Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saving/Applying for a mortgage 2020-22 Edition

Options

Comments

I note someone mentioned bonuses back the thread.

I have a guaranteed 10% bonus in my contract.

How would lenders assess this?

I have only been in my current role one year mind. I did have bonus income from my previous employer but it wouldn't have been as high.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Bonus guaranteed in your contract will be counted but think it will be average of past 3 years

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Some banks salary certs ask your employer if the bonus is guaranteed or not, if it is AIB told me they'd take my full bonus into account, mine isn't so they wanted to see me get it for 3 years and then they'd only take 50% of the amount. This was in 2018/9 though so might have changed since.

Yeah it's in my contract guaranteed 10% minimum.

The company is doing really well so it may be even more than 10%.

If the bank did take the full amount into consideration it would be a huge help to me.

Only started this job in January 2022 mind.

That said it will be Q1 2023 before I apply for mortgage approval.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

For me they asked for 3 years. Avant took the full amount as part of salary, but I had contract saying it is guaranteed and it was also shown on salary cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭Cork2021

When applying for a mortgage has anyone been told that if you’ve a car loan/pcp it’s a necessary expense and that isn’t used against what you can borrow?

one broker told me this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,287 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

The amount you can borrow is based on what you earn (central bank rules) and what you can afford (your savings, current rent/mortgage, other out goings etc etc). So the amount you’re spending on a car loan will factor in there. No question. If you can prove you can pay your mortgage with that, then you’re fine. A lot of people have car loans and they get mortgages

A car loan isn't a necessary expense, a car may be necessary but the loan certainly isn't in the eyes of the bank. It'll effect your ability to repay calculations by how much is completely up to your other finances.

Speaking of the car loan.

I have absolutely zero debt but I also don't have a credit rating as I have never needed to take out a loan.

Would this be an issue for a bank?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Having loans to build up your credit rating is an American thing. It doesn't help you in any way here.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,096 ✭✭✭✭rob316

What's the story with secondary income? So I have my full time salaried job but I'm also a director (non-shareholder) of another company that I am paid a directors fee from for the last 2 years. Can I use that income for a mortgage?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭tolow

Anyone here applying for a mortgage working as a contractor as a director of an umbrella company? If so how was the process.

Also, Has anyone a job that is 100% remote based? How was this viewed by the bank when applying?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I'm sure this has been asked before, but looking for up to date info on:

• what amount do banks like to see left over after mortgage repayments, loan payments etc. From memory it used to be 2100 for a couple plus 250 per child?
    • what rate do banks stress test mortgage payments at? Is it 2% above the rate you are applying for, or 2% above their standard variable rate?
    • Is it true that if you go for a 5 year fixed rate, stress tests like above do not apply?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I work 100% remotely. It only started as a result of the pandemic but has and will continue to be 100% remote. The bank wanted a letter from my employer to confirm that I could work 100% remotely going forward as we were buying a good distance away from 'the office' (not a commutable distance if I ever had to go back). Employer was happy to provide it and there were no issues once they had it.

bullet 1: this will depend hugely on bank and circumstances. for me as a single applicant to AIB in 2018 it was 2500.

bullet 2: it's 2 over their Standard variable rate (again this was AIB).

bullet 3: this kinda sounds like something a broker would say to get you "in the door".

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Regarding point 3, you could be right, but i've seen it mentioned elsewhere and it makes sense. If you're rate is fixed for 10 years, a stress test now on rate increases is kind of pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

Anybody on here use the crypto.com card for their day-to-day spending? Would banks look down on using it while also saving up for a mortgage?

I have a regular bank account (PTSB) and have my wages paid into this. I also pay rent from this and my savings account is also PTSB. Once rent and savings are done with for the month, I transfer my everyday spending onto the Crypto.com card and get 2% back in CRO on all my purchases.

I do buy a little bit of crypto (~€120pm) and some stocks but mainly have the card for the 2%.

Would the banks have any issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭theboringfox

How do people find BoI? Going to apply to them after they cut rates. Need to switch and get top up mortgage for extension so assuming the Avants and Fin Ireland crowds are a non runner

• Registered Users Posts: 6 teaandsnooker

Folks - waiting on AIP from Avant for 24 working days now - is this normal? We had one more info query about 3 weeks and nothing since. Just concerning now that it's so long

• Advertisement

question for you. Did you go through a broker or straight to Avant?

Can only go through a broker for avant.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

Avant only work through brokers. Was on the phone with them last week and that’s what they told me.

Exactly- we went through a broker - but it's taking way longer than they advertise - just wondering if other people are having the same experience

Thanks, as I talk of brokers, low quotes got onto me today. I mentioned yesterday about the car loan I have. They did mention that car loans aren’t frowned upon as often anymore, still are but see them as a necessary expense for some lenders. As I saw as well in previous posts, they could be just wanting my business and selling me a dud!

It’s driving me nuts!( mind the pun)

Might depend on the lender - and how they calculate your repayment ability. I get the impression avant are very cautious - but others aren't as particular

We’re not nowhere near ready to look for approval as we don’t have the savings for 6 months plus yet. Was asking to see what the craic would be when we might go for it. Our issue is we’ve personal loan of €511 and a car loan of €429 mortgage €405 a month(it’s small), they definitely won’t be gone if we try over the next two years. I got a bonus from work over the last week and cleared 2 small loans and our credit card balance as well.

Another question for anyone who has this issue.. herself works in childcare and is term time. For 8 weeks of the year she needs to sign on, is that 8 weeks of dole added to our gross salary earnings? Also why isn’t child benefit added in? We’ve a 1 and 3 year old guaranteed that €280 a month for another 15 years..

• Advertisement

I've a friend who has term dependent work - ebs were helpful.

Advertisement