Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bruce Willis retires from acting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭KieferFan69

No I think the first 3 die hard movies were iconic

although I think you can already see the mental decline in die hard 4

It is just an opinion. An opinion that you thought was rounded enough to offer it publicly. And an opinion which most right minded people believe to be crass, unnecessary and idiotic.

"there's bigger things happening in the world". So **** what? You obviously cared enough to respond.

And just to be pedantic, it's lose. It's not loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,527 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Some real classy commentary in places here on the thread.... Talk about a lack of tact.

I'd only really heard of the stories on the back of the red letter media guys on YouTube doing an overview of his DTV career.

Always liked him as an actor and I for one am sad to see his career end like this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Because that's what's important here, the audience. 🙄

Look, fair enough if you don't rate Willis as an actor, but maybe think of stepping away from the commentary that makes you look a little crass.

There are always "bigger things" happening in the world, but if you've ever had a loved one slowly degrade in front of you, their mind simply disintegrating one heartbreak at a time, then you'd think twice about attempting towards some sense of macro whataboutery.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,461 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

You actually came here to post that guff?

Shame on you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,666 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

• Registered Users Posts: 17,085 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Very sad news

I don't think many actors have 100% good movies but the vast majority of his were very enjoyable

• Registered Users Posts: 33,804 ✭✭✭✭Penn

As I said on the off-topic thread, in the right role, he could be great. I think throughout his career he's picked some pretty awful roles, and a lot of them he didn't seem to care much or put much effort in. But when he gave a damn, it showed. He had a lot of awful performances, but he had a lot of great ones too.

I certainly don't begrudge him taking on as many awful roles as he could over the last few years, especially if the reason he was doing so was to earn money for his family as he knew he'd no longer be able to do so.

I hope his condition is as kind to him as possible and affords him some enjoyment and peace going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭magic_murph

A multi-millionaire has RETIRED from pretending to be other people. He hasn't died.

Think bigger and move along.

is Bruce a loved one to you or anybody else on here.... if so my condolences. If not lets just take a step back and congratulate him on retirement and still being alive.

I wasn't trying to be crass but hay each to their own.

• Advertisement

Thanks for your feedback - it is always important to me.

should you need to vent anymore please call 1800-bla-bla-bla.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,713 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

One of the best guests on Friends, The Last Boy Scout and Striking Distance are two of my favourites of his, probably both are underrated

• Registered Users Posts: 33,804 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah, I agree with magic_murph. It's pointless talking about things like this. We should be discussing far more important things, such as how long would it take to introduce a skip into your walk without your partner noticing.

Never id get a convincing answer. The quest for knowledge continues.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Did you even read the article? The whole point was that the disease he suffers from will make "being alive" a variable concept. Cognitive degeneration is tough. The retirement ain't through choice, acting being a rare job you can do til you croak at 90+

You started this by deciding to lecture everyone wanting to express some sympathy for a shítty degenerative disease, with finger wagging about "bigger things". Read the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Tork

It looks like that LA Times article was either timed to coincide with the news of Willis's retirement, or that his people knew it was coming and got their announcement ready. Either way, it's a sad end to his acting career. Even if you leave out those late films, his career was always something of a mixed bag. But still, he had some well loved roles and films in his back catalogue. That's pretty good innings.

When I read down through that article, the incident where he fired the gun at the wrong time on a set reminded me of that awful Alec Baldwin accident. Questions were asked at the time about how that unfortunate cinematographer came to be shot dead on the set. Now, I'm reading about an actor who seems to have been working on movie sets, despite having some sort of cognitive impairment. I wonder who was making the big decisions behind the scenes and how much input did Bruce have into them?

He's worth an estimated $250 million though so his grandkids, never mind his kids, should be ok for funds.

and wouldn't have been getting that much money compared to what he used to get for "proper films" for those horrific Randall Emmett cameo-piece so-called "Geezer Teaser" movies that he has been doing for the last few years.

But yes, it would explain why he was doing those films where he'd only have to work a short time.

It also reduces further (if that was possible) my assessment of Emmett. Willis's own "team" of agents and minders would not come out of too well either.

(so-called because the likes of Willis turns up for a few days (or less) filming and his name is used as a top-billing marketing and sales draw, even though he's only on-screen for not much more than cameo-role time; the likes of Nic Cage also has indulged. The "per-day" rate would work out very good I suppose!)

https://www.vulture.com/article/randall-emmett-movies.html

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yeah I think they knew and got ahead of the bad news. If the LA Times article had come out first there might have been less public sympathy for Willis. It was only a matter of time until the full extent of his condition became known and he became unhirable even for the dreck he's been in lately. I am a bit sceptical about the incident of him firing the gun though. Not saying it didn't happen or there isn't truth to it but there's obviously a market for stories like that at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

I said for years something was terribly wrong in this man’s gear

not all there

condolences to everyone involved they did the right thing by sparing him and finally pulling him out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,457 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

He was apparently getting 2M for 2 days works for the terrible films he did at the end.

yes but he would have been getting a multiple of that for the full roles.

As I said the per-day rate was very good.

Huge money in "normal person" terms.

Either way sounds like he should have been retired for years and him continuing on in that condition seems grubby and exploitative from both the point-of-view of the likes of Emmett and Willis' own minders who were quite incentivised to keep him going even though it appears at times that he didn't know what the fook was going on or where he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

You also said this, showing your ignorance, buy you a coffee? I wouldn't give you the steam off my piss

Did I ask you for a coffee, I’m actually a fan but I’ve seen the actors decline for almost a decades , something was very wrong with his performances

• Registered Users Posts: 60,698 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I wonder will the RedLetterMedia guys address the video they made about Willis last month as this seems to be the catalyst to this news being made public.

They did a follow up video on Willis' DTV output, cos there's just that much of it; IIRC they basically addressed the then rumours. How it's hard to know either way, cos nothing was confirmed or denied by anyone and basically was none of their business either way when all's said and done. They seemed a bit taken aback, uncomfortable even, by being a catalyst for this entire segue. Wrapped within their noted dark humour mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,651 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

This genuinely brought a bit of sadness to me when I read it. He is a part of my Christmas, along with my circle of friends, with Die Hard, but looking overall, I really love a lot of the movies he has been in.

The real tragedy is the manner in which he now has to retire. As some have mentioned, it robs people of something that is so core to them, so it has that extra sadness to it. I, like many, wish him the best in his retirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

Does Bruce's illness explain why his recent films have been so bad ?

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

For me there is only 2 die hard movies 1 and 3.

• Advertisement
Advertisement