Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,465 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm torn between predicting the sass as a mask for lots of Inner Insecurity and drama, or excessive confidence requiring her to learn an Important Lesson about humility. The postage stamp windows definitely show her as the most potentially annoying all right, but I guess it'll depend on just how ensemble this turns out to be. Proper ensemble shows are quite rare these days I think.

Christ these 1 minute videos alone have shown more character and depth to the bridge crew, than 3 seasons of Discovery managed. LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Dr. M'Benga had only just joined the crew in the TOS episode he was in. McCoy literally says it in the dialogue.

Usual shyt of getting a reference half right from this lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭eadrom

Still looks kinda good tbh.

Here's hoping.

I wonder what odds I would get on there being a Sybok episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,786 ✭✭✭Evade

I think the Sarek family drama is played out enough by now and if I'm not mistaken Uhura didn't know Spock had a brother in STV. Not that a little thing like continuity would stop them though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

What I really like about the previews is the focus on the different crewmembers instead of a singular 'apocalyptic' threat to the galaxy. This gives me hope it'll give the crew more spotlight time and be a bit more of an ensemble show.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,047 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I like the look of the new sickbay but not so sure about engineering. Where us the warp core?

Also I wonder is that the Enterprise stranded on that planet or a different ship?

Would love to see them do a character video for the Enterprise. Not sure how but it could be awesome lol. She is after all a character too.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Laans look reminds me an awful lot of Camina Drummer

I would say engineering is trying to look like this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,465 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Nurse Chapel today; and looks like her + Spock might have a thing.

Also: I may be losing my mind but that laser sound was very Star Wars to me; like a Stormtrooper's blaster...

• Advertisement
    Ms

No I think your right about that laser sound sounding very Star Wars like.

Nice trailer do so there is even humour in this show lovely.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Just a little casual genetic engineering it's not like it's extremely illegal or anything.

The weapon sounds a little like a Klingon disruptor to me.

Yeah, but without knowing, that was Singh she did that on, so what's the bet that's the episode where her past comes out; Chapel goes to do the work and she's like "huh, your genome already shows signs of fiddling" or somesuch.

Everyone and Spock has a thing it seems. Even Dax wanted to ride him.

And another; ok so they obviously come out in twos each day.

Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

Una today aka The first officer but I am sure most in here knew that. I did not untill its said in the trailer. I was like Una who is she.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Looks like Pike's fate will figure in the series anyway; makes sense, given the last time we met him Pike had his future thrown in his face.

Despite the time crystal mcguffin that was one of the few great scenes of Discovery. That sacrifice really added to the strength of that character.

Man, they are pumping out the trailers for this; the fun, excitable energy coming off this is really doing a number on my ability to hold back the hype. Pike seems a touch lighter than his Disco appearance but ... yeah. I'm straight up eager to watch this now.

I know the quippy stuff might eventually grate and isn't everyone's cuppa but damn if this mightn't yet be the antidote to all that dour, burdened drama of the other two shows.

• Advertisement

I'm trying not to nitpick too much but the Enterprise shouldn't be able to hover in the atmosphere of a planet like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,601 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Oh I am really looking forward to this.

Is that The Tzenkethi?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,506 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Well I think I know more character names and more about them from those really short little trailers than I do about the crew of Discovery after numerous seasons, except Michael of course

Maybe it was me but I got the distinct feeling this is more about ST:TOS style - something about it being more fun, relaxed, not serious....

Can't wait for it to drop - looks like it's gonna be a fun ride

• Registered Users Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭corkie

Enterprise shouldn't be able to hover in the atmosphere

Why not?

TV Budget of syndicated TV.

The original plan for even TOS was for the starship to land at the planet every episode. But that cost way too much money. So they invented the Transporter to save money. Fun Behind the Scenes fact.

But you said hover, and not the ability to enter the atmosphere.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskScienceFiction/comments/3mc38n/star_trek_are_any_of_the_enterprises_capable_of/

https://www.reddit.com/r/startrek/comments/glyke7/why_cant_the_enterprise_enter_a_planets_atmosphere/

Because it's been stated before that it can't land but if it can do a stable hover like that once you get close enough to the ground you've effectively landed. Then that brings up why any of the times the transporters were out and shuttles were too fragile you don't just put the ship into a hover a few meters off the ground and drop a ladder.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭flazio

It can't land because it doesn't have any support struts to keep it upright. Shuttles and runabouts enter and leave atmospheres all the time, as long as the procedure that kicks in when Intrepid class (Voyager) wanted to land (blue alert) then entering atmosphere should be OK.

The atmosphere shot is definitely pitching for Cool over what's established and possible with the ships. But then. Wasn't the Enterprise floating around the clouds in that TOS episode set in the 60s, whose name I can't recall? Hence why the fighter pilot was nabbed when he got close to the "UFO".

Exactly the episode which came to mind, for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,060 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I am loving the angle they are taking with their promos. My only quibble would be just the informal nature of that character with the British accent. (I intentionally have not looked up too much info on this so don't know her name). That "Oh you're fun" line. It's not too bad but just an observation. But so far, yeah, I'm loving what I'm seeing (lol at Number One's name).

It's interesting that they went straight into Pike's vision from Discovery. (I know that has been mentioned here before). Say what you want about Discovery, at least it gave us this. Pike, Spock and even the tiny scenes that Number One had in Discovery knocked it out of the park for me.

Advertisement