Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,199 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Well, wherever they were dropping to, it wasn't their direct rival 2fm. Every afternoon show on Today FM beat it's corresponding 2FM show (Mairead Ronan v Tracy Clifford , Fergal D'Arcy v Jenny Greene)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Mairead Ronan had added 11k listeners at the last JNLRs. Yes, there was a considerable drop from D&D to the lunchtime show but isn't that replicated across the dial - people get up from their desk at lunchtime and go get lunch, stick on the TV, go out for some exercise or to the shops, etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

who's the aussie one on now? instead of Matt Cooper

Brianna Parkins. Usually a Journal.ie journalist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,775 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Not a great radio host though.

bit nervous, give her time

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

And for anyone complaining about yesterday’s replacement, today we have officially scraped the bottom of the barrel - Ian Guider. Destroyer of words, mangler of english, tirty tird lort of de trone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭hold my beer

I listen to a bit of Dempsey, all of D&D, Foley and Cooper. Can't say I've noticed a huge change in music, other than Foley returning and playing way more different stuff than the usual. Long may it continue

Ed Smith gets universal praise but apart from him and Ian Dempsey (who people appear to be neutral about), you have to criticise everyone. It's in the thread charter, or something. (There have been a few posts pointing out the changes and welcoming them, a couple of pages back, in fairness).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

haven't listened in years but got a new vintage receiver recently and have been noting that today fm has picked up a bit. Then chanced across Declan Pierce on Friday evening. Cracking old school tunes, will be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭LilacNails

I must be the only one that hears blue and Backstreet boy . .. Every... Fcukin.... Day 😳 needs a harder shake imo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

I hear Backstreet Boys a lot

And Ghetto Superstar lately

I'll still take the new playlist over the last

I try to stay positive on here about DJs and shows, but - come back Ferg d'Arcy, all is forgiven! Ok, the fake nostalgia bit did get a bit wearing, but the unfunny "bantz" between Ray Foley and JP are just cringe. Talking about combing their hair for the past 10 minutes... and I know it'll likely show up in a promo played on every other show for the next couple of days.

Still. Spotify is on now. That'll do until Block Rockin' Beats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

I have bemoaned so much of TodayFMs new changes but I have to say I'm really enjoying Pamela Joyce. She's quite witty, self-aware and not one of those women that turns their show into MammyFM.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Was listening to D&D on Thursday morning as I was off work, and I have to say the playlist has improved significantly. Seems too have moved back towards the "classic" Today FM playlist from the Dempsey/Darcy/Fenton era

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

I wouldn't go that far!! I don't hear many songs from the 60s / 70s /80s during the day !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,155 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

On the showbiz segment on the Ian Dempsey show yesterday, they spoke about how Irish band Fontaines DC new album had topped the UK charts. They were also awarded Best band in the World in the NME awards last month.

Ian admitted that he had never played a Fontaines DC song on his show.

Imagine an Irish band who had won such critical and commercial acclaim not getting played on an Irish breakfast radio show.

It sums up the musical direction Today FM has taken from midnight to 10pm weekdays.

They're not really a band for the morning though are they

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

Is anyone else sick to the teeth of Ian dempsey, he sounds like he's put too much time in and just going through the motions at this stage, no interest in who he's talking to and just talks away to fill the time, and waffle ffs, who thought that was a good idea and finally Mario rosenstock needs to be put out topasture, he stopped being funny 15 years ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

I’m not being smart here but I don’t listen to him because I don’t enjoy his show and I’d recommend you do the same. I listen to Spin1038 in the morning and then TodayFM after 10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,447 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

She is excellent. Has a natural wit to her, no airs and graces and can bounce off anyone, on any topic. Best female DJ they have had on a daytime slot, by a distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Dannyman76

Third time hearing Noni's new song, ha ha. Anyway that Meta smart glasses public announcement/ad be banned also?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

There must be serious need for it. It’s a bit frightening that add.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Limerick91

Radio 1 Played them at 6:50 am the other morning

• Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

I've never really paid attention to it. Is it warning people these glasses exist? Or is it advertising them for people to buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

It's an advert disguised as a public service announcement.

By "making people aware" of people using them, they're basically telling people to get used to people wearing them and normalising them.

Subconsciously it's telling us that there will be demand for them and when we see them in a shop they're hoping we'll be more inclined to buy them as they're now a normal, expected thing to use.

I actually can't remember the ad exactly but I think it's telling people to be aware others will have them, how it'll show a white light when recording etc.

It describes how people would record video and take pictures. It's very creepy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

An advert for a product as stupid and invasive as an Alexa

Advertisement