Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

I don't think it'll have decayed to safe levels - not with that half-life (30 years for the nastier bits; longer for plutonium)

If they've dug trenches and stayed there a couple of weeks at close quarters to the ground, it's possible some have absorbed enough to get sick. Again, a long way from the scenes in the HBO series of course, and yeah, long-term cancer prospects wouldn't be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

Again it probably depends. I don't know that anyone has dug up the Red Forest and determined precisely how much radiation is emitted. So if someone were to say dig a deep trench in the Red Forest and then live in it for a month I expect they mightn't be feeling 100%. There hasn't exactly been a lot of research in the field of digging defensive fortifications in areas of buried radioactive material so who really knows.

In any case let's give the Russians the benefit of some doubt that they would have prepared the units there sufficiently so as to avoid really silly experiments like that particular one.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

I'm not sure they've earned that benefit of doubt to be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Economics101

RTE reports a new Russian entry ban on prominent EU officials, which also includes the "vast majority" of MEPs. So I presume Wallace and Daly are free to enter. I hope someone gifts them one-way tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Don't get too excited there. The short term measures to prop it up are not going to work so well over the medium and long term. The banks are still supporting a 20% rate and I'd be curious to see what the situation is for Russia in 6 months to 1 year if the war/sanctions continue.

• Advertisement

Interesting piece from a well connected Russian journalist (who has left Russia recently)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,908 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I do enjoy how a poster on an Irish forum can acutely say these guys who dug trenches into the ground in the zone where the majority of the blow out from Chernobyl fell cannot possibly have radiation sickness.. it's gas people can make these statements with such authority.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

The term "half life" is probably the easiest to understand in the entire field of physics. Anyone who doesn't completely understand it's meaning or the fact that different elements exist (some for a very short time), some in various isotope configurations, has no business commenting on the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,516 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Seems the non stop state propaganda and lies about Ukraine may even be starting to cause problems for the regime i.e. they may have overegged the pudding and given themselves no out from the war:

"But the presidential administration is said to be concerned about how “a possible truce with Ukraine will hit Putin’s [approval] ratings.”

“The citizens were riled up by propaganda. Suppose a decision is made to stop at the territory of the Donbas. What about the Nazis then? Are we no longer fighting them? This word has been hammered into people so much that I can’t imagine how one can stop in Donbas without losing approval ratings,” one source told Meduza."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I have been to Chernobyl. The staff/guards get rotated every 2-3 days.

The area around the plant is generally low on the dosimeter about 10times higher than Kyiv. The dosimeter can go off the scale around some of the wooded areas.

The red forest is a no go area for the tours and probably workers unless precautions are taken.

For reference (and it fluctuates day by day) for when I went there

Radiation in Kyiv was 0.09 (Dublin would probably be similar)

About 100m from the plant was 0.90.

I was in a rural house in the woods and it spiked up to 4.5 and we were pulled out.

There will be areas where it is higher and that you can't go to (that the Russians may have been). And they stayed there for nearly a month. There's a chance they they may have even been drinking water around there too.

There is a small town in the exclusion zone called Chornobyl, about 10-15km from the plant. Seems like a couple of thousand people living there. It will be interesting to see if they have any reactions.

It caught me by surprise when the Russian soldiers pulled out of the exclusion zone. It seemed very abrupt. There may be some truth in the rumours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Field east

Chernobyl was ‘lucky’ in the sense that it’s a highly forested and ecologically active area. So a lot of the radioactive materials that were scattered around were absorbed by plants, fungi and so on and are bound up. There’s also a very active forest floor, constant deposition of leaf debris, the normal life cycle of plants and mosses and so on that would have provided a lot of coverage over the years and taken a lot of loose materials out of the environment.

The problem is these guys reportedly dug trenches and burned vegetation.

We are absolutely not outside the danger zone in terms of half-lives of those materials. Two of the most dangerous are close to that but not quite yet and others will be problematic for extremely long periods of time.

Chernobyl is also quite an unusual site as the entire contents of the reactor were effectively scattered around by a steam explosion and the design of the reactor is quite different to most current types in the sense that it uses a large graphite core as the moderator. Graphite (carbon) is flammable, and when it was exposed to air it reacted with oxygen and burned, that was the main vector for sending contamination into the atmosphere. It’s an unusual incident because the core was fully exposed. Fukushima, in contrast, never exposed the core, had a containment structure and had no flammable graphite involved.

Closer to the site, it’s very probable that there are all sorts of particles, dusts and so on scattered around that would have simply been ejected by the steam explosion. That could include plutonium, uranium and all sorts of very very nasty stuff.

It was cleaned up but it certainly wasn’t completely decontaminated, which is why it’s been an exclusion area for decades and will continue to be for a very long time.

Digging into that soil and spending time sitting in those trenches is very likely an EXTREMELY bad idea.

From a conflict point of view what shocks me is how they have behaved around this and other nuclear sites. It demonstrates that they have incredibly poor or non existent technical advice. Russia shouldn’t be short of nuclear engineering technical skills. Rosatom is one of the most experienced designers of nuclear power plants in the world, but obviously had absolutely zero input into advising the military.

Taking those kinds of risks at Chernobyl is just beyond belief and they were using explosives and shells at the active, modern VVER plant at Zaporizhzhia. That didn’t pose much risk from the reactors as they are in multiple layers of containment designed to survive missile strikes, but there are large amounts of spent fuel in ponds and dry storage units on the site that are very vulnerable and could have caused a major incident with serious regional consequences.

It just shows a total lack of expertise and technical information and probably very poor command structure and discipline.

We’re clearly looking at a military that’s a long, long way from its peak during the Soviet era.

It worries me because it’s not very rational or sensible behaviour for a major nuclear power.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭jmreire

Personally, while I would not rule it out 100%. I doubt very much that the Red Cross would attempt to smuggle anything other than what was on the approved list..Being caught would mean an immediate ban on all Red Cross activities, and possibly getting kicked out of the Country. And there were many in the Nazi party who would be in favor of that happening, as in many instances throughout history they were considered as spies.... and its not beyond the bounds of impossibility that some were indeed spy's. It would be naïve to think differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

What? All they ever seem to do is take videos of themselves shooting at buildings or other inanimate objects for social media. They're a running joke.

The Chechen wars against Russia were for the most party years ago. These guys have mostly been just throwing their weight around bullying the local population in Chechnya for Kadirov. They're not a real army. They pretend they are one for tik tok.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭jmreire

Seems a bit contrived. Strange the way they were laid out though, in straight lines....normally its a random pattern, and driving in a straight line would guarantee a hit. These mines were laid in straight lines, so the vehicle and trailer never touched them. Plus, if they were set weight wise as anti tank mines, would take more than a normal passenger car to set them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

That sounds like zero fun…. Especially if hungover… not my idea of a holiday activity

• Registered Users Posts: 13,890 ✭✭✭✭josip

Thats whats he is hoping for,if he doesnt have the russian people with him,he wont get anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I was having a few stomach issues before I went and was considering not going because there won't be many toilet option's. I came back and suddenly all of my issues were gone. Ukraine should market it as the new Lourdes 😄

• Advertisement

I wouldnt bet on that,Putin can easily turn this around in his propaganda as an attack on Russia.

You know how Putin love to play the victim

He still have 2/3 of Russia behind him

And no you wont see them in Ukraine most likely,you will probably see them sent to Russias western and eastern flanks,where Russia allready have taken reserves,and those experienced soldiers from there are being sent to Ukraine to join up with wagner group and start again.

I dont think this war is over yet

• Registered Users Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

The biggest thing the Russian people look for in Putin is bravery.

If he shows any weakness the people will loose faith in him and he knows it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭rogber

I think we know the answer to that: any opposition figures that gain momentum end up dead or in prison. That deters others. Then independent media are shut down. Doesn't leave much room for progress...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

lots of Russian military equipment entering the Donbass

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Is it true that the 'Z' on the Russian tanks stands for Zelensky?

Or... here's a thought... he was being sarcastic. 🙃

• Registered Users Posts: 16,345 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

From a conflict point of view what shocks me is how they have behaved around this and other nuclear sites. It demonstrates that they have incredibly poor or non existent technical advice. Russia shouldn’t be short of nuclear engineering technical skills. Rosatom is one of the most experienced designers of nuclear power plants in the world, but obviously had absolutely zero input into advising the military.

Taking those kinds of risks at Chernobyl is just beyond belief and they were using explosives and shells at the active, modern VVER plant at Zaporizhzhia. That didn’t pose much risk from the reactors as they are in multiple layers of containment designed to survive missile strikes, but there are large amounts of spent fuel in ponds and dry storage units on the site that are very vulnerable and could have caused a major incident with serious regional consequences.

It just shows a total lack of expertise and technical information and probably very poor command structure and discipline.

We’re clearly looking at a military that’s a long, long way from its peak during the Soviet era.

It worries me because it’s not very rational or sensible behaviour for a major nuclear power.

There's a great Catch 22-style novel to be written about this invasion, and unlike Joseph Heller the author would barely have to invent or even exxagerate anything...

Of course they are. Just have a look at their posting history!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,345 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement