Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you buy Russian Fuel if it was cheaper?

• 31-03-2022 9:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Well would you?

Would you buy Russian Fuel if it was cheaper? 309 votes

No. Not with what's happening in Ukraine.
    63% 197 votes
    Maybe if it was much cheaper.
    6% 19 votes
    Yes. Don't care.
    23% 74 votes
    Would try to avoid but maybe.
    6% 19 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 665 CMod ✭✭✭✭LIGHTNING

Lol its OK thought folks we can keep getting our oil from the lovely countries like Saudi where its a Utopia with no civil right violations left right and center.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I think we all know if we give it much thought at all that we deal with a lot of countries where civil and human rights are not guaranteed to citizens.

However one despotic regime at a time, if expensive fuel is the price of helping Ukraine I'll pay it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

If it goes any higher I don't care where I get it from. At the current rate it's going I'll be on green diesel by the end of next month and not two **** will be given, I've to provide, I ain't working for free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I don't care where fuel comes from or what that country is up too. Honestly I don't care whats happening in Ukraine, if accepting Russian oil will bring down the cost at the then I'll all for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

As it is we don't know which companies are still importing from Russia. I guess they won't volunteer the information.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Where's your engine oil coming from?

All the plastics you use... Where's that oil coming from?

Ink Floor Wax Ballpoint Pens Football Cleats

Upholstery Sweaters Boats Insecticides

Bicycle Tires Sports Car Bodies Nail Polish Fishing lures

Dresses Tires Golf Bags Perfumes

Cassettes Dishwasher parts Tool Boxes Shoe Polish

Motorcycle Helmet Caulking Petroleum Jelly Transparent Tape

CD Player Faucet Washers Antiseptics Clothesline

Curtains Food Preservatives Basketballs Soap

Vitamin Capsules Antihistamines Purses Shoes

Dashboards Cortisone Deodorant Shoelace Aglets

Putty Dyes Panty Hose Refrigerant

Percolators Life Jackets Rubbing Alcohol Linings

Skis TV Cabinets Shag Rugs Electrician’s Tape

Tool Racks Car Battery Cases Epoxy Paint

Mops Slacks Insect Repellent Oil Filters

Umbrellas Yarn Fertilizers Hair Coloring

Roofing Toilet Seats Fishing Rods Lipstick

Denture Adhesive Linoleum Ice Cube Trays Synthetic Rubber

Speakers Plastic Wood Electric Blankets Glycerin

Tennis Rackets Rubber Cement Fishing Boots Dice

Nylon Rope Candles Trash Bags House Paint

Water Pipes Hand Lotion Roller Skates Surf Boards

Shampoo Wheels Paint Rollers Shower Curtains

Guitar Strings Luggage Aspirin Safety Glasses

Antifreeze Football Helmets Awnings Eyeglasses

Clothes Toothbrushes Ice Chests Footballs

Combs CD’s & DVD’s Paint Brushes Detergents

Vaporizers Balloons Sun Glasses Tents

Heart Valves Crayons Parachutes Telephones

Enamel Pillows Dishes Cameras

Anesthetics Artificial Turf Artificial limbs Bandages

Dentures Model Cars Folding Doors Hair Curlers

Cold cream Movie film Soft Contact lenses Drinking Cups

Fan Belts Car Enamel Shaving Cream Ammonia

Refrigerators Golf Balls Toothpaste

Stop buying all that stuff. Cos you know what. Its probably coming from Russian oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

I could lie and say no like the majority that voted no but at the end of the day no one would be able to tell where you bought the oil from, so if both were put in front of you with the same quality, you will pick the cheapest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Only if the media says its OK.

the big oil producing countries happen to be dictatorships for a reason

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭patnor1011

This show you level of brainwashing which currently goes on. Complex issue which is beyond the grasp of simple minded people gets reduced to "fuel from russia" and its price.

The USA is ramping up imports from Russia pretty much daily and why not? It is coming at discount at the moment and they still can sell it to the EU and make a killing. In the meantime Germany is finalizing ruble paying mechanism since they know that if oil or gas stop it is a end of a party for everyone. Those who are foolish enough to try and refuse to pay for it will have contracts voided and can forget about lucrative prices of the past. They will get it eventually, perhaps even from Germany but that will come at a quite different price.

