Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

My guess he will send them to the western and eastern flanks in Russia while taking the more experienced veterans from the same positions and send them to Ukraine and joinup with Wagner group in Ukraine for one last attack on Kyiev

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Will South Ossetia actually hold this often talked about referendum though, I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

The Kremlin Already runs the area, and the Russian military patrol the border with Georgia,

It's Russian in all but name.

If anything Georgia and Moldova should make moves to get their countries back and expel Russian forces

• Registered Users Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

US not messing around:

"The US president Joe Biden is due to announce the release of a record 1m barrels of oil from US strategic stockpiles every day for the next six months in an attempt to dampen soaring fuel prices in the wake of the attack on Ukraine. The White House said:

After consultation with allies and partners, the president will announce the largest release of oil reserves in history, putting one million additional barrels on the market per day on average – every day – for the next six months.

The scale of this release is unprecedented: the world has never had a release of oil reserves at this one million per day rate for this length of time. This record release will provide a historic amount of supply to serve as bridge until the end of the year when domestic production ramps up.

Agence France-Presse reports that Biden was scheduled to lay out the details in a speech later on Thursday. The release will dwarf earlier uses of the strategic stockpile announced by the Biden administration in tandem with other countries on 1 March – following the Russian invasion, and also last year in response to rising inflation."

• Advertisement

Mobilisation draft and normal conscription draft in peacetime is two different things.

In war time you can draft anyone between 18-60 like Ukraine have done to defend themselves

It can be either,we dont know.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Apart from firing some parting rockets at it they are done with Kyiv. Not sure these veterans would be up to much either.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Fierce fighting between the Kadyrov's soldiers and a traffic light!

We will see,as one of his advisers said,when Putin have started something,he will finish it,whatever it takes.

But yes i dont think they would be able to do much,but thats Putin for you

And Putin doesnt have any other options,if he doesnt win the war,he is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

His concept of a win for Russia will be the one he sells to Russians, probably those "rescued" republics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Longing

That was released yesterday. Some US veterans commented on it saying, what are the doing. One guy said the three solders where competing who could take out the traffic light. I believe he was right.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,890 ✭✭✭✭josip

Let the brain drain accelerate!

Although crossing an official border now for them will be risky. Better to spend a few years in the taiga by themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,407 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Ah grand. Give lots of young people weapons.....tben they march on the Kremlin!!

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭wassie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Sure, but as Putin keeps telling his people, this is a 'special military operation', not a war. This means Putin can only continue with the annual 'peacetime' conscription, not full a mobilisation draft it would destroy his own narrative. Plus, the Russian people would expect conscripts and reserves to be used only in wartime, not for a 'special military operation'. This is why the Russian government have already said that these 135k conscripts won't be going to Ukraine and why there was already a bit of a backlash/backtrack in Russia when it was discovered that conscripts had ended up in Ukraine early on.

Now, obviously, this is Putin we are talking about, I'm sure plenty of them will 'accidentally' be sent to Ukraine, but in the general case he does still have to play along to his narrative within Russia itself. I don't see them ending up in mass in Ukraine, more than likely as mentioned, they'll end up replacing troops in Syria/Georgia/Kuril islands etc. so those troops can be brought back to Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Russia wants its oil paid for in Rubles? Will the West call his bluff?

Like when Hitler lost Stalingrad, it wasn't a defeat, objectives were complete, they were just focusing on elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭KieferFan69

You have to love the Chechens they are hard men. If you painted a model army you would definitely include a unit of these as novelty regiment

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Gas. Oil flow into Europe has already slowed to a crawl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Economics101

Three little problems:

1. Oil is priced globally in Dollars. Paying in Rouble involves exchange rate risks, and I am by no means certain if the buyer will bear all this risk.
    2. Ultimately Western importers are exchanging Dollars and Euro for oil and gas. Use of the Rouble is just adding an extra intermediate transaction cost.
    3. If Vlad keeps the receipts in Roubles, then he is making a pretty stupid decision. But sooner or later he will have to sell much of the Roubles, this will depreciate the currency and essentially reverse any Rouble appreciation caused by Western purchases of Roubles at the start of the process.

I'm a little baffled why people don't see this. Don't let Vlad turn a pretty pointless move into a big issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

The issue with being "dug in" is that they literally have to dig. As in dig up dust, soil, and dirt which contains radioactive particles. And if they don't have decent respirators they're breathing in and swallowing those particles.

Also all of the workers in Chernobyl will be wearing dosimeters which tell them exactly what their exposure has been and they rotate as appropriate to ensure their daily/weekly/monthly/yearly limits are kept within "safe" levels. I would suspect the Russian troops won't have any of that.

Added to that the fact the plant and its surrounds have been largely cleaned up; but random areas of the countryside have not been. There are plenty of notorious spots which are highly radioactive and it's not clear if the Russian soldiers would have been told about any of that; or if told would have actually taken the right precautions.

Which all assumes they have actually been digging in as opposed to just occupying parts of the plant which are relatively safe; since they're relatively far behind the front lines.

Russian soldiers are not getting acute radiation poisoning from digging trenches or whatever they were up to. At worst they are facing a heightened lifetime risk of cancer but there is nothing outside the actual melted core at this stage that is going to contribute that level of radiation. I don't know what the background of the story is, but its almost certainly not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭brickster69

But, but, but the rouble is rubble

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

I wasn't claiming they were getting acute radiation poisoning; just pointing out the dangers and mechanisms of radiation exposure to them in the area. There are also cases of chronic radiation poisoning mentioned in some literature; so that's also a possibility although probably not likely.

More likely is that exposure to cold, poor sanitation, poor nutrition, anxiety and stress of occupying an enemy territory (especially if they're aware it is Chernobyl and potentially dangerous), and so on have taken a toll on morale and general fitness.

Or it's possible there's no merit to the story whatsoever and they just withdrew to be redeployed somewhere.

That is the story floating around the internet (or at least it was this morning). 7 busloads of Russians taken to be treated for acute radiation poisoning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

I know when I was in Chernobyl, the tour guides said the radiation in the ground was sinking at a rate of about 1cm/year - so it'd be about a foot underground now.

Remember too the entire topsoil of the area was dug up and effectively turned upside-down in 1986 to bury the radiation. It's one of the most contaminated areas in the world.

I can't find any stats online on radiation levels underground though. They're going to be a lot worse than above ground anyway, and above ground is a no-go zone. But yeah, they almost certainly aren't suffering like the guys who looked into the open core for example, or the firefighters picking up bits of graphtie. And you think of the guys who worked under the plant or who went in to release the water and who are for the most part alive today too.

A remarkably stupid thing to do all the same.

A couple of interesting tweets I've come across today. Note that they're both somewhat graphic; so be aware if you click into the images:

A Russian tank which fell off a bridge and sank early in the war was recovered; seems like the entire crew were trapped under the tank and drowned:

The Ukraine Armed Forces reportedly tried to conduct an airlift from Mariupol using an Mi-8 helicopter. The images suggest it was a medical evacuation flight containing wounded soldiers from Mariupol; and it was unfortunately brought down along the coast. Really brave mission to undertake by the pilots; I suppose it's easy to claim it was reckless considering Russia has total control of the surrounding area.

Be aware of clicking through; some of the other photos in the replies are very graphic:

• Advertisement

There will be higher radiation levels further below ground, but absolutely nothing that will give you acute poisoning. I'd be pretty worried about what would happen to me 20 years down the road though. The stuff that would really damage you is all in the reactor core, everything else will have decayed long ago.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement