Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,206 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Trump took all of his WH photographer's photos and merchandized them for himself. A departure from norm where the WH Photographer ordinarily is given the privilege to self-publish their work after the Presidents term. The WH Photographer is apolitical.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Detritus70

Every single detail one ever hears about Trump just shows what a shabby, greedy, conniving, money-grubbing, odious little toad he is.

I cannot respect anyone who supports that slimeball.

"I'm not a Trump supporter, but..." is the new "I'm not a racist, but...".

I think a lot of people supported his policies and conviction but not necessarily the man's personality itself. A means to an end.

Example: Churchill - a horrible, bigoted failure of a man based on his record, but you have to give him his dues for his leadership and rallying qualities during WW2.

It's possible to hold conflicting beliefs. In fact it's necessary in modern politics given how binary everything is.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

What actual policies that were Donald Trumps did they support?

The only thing he actually did was pass the massive tax cuts , which frankly any other GOP President would have done.

The only unique things about Donald Trump are his odious character and self-serving actions.

I simply can't accept the idea that there are those that that support Trump on matters of policy such that they are willing to set aside ALL of his other awful attributes. There's no reason to do that.

Someone interested in "Policy" could get all of those from a generic Republican leader without having to accept Trumps utterly appalling behaviours and actions.

If they still support Trump then they like what they see , not Policy - The Man himself.

And exactly that attitude is why there are people like Hitler and Putin.

And just look at Orban, they're about to vote that sh*thead back into office.

I regard that as humanities greatest failure, voting for assholes because "reasons".

And mostly those reasons are because they gave the people a scapegoat, someone to hate. Spite and malice are potent motivators.

Maybe in 2016 people voted for him because he was unorthodox. But in 2020 the only reason to vote for him is because he is a sh*t human being

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

He "triggers the left". What more policy does he or half the GOP need other than that to get elected?

I'll give you one actual policy - enforcing Border Control. True, the Democrats successfully did everything they could to stop the wall being built because they want illegal immigrants. Fair play to them. But he was the only president who gave it an honest crack at eliminating illegal immigration. You asked for policies, I'll give you this one for now and we can see how disingenuously you pick it apart.

So that's one policy. That doesn't mean he is a perfect human being, but for people who believes in LEGAL immigration through LEGAL ports of entry, they might look at Trump as the only politician willing to properly enforce the laws already in place. Does that mean they support every single utterance or action by the man? Only a fool or a liar would think that.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,442 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

that wasn't a policy that was bluster to get his supporters riled up. tell me how that wall went? how long is it now? Did Mexico pay for it?

You seem to have a child-like view of Trump and Orban. Do you really try and understand why people vote for them or do you just make your judgment and then throw it down from your high horse?

If I love my country, does that mean I hate everyone not from my country? That is the key to understanding why people vote for Trump or Orban. People feel threatened on the right in the US. What were once Democrat talking points in the 90's and 00's on things like border control or gay marriage, would now be considered far right white nationalist agendas nowadays. The culture war has been overwhelmingly won by the so-called liberal left. It's over pretty much. But rather than enjoying their victory the left are running around shutting down voices, censoring, cancelling people wherever they can. The media is almost exclusively run by left leaning idealogues. Example: the media silence on Hunter Biden until this week. If it was Trump's son, they would have been talking non-stop about if for months.

I regard that as humanities greatest failure, voting for assholes because "reasons".

And mostly those reasons are because they gave the people a scapegoat, someone to hate. Spite and malice are potent motivators.

"Reasons" - do you think there might be other reasons? Do you think any of them might possibly be valid at all? I'd love you to name one.

• Advertisement

Hunter didn't have a position in the White House. Trumps children did. and the same nonsense about cancelling. Playing the victim. It is no wonder you like trump.

I was asked to provide an example of a policy that people liked. It's not about how successful it was. It's very difficult to build something when you have such fierce resistance to it from the Democrats. Far easier to spoil and frustrate and obstruct at every turn. It's what the Democrats do best these days.

a policy in 2016 which might explain why people voted for him. it doesn't explain why people voted for him in 2020 after he showed himself to be a failure. we are still waiting to see his health plan that was just 2 weeks away 5 years ago.

It's good that people voted in a competent leader in the prime of his health like Joe Biden then right?

I mean Afghanistan was superbly handled and was in no way a historic embarrassment. And Putin clearly fears and respects a worthy adversary in Joe. When he isn't have drool wiped from his mouth that is.

It was a policy - his immigration policy. The wall was just part of the policy, albeit a big part.

and it failed miserably. like everything else the man touches.

it beats having a lapdog and a traitor in the White House.

In what way did it fail? Because there are more illegal immigrants crossing the border than ever? Do you see that as a good thing?

Also - if it failed, was that because of Trump or because of Democrat obstruction?

it did fail. there is no wall. Mexico did not pay for it. And he had a majority in both houses for 2 years and still couldn't get it done. He boasts that he is the great deal maker and still couldn't achieve anything with a majority.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Christy42

Fox news is one of the most watched stations. That isn't left wing. Most stations have been very very critical of Biden over gas prices in spite of it being a world wide issue. They have been on about it for months. Wasn't the laptop in possession of someone right wing at some stage so I presumed that should have wrapped it up? Honestly from my view many seem to call anything that doesn't agree with the far right a left leaning station. You talk about border control being seen as far right but there is still border control, you know that right? Remember the E-Mails, the E-Mails!!!!!!!! Non stop coverage over a complete "nothing burger".

Trump's sons were heavily involved in Trump's administration because well nepotism and so generated more air time. As for why people vote for him I really can't figure it. Even if you want to avoid voting for a "left" wing candidate like Biden at least get a somewhat decent candidate from the primaries. The man made an official statement that he made a hole in 1. Child like is a good description for him. You gave out about censoring people and cancelling but mention people voting for Orban who has put incredibly heavy restrictions on dissenting voices in the Hungarian press so I find it hard to see consistency in what you want.

• Advertisement

It is the reality. Trump failed as he does with most things.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭BattleCorp1

The culture war has been overwhelmingly won by the so-called liberal left. It's over pretty much. But rather than enjoying their victory the left are running around shutting down voices, censoring, cancelling people wherever they can. The media is almost exclusively run by left leaning idealogues. 

Just a point on the above statement. The left carrying on like that is going to ensure that we aren't finished with Trump/Trump-like figures. The pendulum swings both ways. The more the left go around trying to shut out opposing opinions, the more the likelihood of a kick-back towards Trump-like politics.

You make me laugh with your complex and rigorous analysis there. Trump is a lapdog and a traitor? For working with Putin to smash the Isis caliphate? What a.......monster?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,716 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Firstly, I am happy to debate policy.

"I'll give you one actual policy - enforcing Border Control. True, the Democrats successfully did everything they could to stop the wall being built"

Hang on - Trump had the White House, the House and the Senate. He didn't get it done. It was nothing to do with the democrats stopping him. He said Mexico was going to pay for it. They didn't. The wall was a shambles. It did not stop people coming into the country. It did not work. They are not opinions. They are fact.

"(The democrats) want illegal immigrants."

That's not true either. Obama had a stop and track policy which worked. The stats show it did. Trump's change in policy didn't work. They again are facts.

You can say that Trump wanted to stop illegal immigration. But his policies didn't work. Where's your criticism of him, as opposed to having a go at Democrats for his incompetency?

He employed illegal immigrants himself. How do you circle that square?

Putins lapdog, yes. have you seen them together? it was quite clear who was in charge of that relationship. Kompromat will do that.

Definitely a fair point that he had both houses for 2 years. My memory of it is that they made some progress on it but given how big a project it was, it needed a lot more than 2 years to design, plan and begin construction on something that big (essentially half the length of America). As for how effective it is, there was one hilarious incident with the reporter Jim Acosta where he showed up at a stretch of newly constructed wall, attempting to show it doesn't work but inadvertently proving it's effectiveness. There was a calm scene, nobody around. Law. Order.

Tell me, if Trump proposed a stop and track policy, how do you think Democrats would respond to that? In all honesty, they would be linking it to slavery no doubt.

His policies didn't work because his personality was such that he could not make a deal with the Democrats. I get that they cannot be seen to be working constructively with him, since they built him up to be literally Hitler. The Democrats were as obstructive to him as the Republicans were to Obama initially. Just disgusting. Where I would criticise him is the braggadocio around getting "Mexico to pay" for it. Fantasy land stuff. He is not without fault, absolutely. But people voted as much for his policies, and to go against Hillary, and less so because they endorsed every facet of his personality.

In your imagination maybe. And tell me, how did that manifest itself in the real world. What tangible benefit did Russia gain or America lose from Trump supposedly being Putin's lapdog? Maybe just the biggest example, you don't have to go into too much detail.

• Advertisement

One part of trump immigration policy that was successful was reducing the number of legal immigration including those applying for highly skilled visas and company transfers. he also reduced the number of serving military getting citizenship. a winning policy all round I'm sure you will agree.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement