Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elden Ring (George RR Martin and From Software)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,595 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Chart on the wiki shows that sword will scale more with Dex than Arcane (they're both D scaling, but once you start upgrading it the Dex scaling increases to C and B, but Arcane stays at D). So it depends on your current Dex level. If you have decent points in Dex already, maybe level up Mind for a while for that FP boost.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Arcane affects bleed damage though doesnt it?

Yeah but that will also increase through levelling up the weapon itself and as Dex scaling increases as the sword is levelled that'll increase overall damage. If you already meet the Arcane requirement to use the sword, if it only scales as a D then the increase in Arcane would be less than an increase in Dex at a C or B scaling.

Arcane can increase blood loss buildup in general, but I don't know if that would match the damage output from scaling Dex on that weapon, especially as some enemies and bosses would be immune to blood loss or die before it has a chance to build up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Bloodloss actually works on a lot of them and takes off an insane chunk of damage based on percentage of max HP rather than being tied to stats. I think quicker bleed build up sounds pretty damn sweet

It definitely works on some major ones (was absolutely key to beating the toughest boss in the game), but does it increase the percentage of HP it takes off them or just how quickly the blood loss builds up? Or both?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,808 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Yeah the whole bleed mechanic is confusing. Not doing much to fire Giant but i googled him and he's resistant to bleed, lovely :) I have a few larval tear things to respec so might pump away on dex first and if not seeing much damage, might try arcane instead. Definitely need mind as i had played up until this point with 1 blue flask and now using 3 and running out quickly during battles.

I googled 2 talismans that will really help my build, one is under the capital which i hadn't gone to on my first trip there. The other is when you finish Alexanjar's quest so i followed him around for a while, what a brilliant character.

I think it's just blood loss build up. The bleed damage I think is fixed.

Subterranean shunning grounds. F this place!

I mean it's a fixed percentage of the enemies max HP. I could be wrong though.

• Advertisement

Be careful, be very careful there. You can lock in an ending in that place with a certain NPC quest. There is an out with another NPC quest but if going for the all endings in one playthrough leave this place for last unless doing the dung eater questline.

Ah gotcha. I put a few levels into dex, up to 38 i think but the attack stats never moved, no stats changed. Most look up that wiki Penn mentioned.

I think it's kind of an unseen calculation. The attack damage on a weapon stays the same on the screen as it's the power of the weapon itself. But there are hidden bonus multipliers for scaling. So if a weapon has C scaling for dex, it could be (for example) 1.3x bonus damage based on your dex level. If you upgrade the weapon and that dex scaling changes to a B, you might be doing 1.4x damage based on your dex level (on top of the increase in attack power you see on the weapon stats).

The attack power (physical, fire etc) stays the same on the stats screen as it's the base damage for that weapon at that level. Bonus damage based on your character level and weapon scaling isn't shown on the stats screen.

It's complicated. It's poorly explained. It's Soulsborne.

Yeah just hope im not wasting runes on minimal payout. When i first started, stats would increase anytime i moved str or dex up so is disheartening when you don't see any move and just hoping it makes a difference. I think I'm gonna pump into mind from now on just so bi can spam the skill as that's what's doing all the damage at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Sometimes the stat increase is being held back by your weapon. I couldnt figure out why adding points to dex wasnt increasing my attack power, it was only when I upgraded my weapon that it started to move the needle again.

Just did a bit of research (I googled), and it says in the stats screen, where attack power might be say 150 + 25, the 25 is the increased power based on your own scaling/levels.

But yeah, there's all kinds of soft caps (where continuing to scale one stat past a certain level has diminishing returns) and other factors that can go into it, not to mention enemies own weaknesses/resistances.

I wouldn't read too much into it, as it's all going to depend on what weapon you like, its speed, its reach, your weapon art etc. For now based on your posts, I'd level up mind for a bit, then maybe 2 dex to 1 arcane.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

At an impasse of sorts. Have yet to beat Niall and nearly had him but got greedy, out of bewitching branches and nowhere to buy/farm them now. Wasted three of them as my character turned as I used them! Also beat Astel easy enough last night and Mohg but those are dead ends currently. Met the lord of the volcano manor and had a good first go but wrecking me ever since and the fire giant is a big hairy bollix so far. Fia's boss is another I can try again but no progress until I kill a couple of these lads. Loving my lighting ash of war and poison mist combo since I respecced. Was quite disappointed with the lake of rot area, felt a bit empty and rushed.

