Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭MOR316

I said I was just leaving it there. I have no interest in engaging with you otherwise.

Enjoy your weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

This is complicated, I suspect hospitals aren't police states where everyone has to wear proper masks correctly. My limited experience in hospitals in 2022 is that many do wear effective masks correctly but they are rough when you have an 8 hour shift. Also, people who are working but test positive can stay at home while patients who need treatment for other issues, don't have the same option.

Also most healthcare workers are human like the rest of us and are tired of this pandemic.

The religion of the mask. Alright..that sounds so over the top, it seems like hysteria. And lumping "masks" together as though they do the same thing is ludicrous. Again I point to Germany's lack of covid cases by using FFP2 masks.

Everybody knows they were a nuisance and a restriction. Especially the useless bits of plastic that some hung around their heads.

The reality is that the current "rules" amount to nothing and it's too late to change the outcome. Mandatory rules now will only protect hospitals in a couple of weeks. The rules don't need to be changed.

Anyone with half a brain will see this as a retrospective justification for screaming "freedom matters more". Remove the laws and restrictions, and still people spout shite

• Advertisement

What's your masterplan to end this pandemic so?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Germany have had 3.13 million recorded cases in the past fortnight. Equivalent to approximately 200k here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I think the majority of people will have known they've been free the entire time...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Ah yes, free. Unless you wanted to go more than 2km from your house, maintain social relationships, start new social relationships, participate in sports, go to your place of work, earn a living, leave the country.

Free the entire time...

What a disgusting attitude

People have been "free" to do all of those for a long time now - what are these mysterious shackles that boardsies are still waiting to cast off?

Posters blether on about how some people have become mentally unhinged worrying about masks etc. - much more prevalent (on here, at least) seem to be those who have honed their victim complexes and erected themselves a "perpetually oppressed" pedestal that they are keen to stay atop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭kieran26

You said the entire time, not for a 'long time now'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

The biggest irony I have witnessed throughout all of this is the fact that for two years the do-gooders worshipped Sir Tony and his public health advice, then the minute it doesn’t suit their agenda they’re saying it’s wrong. That to me is absolutely incredible. It’s also worrying, embarrassing, shameful, etc.

I did. And other posters claim we're still not free - and then proceed to cite restrictions from ages ago.

I still felt free (albeit greatly inconvenienced by the virus) even during the restrictions we did have, but I guess that could be subjective and depend on one's definition of freedom.

You said the entire time, now you're deflecting, nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,399 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I wouldn't say that people are hoping to get Covid but I know several people that were very relieved to get it and get it over with. They said they no longer had to worry about isolation or close contact rules etc etc.

Obviously most of these people got it mild and recovered quickly. Families don't seem to be locking the 'sick one' away anymore either which suggests they are happy to let it circulate around the house. The level of natural immunity in Ireland must be very high now too.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Dunno

The medical unions calling for masks and wfh

Wtf was that ?

Not deflecting. But by all means continue to justify your claims of current oppression by reference to restrictions that were in place many months ago.

As bad as those who lambasted Tony throughout, and then the minute it suits their agenda they're saying he's right?

Incredible, worrying, embarrassing, shameful, etc, indeed..

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

But isn't that the exact same thing the "not do-gooders" were doing, in reverse? When Tony was recommending restrictions and changes, they were screaming about how dangerous and wrong he was. But now that he's on the "no restrictions" wagon, sure isn't he great?

• Advertisement

Personally, I don't have a single good word to say about Tony or NPHET.

I'm pretty sure even they got to a stage were they realised it was lockdown until the money runs out or get on with it.

They know none of the silly restrictions will do anything at this point.

They just introduced the vaccines and the significantly more transmissible and less dangerous variant as cover.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I do not like Holohan.I agreed with some of what he said ,but I thought the measures implemented were too restrictive for too long, he was unwilling to try any other combination of approaches, and many sections if society were left by the wayside by his "cautious" approach.

I don't think he is great now either.At best, I think it has taken him 2 years to to realise that we have to live with this thing - really live with it, not duck and dodge it.

I also seriously wonder how much Trinity offered him to entice him away from that civil service role and pension he is in, or is he is taking leave of absence to go try out the Trinity role.

But I am glad to see him go and I sincerely hope we have no need to be seeing any CMO front and centre of the news every single day again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Another nice little drop in hospital this morning, 1535 down to 1472.

I never once made a claim of current oppression. You're an absolutely dreadful poster, you'll make anything up to suit an argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

All suggesting that the media drama from earlier this week was quite unwarranted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭crossman47

These restrictions were not silly when they were needed. People should still be careful. This is a really nasty virus even if you are fully vaccinated. I know many get it as a slight cold but a friend has described it to me as a really bad flu.

For what its worth, I'm going to wear a mask in crowded settings when the next bad flu season starts. I know I'll get funny looks but they are now available and can be a useful protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭MOR316

Big difference is, those people and myself never changed position. We had our views and stuck to them. We are not calling Tony Holohan a hero

Where as the others are shamelessly changing theirs from their original, "We love you Tony! Tony is right!" stances to "Tony is wrong! Tony is evil! Government are evil to get rid of NPHET even though Tony Holohan is still CMO and the Government are going by his advice, like they always have but, we're too thick to understand that" stances

I mean, we had some person on here, eat their Christmas Dinner at the window, to see who and how many were going into their neighbours' houses because Tony said they shouldn't be.

To put it into context how Joey Tribbiani some people are...

CMO and Government: "Advice is still there to wear your mask on public transport and in crowded indoor settings"

People: "Waaaaaahhhh we need leadership! Tell us what to do"

Government and CMO: "We just did. You're free to wear a mask if you wish"

People: "Waaaaaahhhh I don't want a choice, make me wear one! Lead me!!"

It's like some sort of suppressed sexual fantasy people have.

Appalling ****

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Down 140 in two days, nearly 10%. Every reason to think there'll be another decent drop today too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

I'm so glad that covid is finally over, and that NPHET are finally out of our lives.

King Tony & Mehole have a lot to answer for... they needlessly restricted our lives and the economy... we'll be paying for this for years.

I will admit that I'm glad that Tony & Mehole stuck to their guns in the face of the media onslaught this week, but that doesn't redeem them or make them angels, they let this shít drag on for way too long.

I don't believe they stuck to their guns for the good of the country, I believe instead they didn't want to be seen to have made a bad decision a few weeks ago, so they were just ass covering.

Yes, it's finished, but we got royally fúcked over by the government along the way.... I mean, if nothing else, what about the keystone cops dancing at empty beauty spots that were illegal for us mere mortal taxpayers to visit, you know, the people who pay their fúcking wages 🙄

Anyway, upwards and onwards, here's to being able to breathe on random peeps on the street again!

Post edited by DLink on

Advertisement