Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester Marathon Oct 2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Got my training done, went up mile each week and finished with 2 x 20 milers so it's been decent enough having had covid and missing the first 7 weeks of training, unfortunately I've tested positive again. I'm tapering at min so not missing the huge miles but it's just get around the course now fingers crossed. Bad timing

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I am going to head out to a parkrun close enough to the number pick up on the sat, trot that and then head over to the number pickup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Going down to the parkrun in Alexandra Park on the Sat morning myself. Heading up to the expo straight after. Haven't received a single thing off the organisers since I got confirmation of entry too, very strange. Tried reaching out to them but no response

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Unknownability

I found twitter the best way to contact them with any questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

bit of a strange one from me but does anyone know if there will be any shower facilities after marathon?

have a late flight home on sunday and a shower before going for food etc and airport would be amazing

not expecting this will be possible but maybe there is a chance ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

I'm in pink wave A which has the 3.15 pacers, pink B has the 3.30 pacers. Not in shape to run 3.15 so I'm gonna duck back and sit with the 3.30. I dont want to risk trying to run slow after going with the A wave and waiting for the B wave to catch me,could end up in no mans land for a long time !!!!

Stretford parkrun myself, seems to be within walking distance of the number collection. I had planned on going to Peel Parkrun but may aswell head out towards the number pickup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

I don't think there are showers at the finish. My hotel are acting the arse about a late check out so am lining up a gym near the finish that is £6 pay as you go

That's correct no showers at the end.

The Radisson at the airport has a leisure centre that you can use for £6.50, 2-3 minutes walk from the terminal.

https://www.radissonhotels.com/en-us/hotels/radisson-blu-manchester-airport/spa

thanks for the info about showers, will also try find nearby gym or else maybe airport before flight. just over a week to go now! :D

• Advertisement

This was recommended to me by a local. Walking distance from the finish line

https://www.thegymgroup.com/find-a-gym/manchester-old-trafford/

thanks again

extra careful to dodge covid now until after the marathon at least lols

My hotel have finally given me a late check out. For another £20. I'm only doing it to avoid the hassle

travel chaos in dublin airport due to staff shortages, anyone flying over make sure to leave an extra hour or two on top of whatever u normally would just to be safe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭racersedge

Was only just sent that article. Adding fast track as a precaution methinks….

Even fast track has been a disaster lately.

yeah i heard that too, i would not book it in advance as you can pay when u get to the airport anyway, if it is really busy at fast track then no point paying the extra for it

i am on the 10.35 flight on saturday, i guess if i arrive at 7am or so it should be ok hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭andrew1977

And when heading home give yourself plenty of time to get through security.

Manchester airport security queue time is dreadful at the minute and the airport management have acknowledged this and said it’s expected to be ongoing .

My sister flew home to Madrid yesterday afternoon and was an hour in the Fast Track queue. I've booked already but sounds like it'll be poxy no matter what

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 799 ✭✭✭marathon2022

I know its a bit far out but the weather is looking good for racing sunday in Manchester✌️, almost no wind and 2-9°C start to finish tempertaure range. Bit of rain maybe but with the terrain it shouldnt be an issue(except for chaffed nipples)

6 days out so this could change

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Bgiraffe

All geared up for Manchester this weekend - then a positive Covid test this morning. Appropriate enough way to finish up an injury hit training block. Started a plan pushing for 3.30 last November and pulled groin in December. Cost about 5 weeks of training. Was just back up to a decent level (hoping for 3.40, 3.45) when this hit. Hopefully it'll be clear by weekend. Flights booked for Friday evening. I wonder is there any great danger with running a marathon immediately after Covid if I do make it? Heart wise and what not. I suppose it wouldn't be advisable. We'll see how it pans out :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Not to be the stick in the mud here but if you got a positive test today then you need to isolate for 7 days and certainly shouldn't be getting on a plane Friday.

Yeah, fair enough alright. Hadn't properly checked all that out yet. 7 days rules me out so. Still in a state of being gutted. Tomorrow will be time enough for sanity to kick back in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

It's really disappointing, heart breaking even, at this stage. It's the times we're in though, everything needs a Plan B! Aside from having to isolate, I sincerely doubt you would be able to run a marathon by the weekend. Everyone is different but it is currently 5 days since I tested + and I couldn't run a mile, never mind 26.2 at pace. Even if your symptoms are milder than mine it couldn't be good for you. My OH is 9 days since his + and the antigen tests are still showing positive, so while he is feeling good there is obviously still a significant virus load in his system. Take the time now to get well and you will find another marathon to put the training to good use, it's a great time of year where there will be plenty more events. Rest up, this strain seems to respond to old fashioned rest & fluids. Feel better soon.

• Advertisement

well said!

all the best bgiraffe, that really does come at a **** time for you. i am sure you can carry over the benefits of what training you have done to another race in the summer or autumn.