So I finally got the mimic tear, upgraded him to +5 and unleashed her on bosses.

And she isn't all that good. She is getting destroyed on the twin gargoyles fight so I've had to abandon that as I just get ganked when number two arrives and mimic tear is usually dead or near death. And she was absolutely useless against godskin apostle, I just ended up learning that fight and beating it without her.

I've hit Atlus Plateau now after clearing up a few loose ends.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Crumbling Farum Azula complete, so finally onto the final stretch.

Finally taking advantage of Comet Azur - I'd dabbled with it for a while, but now finally at the stage with if I use the right physicks tears I can shave a solid three-quarters of some major bosses' health off in one well-timed cast. Dragonlord is a tricky fight but managed to use Comet Azur to make that second phase a whole lot shorter than it otherwise would have been.

If you can get it to +8 or over, you might see a big difference. It has great HP (and can use consumables in your quick-select without it costing you a consumable, though it's if it decides to use them at their own discretion), and ultimately is based off your own build when you summon. Sometimes I unequipped sword when summoning so it'd only use magic for instance.

It's not the win-button or cheesing people make it out to be though (not post-patch anyway). It's still just a big help for pulling aggro and building up status damages for the most part. Most big boss fights, it likely won't make it to the end of the fight even at +10, it'll just get you closer to the end and have a better shot. Get you through to second phases etc with more flasks in your pocket

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,348 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Mimic tear as a mage is great in some circumstances, especially when it breaks out the Comet or rock sling

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The best tip for Mimic Tear as a mage is to unequip any superfluous spells before a boss fight. I usually have six or so spells equipped for normal play but knock that down to two or three for the boss fights. Makes it much more likely the Mimic Tear will use what you want them to, while also making life a bit easier for yourself.

Although I'd also agree you basically need any legendary summon at +8 or +9 by the time the mid/late-game rolls around :)

I can't find the upgrade materials to get the Mimic Tear to greater than +5 :/

Also stuck looking for smithing stones [6]. I've loads of higher grade stuff but my weapon is stuck at it's current level until I manage to get some. Might just wiki it before I continue on with Atlus Plateau.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

There's an absolute tonne of them throughtout Ranni's quest, I just picked up what was there and I had enough to get 2 summons to +10. IIRC there are also a couple of ghost bell bearings lying around here that will let you buy the materials to get them to +8. Just retrace your steps through the ancient city and river sofria.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

My character was a battlemage. I was wearing full armor and a shield with a staff/Moonlight Greatsword in the other hand. If I wanted my mimic to melee/tank, I would summon him while equipped with the sword. If I wanted him to be a ranged mage, I would summon while having the staff equipped. This kind of variety is one of the many reasons it is by far the best summon.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Lots of comments on areas and bosses I've yet to see, but anyway, defeated Margit last night, thought it would be tougher, took about 5 goes and was done. Got the heart racing though, as the boss fights in these games tend to do. Than had a quick trot about at the start of the castle before having to get on with some other stuff.

Will be back on this eve for an hour and if lucky an hour or two in the morning.

Beat the fire Giant and onto the next area but feel like I'm just running for my life from one site of grace to the next. Beat the duo bosses first time though so happy with that. Met old Jar head and that's where i stopped. I feel like this bleed build isn't working for me. The skill is great but it's not interrupting any enemy attacks and I'm very squishy without heavy armour and Greatshield. One on one with strong enemies is very difficult to get off my attacks, especially with these later game enemies. I'm level 70, 40 vig, 40 dex as my main stats. Might respec again back to str and tigress my uchi maybe. Really liking the str build but with a fast weapon.

Jesus, Level 70 at the Fire Giant? I was probably about 120 at that stage. I'd nearly attribute that to the struggle you're facing more than anything else.

You're very, very low level for where you are in the game (basically the final stretch)! I just beat that area last night and I'm around level 130-140.

You might have missed a fair few optional areas I reckon so it might be worth doing a bit more exploring before progressing further.

• Advertisement

Ha, the exact feeling I'm getting at the moment is "i really shouldn't be here. Maybe the rivers of blood is serving me better than i thought. Also, thinking about it, i marked a fair few bosses early and mid game i had trouble with before, must go back to them and also finish ranni's quest. I remember finding a good few areas that game me trouble and going a different way so yeah, definitely plenty for me to do instead. Commander Niall can feck off altogether though. Even used a summon fiber, 2nd time I've done it and no signs around, waste of a finger.

Got my mimic tear to +10 anyway so so this late game running around is coming in handy.

Advertisement