers to save deposits, while the tight labor market also contributed to the market’s buoyancy, Nationwide said. Economists at the building society estimated that households accrued 190 billion pounds in extra deposits more than pre-Covid levels, though this was concentrated among older, wealthier households.

With the “race for space” continuing, whereby owners of flats seek to move to bigger houses, a gap has opened between the price of each, making it harder for people to transition. That price gap is now at a record high.

Still, if the Bank of England adds to its three-straight rate rises, and this feeds through to mortgage rates, this could drag on the market as a whole, Nationwide said.

There's a whiff of SSIAs in 05/06 about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Timing belt

i agree there are similarities but the other conditions do not exist like oversupply of property and a large population of individuals landlords that sold properties because they were unable to make mortgages repayments on investment property.

It’s also worth noting that after the the 08 crash houses prices did not crash to the same extent as Irish house prices because other countries didn’t have the same level of oversupply of property

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Unemployment continuing to fall rapidly across the Eurozone, now at the lowest figure since the establishment of the Euro. It's fallen well below the pre-Covid unemployment rate. Our own unemployment figures for March should be landing over the next few days.

That’s the confirmation that the ECB needs to start raising rates.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

You would have thought so, but ECB still stating on the record this week that no rate rises will occur until QE is finished in its entirety and further confirming that QE will not end until Q4 at the very earliest. If they stick to that guidance there will not by any rate rises this year.

Not too many here seem to agree, but I think the influx of Ukrainians could be a blessing in disguise for EU. Well educated hard working, courage and determination coupled with aspirations to be EU members

A few billion invested in them rather than pushing up asset prices could help greatly in tackling inflation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

Lane and Lagarde will be saluting in their ships of high house prices and pensions as they sink, having convinced themselves that what they believe and the actions they did were for the good of society. It would be an almighty state of affairs for the ECB to turn around and raise rates this year after all their statements less than a year ago about transitory inflation. Truly this would be a career-ending, heads should roll type of reversal in policy approach from the ECB.

What is funny is that the Russia Ukraine crisis only began at the end of February so it can't even be blamed for the crazy rise in the cost of living we have been experiencing the last 12 months, but it will be used by them (being the chancers and spoofers they are) to explain and justify their humiliating and dramatic change in policy approach.

Price stability is the mandate of the ECB which applies to mean that they must take action to try to influence and ensure price stability, typically with QE and interest rates, but it is evident that raising interest rates will cool markets and house prices which, if they decline, would indicate a type of paper recession and therefore the ECB would have caused a "recession" by raising interest rates. But that is where this is going; higher rates and more appropriate valuations - the post-mortem, in due course, will seek to determine whether the delay in taking action was ignorant and/or intentional. Perhaps the delay was to enable the big players in the markets to recalibrate and reposition, where necessary, to hedge from the impending "recession".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Too early to tell, but I dont think Ukrainian refugees will be the boon you think they are. For starters all working age males are prevented from leaving the country, those that have are required to return within 10 days or face a prison sentence on their return.*

Most of the refugees then would be women, children, and the elderly. As for pushing up asset prices, refugees need housed too so either way asset prices are going up. And if by "investing" in them you mean giving them money, that will cause inflation too as youll have more demand for same supply. Food production is set to struggle over the next few years so we would expect price inflation already, extra consumers will exacerbate that.

Spiralling wage inflation looks all the more likely down the line...

Not much to argue with their except that the oversupply filtered in during 06/07

And the "recovery" was aided by removing and drip feeding that supply back to market.

What if scenario?

Suppose we ramped up construction to accommodate refugees. I heard the minister talking about emergency measures that could be available to him ( he did not detail what they were)

Build loads of houses with materials at hyperinflated prices, suppose there is an end to the war and materials reset to normal valuations. What happens then. Stock of overpriced houses with the market able to build at the lower rates that undercut the glut built for refugees. End of war most refugees would return home

Presumably any emergency accommodation built by the state for refugees can be used as regular social housing if and when they go back, so market price of those houses is largely irrelevant.

From what I'm hearing most are eager to work, They will be housed in clusters I'd imagine. Organise childcare within there own community or through existing infrastructure and let those who wish to work do so

We already discussed the ageing demographics of the EU. The influx of children and teenagers would be a shot in the arm exactly where the EU needs it from a population that aspire to be EU citizens

Is it irrelevant if social housing is procured from the private market

Being eager to work, and the jobs actually being available are two very different things. Hopefully they can find work, but until they do I will be sceptical

Its irrelevant wherever they get it from, because social housing is not intended for resale. Obviously cheaper acquisition is better from state budget standpoint, but once its been built/bought the valuation of that house is irrelevant as it is no longer state policy to sell on social houses.

These houses will not reappear on the market because they are social houses

The problem is and has been for a long time that we don't have to capacity to build enough housing not to mention additional housing for refugees.

In your "what if" Scenario a load of houses were built at todays prices and demand fell due to refugees returning come then it would probably translate to lower rents as more property would be available.... if any of the houses build were specifically for refugees these would be social housing and the government could move people out of HAP and into these houses. If these houses were in the private sector then the owners would have the choice to sell at a lower price or to reduce rent. This is all "What if" but the facts remain that we are unable to build enough houses as it not to mention additional houses for refugees.

The only other thing I would add is that the refugees if allowed to work will help cool inflation in the economy because there will be more employees for the same number of jobs which will remove some of the upward pressure on wages that we currently see.

Their is a lot of work out there especially in lower paid jobs where every drive thru you go through apologises for delays due to labour shortages, where shops are thinking about changing opening times as they can't get staff etc...

That's not saying that this is the only work that would be available to the refugees as I am sure that a % will be skilled that could help fill jobs in other areas.

What it will do is remove upward pressure on wage growth and as a result will help cool inflation.

Whether the removal of pressure on wages slows down house price increases or not will all depend on the level of skills etc..... If they had IT skills that were transferable then it would put downward pressure on wage increases in the IT sector. Without it you will see wage increases and as a result house prices will increase because people will be able to borrow more due to higher wages.

• Advertisement

Being eager to work, and the jobs actually being available are two very different things. Hopefully they can find work, but until they do I will be sceptical

Lots of talk of business unable to get workers pre-war, a PUP element to it, but there are also wider issues. Irish wages would be huge compared to Ukraine. Zelinskys salary is lower than Irish minimum wage.

This will dampen wage inflation

Advertisement