Thanks for the thoughts and advice guys, much appreciated. All spot on of course. Head is back in gear today. There'll be plenty more races. Onwards and upwards! Pal of mine is always saying that making the start line is half the battle with any marathon. I'll be listening to his advice more often in future! Best of luck everyone in Manchester.

See in the info for number pickup that they aren’t offering pins. Going to sound like a silly one, but what’s the story with bringing pins on an airplane? Tiny yokes, but really don’t want to be hauled out of a security line for having a sharp object!

This will be the first race to travel abroad for so these are the little things I’m left to worry about ahead of travelling at the weekend! Heck, I’ve never had the do the whole clear bag lark for things as I’d usually chuck that stuff in the hold or buy it cheap when over! 😂

no issue at all to bring pins onboard, if you do forget them rather than (foolishly) try find them in a shop in MCR just ask at your hotel reception as they usually have spares.

I've a little Smints tin full of pins. If anyone on here finds themselves short just give me a shout. I'm over on Friday morning so happy to meet up and exchange pins if anyone is stuck

• Advertisement

To be fair to yourself this was an unfortunate one. Hard to be too hard on yourself when its something as sh*tty as Covid preventing you from getting there. I'm running Limerick in 5 weeks and have the same fear that all the build up could be for nothing if I , or a family member, gets hit by it.

Sorry to hear you're missing out. Build on the fitness and strength you have gained through your marathon block of training.

Well, this sounds like it's going to be fun getting on a plane over the next few days

https://www.independent.ie/news/dublin-airport-suspends-sale-of-new-fast-track-passes-as-queue-chaos-continues-41498563.html

i would not have bothered with fast track anyway, it will be packed if there is more travel disruption so not much benefit.

hard to know now how busy itll be on sat morning since those with later flights will now be there earlier which is going to make things even busier than it would have been as a result of staff shortages!

**** timing for the Covid lad, the Limerick Marathon advise is good though. I had a moderate dose of Covid 4 weeks ago, although I missed the two big peak weeks in the training block I will give Manchester a lash. In reality I only feel somewhat normal this week during the taper.

Good luck on Sunday. I'd say it'll be a great experience, a friend of mine really enjoyed it last September. He was saying the hills around miles 17 and 19 (I think) crept up on him out of nowhere so no harm being forwarned.

Thanks, I was reading one of the posters logs on here a while ago and the same thing was mentioned, hopefully Im in a good place when I reach this section and can slow down without causing me too much stress. :-)

I'm flying out at lunchtime on Friday and not taking any chances with security queues, planning to be in the airport for 10.00 ish and hopefully get through without much delay. Checking in bags and going through security with nothing but me and the clothes I stand in. Have been checking the DAA site for the last few days around the time I will be there and it has varied from 10 minutes to 35 minutes but it being Friday those times could go t**s up.

Same myself. Taking no chances. Rather be chilling and waiting than stressing and burning off much needed energy for the weekend! The whole idea of flying Friday was to even reduce the stress of any delay impact number collection!

am planning to arrive at airport 3 hours before my 10:30am sat morning flight

is there any way to check what the queues or volume is like on a sat morning? not sure if this is typically a busier time - presume it will be bad

a knock on effect of all of this is that in addition to the staff shortages in dub, people with later flights in afternoon will also arrive way earlier than usual so it will mess things up even more

Download the DAA app (Dublin Airport Official). It gives you live queue times for both terminals.

• Advertisement

Talk about Murphys Law......as soon as I mentioned the security times in the DAA App they go and remove that vital piece of information, perhaps it was just "pie in the sky" numbers.

it is still there, when u open the app on the "flights" window, at the very bottom it says Security Times T1= 10 min, T2=15min, etc

Not showing on mine, I contacted them and they said that they were "updating the app, right now". I uninstalled and reinstalled......still nothing !!

I sailed through security at about 7:30. No guarantee it'll be like that for the rest of today and tomorrow of course

seems to have disappeared on mine. it was there yesterday!

maybe they took it down for the wknd, dunno..

The very best of luck tomorrow everyone, I hope it goes well for you and you get whatever it is you're looking for. 

Weather looks ideal, enjoy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Very best of luck to everyone running tomorrow, I ran Manchester in Oct & enjoyed it. All the hard work is done so go out & enjoy it!

They lied.........the do have safety pins !!!!😁. Best of luck to all tomorrow. I will be the aul lad in the Bray Runners white and orange vest hopefully with the 3.30 pacers. gis a shout if you see me.

Yeah I was shocked to see them - after all the worry of thinking they might cause some aggro at security! 🤣

• Advertisement

Well thats Manchester done & dusted, really happy with 3.28 after 2 years of fixing injuries. The 3.30 pacers were supposed to be in pink wave B but for some unknown reason they fu**ed off with the A wave leaving us with no pacers so it was a diy job. Managed to curb the urge to go out too fast and was delighted with a very even paced run. Anybody else find the mile markers way off, I mean at least .2 of a mile off. My garmin said that I ran 26.52 and I'm not one to run wide corners so I'm knocking a bit off the time for bragging rights !!

Advertisement