Oh, Saudis are in to make a quick buck too as they politely informed us that price will go up there too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Truthfully I wouldn’t. I would pay more. I want Europe free of any vulnerability to blackmail by Vlad Putrid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

So you'd pay more to get fuel from a country with ethics and morals?

Name the country youd get it from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭honda boi

Yep I don't care. I'd buy from anywhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Couldn't care, the alternatives are the like of Saudi Arabia and Iran.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

New Zealand :-)

But we export our oil and coal and import other oil and coal from questionable countries to use for fuel, go figure.

We do at least use a lot of the gas we produce ourselves

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Irish_wolf

IF I had the choice no I wouldn't, nor would I buy from any country that has such a disregard for human life. Unfortunately that is not currently possible, nor will it be any time soon. I'd love to have an EV car running on home-grown wind and solar power topped up with a little gas from Corrib or Kinsale or imported nuclear power. That's the way Europe is going and hopefully the situation in Ukraine/Russia will accelerate that process. However I'm in a good position financially to be picky with my consumption, not everyone is and I wouldn't judge them for it. Where possible I will buy ethically sourced* products over cheaper alternatives. Things like coffee beans and chocolate I try and avoid unless I can get good info on the origin, difficult on chocolate but not impossible. I avoid products with palm oil when I can and I don't buy cheap plastic crap. If I could do the same with oil I would. Treating your workers/people like human beings is expensive and therefore makes the product expensive. But I'm a sucker for treating people with respect and dignity even if I don't know them so I try my best.

*In so far as I can I will always check products for their ingredients and sustainability, ethic sources etc. and try and make an informed choice on the information available. Things like breakfast tea are harder to track for some reason so I just buy what I like from any rainforest aligned companies, also a friend of mine is a coeliac so if I am cooking food for her the choice is already limited so I just the buy products I know wont cause her any distress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Would like to say I wouldn't, but the amount of stuff I buy from China and they do a lot of scummy stuff, bit inconsistent/hypocritical.

No one can tell how they voted! Why would they 'lie' in a vote. Pity we can't tell where its coming from and I guess we won't find out because it would affect sales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You just don't get it, it's not about affecting sales. It's about human dependency. People need oil to fuel their cars, heat their homes and thousands of other things in their daily lives that the woke people don't read or know about. Nearly everything we make has some traces of oil in it.

It's ironic that the woke people taking the moral high ground by talking about not using Russian oil are on boards.ie which is hosted in a number of big data centres around the world that are powered by electricity which is turn probably comes from oil that might be supplied by Russia. Are these morally concerned people going to boycott the internet? What about the phone or tablet they are posting from, where do the components come from, maybe a live in factory in China or the lithium mines in Africa where the battery components comes from? Are people going to be outraged and never use a smart phone or tablet again? Then how would these people express their superior moral values to the rest of the world? What about the cloths on your back, probably came from a child labour sweat shop in Sri Lanka or Bangladesh. But non of that is relevant in today's news so the woke generation don't see it.

I don’t remember using words like ethics and morals?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭thefallingman

Price is king

We do business with lots of unsavoury leaders but once someone threatens nuclear war it’s a whole new ball game. Mad Vlad has attacked a free European country with an interest in joining the EU and he was on the brink of starting WW3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

The hydrocarbons used in road vehicles generally comes from despotisms (the material batteries in electric cars tend to have equally stodgy origins). The Saudis wage savage war is southern Yemen which has already claimed many civilian lives directly and indirectly from starvation and disease. Russian aggression in Ukraine would still have a depth to sink before it matches the Yemen. That's without considering the domestic angle in KSA. If I had the salaries and expenses of politicians (who are responsible via excise for most of the price) and RTÉ people, I too would be as holy and pious as them, so yes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Brainwashing 🙄 almost none of this is right

The US has banned the import of Russian oil and gas. Now US traders can buy and sell this within Europe, but they would be opening themselves up to sanctions risk. Hell, when someone like Mercuria stops all Russian oil purchases then you know it is serious. But also, why would anyone in Europe do this instead of just buying from the Russian entities that they are allowed buy from directly?

Germany is not finalising payment in rubles, there is a fudge being organised _by Russia_ to pay in USD/Eur into Gazprombank who will do the conversion. Also gas contracts aren't fixed price, so the "lucrative prices of the past" are already well gone.

You don't appear to have much understanding of the oil&gas markets or how sanctions affect them.

Don't see them volunteering about the source. Why? Of course it's about sales.

Rubbish.

It has already been explained to you in both this thread and the €2 a litre thread. I'm no longer engaging in these strawman arguments that you seem to bring to every thread you post in.

Some here promote a narrative that people will only buy on price. Not so and the poll indicates otherwise. Many perhaps the majority here wouldn't choose Russian fuel if they have a choice.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If you have natural gas you have no say in where it comes from. (very roughly a third each of Irish from the Corrib, Scotland and Norway via Scotland)

AFAIK petrol / diesel / oil for this country is usually bought in Rotterdam. All brands. Some may blend it further or use additives but 99% of it is based on the price on the day over there. The big brands buy from each other and the small brands buy from everyone.

The Netherlands, Australia and Vietnam have all moved 10% of electrical production from fossil fuel to renewables since lockdown began.

At some point the cost of making tax-free fuel using solar power will be less than the cost of taxed fuel here. The Saudi's have been investing their oil money for decades so they don't care about the cost of oil as long as the business they have invested aren't short of power.

The 30% in the poll aren’t team players. I wouldn’t trust them with much.

If it comes with stopping Putin with higher oil prices or nuclear war I know the choice I'd make.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Easy choice. There'd be higher oil prices anyway during a nuclear winter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I still can't figure out why the price of fuel is so high, when the barrel of oil is so low????????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I think everyone is making money, and charging crazy prices as the have excuses like wars to do so, but in fact there is no reason for high prices of fuel, or gas or electric in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i originally voted Yes,I don't Care but after seeing the reports of ethnic cleansing that going on over there i say now - Mr Putin you can stick your fuel up your Jacksey!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭pcardin

says the kremlins bot while sucking hard on Vlads dick lol. И я говорю пошел нахуй!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Nail on the head. Price of energy and fuel increased several times before any tension in ukraine even started not to mention current war over there. There was no price increase or any stoppage in deliveries up until very recently yet price was climbing before that. It was pure scam and war is just convenient excuse to pin blame on. Sure, price climbs and shortages appear now but it is of our own doing because of sanctions imposed. Also ukraine increased transit fees recently for about 30% and that can account for some of the price rise too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Another opportunity for people to display their fake outrage when they know themselves that they’d grab the cheaper fuel option like everyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

If I knew which fuel was coming from Russia, I would not buy it. Sure, countries like Saudi and Iran are problematic for many reasons, but they are not the ones currently levelling cities and committing war crimes.

I don't need fuel for work or anything else - driving a car is purely a luxury for me, so I am in a position to make such compromises. I know not everyone is in the same boat.

I cycled to work for the first time in years a couple of weeks ago. Rising energy costs were certainly an influence on actually getting the bike out.

• Advertisement

The Saudis are levelling cities and committing war crimes in Yemen and have been for the best part of the last decade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Thats the trouble with consistent high prices, people get accustomed to paying it and the suppliers are slow to drop the prices and give up profit.

there is a market for cheaper fuel. There has been a run on petrol and Diesel in the Alsace region of France as the French Government reduced the taxes by 18 cent per litre and Germans are travelling across the Rhine to fill up. 18cent x 60 litre fuel tank equals a lot of Würstchen.

I did my bit for the War effort. I bought a litre of Whiskey as a gift a few weeks ago instead of Vodka. We'll show our support for Ukraine one shot-glass at a time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

That is not the question asked here. If you knew, which one was which. Would you pay extra for not buying Russian?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

There is little point in having a poll if posters are going to come on and cast doubt on the integrity of those who voted the opposite way to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

is there any oil in Ireland? has anyone ever prospect for it??😶

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭growleaves

It may be a hidden poll but Zelenskiiy is like Santa Claus, he knows if you've been good or bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭mikeecho

The crude that diesel is processed from comes from everywhere into various refineries across Europe, and is then processed and shipped out to various countries.

The diesel at your local station could be Russian today, African next week, and from the Emirates or the North Sea or Norway after that, or any mixture of the above.

Those same refineries also process the oil to make chemicals and plastics, Russian oil just isn't about running your car.

Unless there is a Europe wide ban on russian crude or processed diesel, you will never know how much Russian is in your tank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

A day without electricity and people would change their tune pretty quickly

• Advertisement
Advertisement