Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB fraudulent transactions

Comments

The trouble is the banks aren't exactly tech savvy themselves. The AIB app for example is full of glitches and a disaster waiting to happen. They are pushing to get all interactions online knowing full well that they can't handle it.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭redmissb

Just to update everyone, my son had the funds refunded to his account today. He sent off his letter on Monday and has heard nothing from the the bank but the money was back in his account a few hours ago. He is incredibly relieved and knows how lucky he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Interesting. From the two cases mentioned here today it sounds to me like they know they may actually have a weakness somewhere in their processes and they can't 100% stand over all of the payments being authorised properly. That would tally with the posters saying they definitely didn't click on the push notifications despite AIB saying they did. If it was just a goodwill gesture they wouldn't do it so quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭kaymin

Banks outsource their card call centres and the call centres operate 24 hours a day.

A quick call and everything is sorted.

Meanwhile back in the real world.....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Every system deployed to production has glitches and security risks that is a given. There is always trade offs between the costs of improving security, the convenience of use, customer fraud, third party fraud, the credibility of the system and how much the bank is willing to loose. There is no goodwill, it is simply the cost of doing business and these costs are modeled into the business decisions.

Go on, enlighten us!

Personally I've never had difficulty getting through to the card call centre. They operate to fairly stringent KPIs such as call pick up delays, dropped calls etc

Are you talking about the lost/stolen card call number or the customer service number?

Because they are two different things. If you receive a fraudulent text message I don't think card services are what you're looking for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I found it frustrating when they changed the app to require the full 5-digit PAC, previously it would only ask for a random three digits. They were saying for years that they'd never ask for the full PAC and now it's being done "to improve security". If anything, it's less secure now.

I agree and it's a tough job to keep up with the scammers but in that instance your default response shouldn't be "it's your fault" if you haven't fully ruled out that one of the glitches or risks has been exploited. In terms of goodwill I don't mean that literally, it's just an umbrella term for a payment where you don't want to specifically admit you were wrong and/or devote time and resources to figuring out whether you were or not.

• Advertisement

The thread is about fraudulent card transactions so, yes, I'm referring to the card call number as that's who a cardholder needs to contact in the first instance if they have any concerns about their card.

Just to be clear we understand each other here, what number exactly are you referring to?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭HalfAndHalf

I got one of these fraud AIB texts yesterday. I don’t bank with AIB so thought I’d go through the process for the craic. If the OPs son did the same then the information provided is enough for full access to the account! Hardly AIBs fault!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Kalimah

All I can say is Jaysus! If you followed that through they'd have everything. I got the original text a couple of days ago. I bank with AIB but obviously didn't reply. I wonder would they send someone to pick up the card? Would be great to have the guards there to nab them!

Yeah, hard to see how AIB are responsible after giving all that info out. Especially as it’s to a URL of secure-ie-login.com!! AIB aren’t aware of any of this, why would they be!

The idea that they'd send an "AIB trained dispatch driver" out to collect one card should be a red flag but the damage is pretty much done at that stage. I have visions of a unit in AIB training up drivers to drive at high speed to collect these radioactive cards.

I have a family member working in an AIB branch, she has been there for 6 years but is now prepared to take any other job just to escape the stress and abuse she gets on a daily basis. People are coming in looking for help and are very frustrated. It's really escalated in the last few months. It's very unfair on the staff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Kalimah

I worked both in B of I branches in the 80s, and the call centre in the late 90s. It wasn't too bad then, but I'd hate to be in any kind of a role like that now. Staff have very little authority to do anything and as for a manager taking responsibility!!

I feel for her! These scams aren’t new, sure my 75 year old mother-in-law is all over it when she gets a text and is on the phone warning us and I work in IT security.

People have had every opportunity to educate themselves, bottom line, ignore any electronic comms from ‘your bank’ and call their customer services to check!

Sure if you’re stupid enough to fall for all of those webpages I posted, all from a dodgy AF website then you’ve only yourself to blame!

Its the rest of the customers that pay for their stupidity, the banks aren’t giving out free refunds, they’ll claw it back somehow!

• Advertisement

That isn't the text my son got and he didn't go through all those webpages or use a card reader. I didn't think anyone in my family would get caught out by a scam like that but I guess it can happen to the best of us if they catch you at the right time.

It doesn’t ask you to use a card reader. How do you know what text your son got, you didn’t have that information in the OP. Why not share it if it’s different, for everyone’s benefit. But I was say this, these texts are normally all the same, they get you to hand over the information they need to compromise your account.

He showed me the text he got? I don't have the screenshots to post and I think he said the link he clicked is dead now anyway. You just seem to be repeating yourself in your posts going on about how stupid people are to get caught out. Anyway I won't post anymore about it, I've updated the thread and thankfully it all worked out ok. Thanks to all who gave advice.

Because I’m not buying it. These scams are fundamentally identical, a text that leads to a fake website, give them all your details and away goes your money!

You said yourself in your OP that the text your son got had him click a link and enter his details!

I’ve said what annoys me, other customers have to pay for peoples stupidity! Do you think AIB have refunded him out of some magic pot? No, they’ll recoup the costs from every customer including those not giving their money away!

Unfortunately more and more people seem to think it’s everyone else’s responsibility to look after them and fix what they do wrong, and let them pay the price!

As someone said earlier, there's no way AIB just gave the lad 4000 euro out of the kindness of their heart. They either understand that they are someway liable for it or the money had never fully left the account.

This thread has followed the pattern of many on boards, OP asks for advice on an issue and soon all the 'perfect people' come tut tutting and wagging their fingers.

I'm glad the lad got sorted out and fair play to his Mum for going online to find out more about the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 yoyopfk

All those "wise guys" whistle blowers here, you know nothing.... At all!

To all guys scammed, stressed - don't hesitate talk about to everyone around and ask Gardai and official staff ( bank, revenue, welfare, etc ) for help. You will get it!

Take care!

Ah so you’re another person that can’t educate and protect themselves on the way of the world and expect everyone else to clean up your mess. Good to know 👍

And if it never left the account then that’s fine. I can’t write it any clearer - the attitude that everyone else should clean up a situation someone’s got themselves in when this has been going on for and banks have been educating everyone on for YEARS now just isn’t right!

THAT is my issue and I’ve said it numerous times now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭1874

Reading the whole thread, there are a few things I think need pointing out, which may be obvious to some of us (Im clearly now in an older generation).

1. Dont answer/reply/click on out of the blue links/any form of what might be best described as cold calling links, Dont do it.
    2. If verifying a contact or communication, look up the banks contact number separately and contact them by a different means, ie dont reply to the contact
    3. That said, there is no rush or urgency in replying to valid enquiries, and anything that puts the pressure on is clearly trying to put the pressure on,so be even more cautious.
    4. Have another or multiple other unconnected means to access payments or cash, such as a different debit card from a different organisation or simply have a credit card (I feel there is better protection there anyway) OR both AND/OR access to cash, and while I dont use a CC regularily, I mostly, possibly only use my Debit Card for known physical transactions at supermarkets/petrol stations etc.
    5. I think this could be a big one, DONT keep all your money in one account ie like your current account, or the account associated with or linked to your debit card. It seems to me that if someone does access that, they can only get the money from there, if you have the bare minimum in it (they usually give no or appalling interest), so why keep every cent you have in that account?? Id say dont keep everything you have in one account for security reasons, you could transfer money into it if required, and even have a Revolut (or similar) account/physical card for making transactions outside known established organisations, not sure if the thinking is correct, but I treat it like having layers of security, if someone does gain access to your revolut, then they can only take whats there, so like your Current Account, limit that amount to what you need.
    6. Its possible if someone clicks on links and provides enough information, then a scammer may be able to transfer funds from other accounts.

Big problems I see, are that people are used to clicking on links to do things, So they just persist with the same response unquestioningly. In my own experience, the Banks (well BoI for sure) has contacted me out of the blue OR in response to an enquiry AND then asked for verification information after effectively cold calling me, so it isn't the customers that just do it (although it is poor), while one arm of the bank is saying dont do a certain thing (like responding to out of the blue correspondence) In my experience at least, one Bank has done to me, the very thing they advise customers to not respond to, where they asked for security details, I have highlighted and complained about that,but got no response back on it.

Be cautious and treat communications with suspicion, if they are genuine, any communication shouldnt be so urgent to require a response immediately OR mean you couldnt simply locate a number for the bank or have them saved on your phone already (if only I was so organised) and contact them by a different means.

In a couple of instances, where I was 99% convinced I was being contacted (over the phone) by my Bank, where I was not 100% or just unhappy they were undermining their own advice and the sensible thing to do, I have insisted on a postal correspondence.

I'm astonished Banks (and other organisations) for which people have accounts, dont highlight postal correspondence with a reference number for each document sent, so you can even cross check through an online account when a hardcopy item has been sent so you know everything sent has been received, it would be a very simple thing to do imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,584 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Irish banks are terrible at stopping potential fraud - watching the consumer shows on the BBC etc the banks are responsible if they didn't take appropriate action when unusual activity was happening on an account

Been with KBC for many a year now and they actually prevented multiple attempted fraudulent transactions (and I'm careful where I even use my card). Play store etc - was probably a data breach

The phone companies are also remiss in their attitude to preventing number spoofing - it can be stopped but it's a case of only if we are told to spend money to do it

Of course all this requires some attempt from the users side as well - the scammers get away with it because they only need one vulnerable person in every 100 to make buck

In the OP's case they should have a good case where multiple transactions in quick succession were sent to a website that was not part of their normal spending habit unless of course there is more to this and they gave access to the bank account itself...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement