Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

It's a rubbish time for a throw-in, but it has been that way for division four for a while.

I have a fair tolerance for listening to podcasts about GAA, but even I have my limits. I remember when someone posted a link to the last JMac podcast with Tynan and I had to turn it off after about 5 minutes. Fair play to you going back for me.

It isn't sour grapes because Cavan are in it, but the GAA does a woeful job in creating some fuss about lower league football. There is so much they could do to promote football outside of division one, but there appears to be zero appetite to do so.

U20s game is on Beo Sports tonight for those who can't make it to Iniskeen (like myself). Tough ask, but surely we are due a bit of luck at this level. C'mon Cavan!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Just read the Independent preview there and it had a few paragraphs about Tipp and their slow start and then a minimal mention of Cavan at the end. And the GAA say the Tailteann Cup will receive respect...

Wooly was quite vocal on The GAA Hour last year re how Cavan and Tipp should be ashamed of themselves for being relegated because they would be denying proper lower level Div 4 level teams the ability to have something to play for next year. He also declared Cavan the clear winners of the Tailteann Cup on one podcast too!

I watched the full JMac podcast because I did enjoy some of his other content - interviews namely. However, parts of it were a tough watch. I got the impression from Tynan that he hadn't even attended any of Cavan's matches but is now jumping on the bandwagon to Croker. He did famously complete the Leitrim preview before announcing at the end that he wouldn't be travelling to the match! McMahon didn't seem to have a great knowledge of the matches himself so I would have doubts re how many he attended.

They did spend about a half an hour on the club scene but I don't know why they reduced themselves to running down referee Pat Clarke - what's worse is I would have expected that crap from Tynan but McMahon was actually encouraging him. It's hard enough to get managers in the county at the moment and they'll know all about it in years to come when their young children grow older and the county board are saying juvenile teams are playing less games because we can't get referees.

They then read a list of the new club managers verbatim off a list on Hogan Stand forum and hadn't even bothered to research the clubs whose managers were not listed there. The critical analysis of the club managers amounted to ''well I worked with him in the bank, he's a good fella'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Someone in the county needs to look at scheduling. I know there are alot of games to get in but you've a Div 2 game on tonight and then also hurling championship. Not to mention a full schedule of minor League games at 6 and 6.30.

Tomorrow there are U12 girls games on smack bang in the middle of when Cavan are playing in Croke Park. If any county team is playing from minor up, I think all games should be cancelled for during that time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭celt262

Well the men's board have games planned for every Saturday at 1 for the next seven to eight weeks for U13s including the Saturday we are due to plan Antrim at 2. It also wasn't the ladies set Minor League games for 6 this evening when the U20s play at 8.

Well i'm sure them U13 games on the day of the Antrim game will be moved closer to the time. Bad form with the clash this evening though.

It's usually left up to the clubs to move them if they both agree but then you need to check with referees as well if a move suits them.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Breifne Blue

As bad as the non existent media coverage is for Division 3/4, I've heard Wooly state a while ago that they can't cover matches properly they can't watch on TV or stream.

RTE often try to on Sunday game but it's usually nonsense. Until Division 3/4 and even 2 this year actually can get matches on TV, streamed online and/or on YouTube after, the coverage will be non existent for anything in Division 3/4 and the Tailteann Cup.

Quite frankly I'd have nothing to do with the Tailteann Cup because clearly the GAA and media will not cover it or promote it either. I don't imagine we'll take that seriously, I think we'll be aiming for an Ulster final and less that the players or supporters or anyone won't bother with the Tommy Murphy II cup.

• Advertisement

Cian Reilly from Killygarry starting for the U20s tonight.

I am saying now that I won't be going next nor near it either, but knowing deep down that if there is a game in Breffni during the summer I will go in. Don't ask me why.😀

Cahair O Kane said the exact same thing that he could only pick a team of the league as there was zero footage for him to review of anything outside division one (or games he was at). It has gotten worse if you ask me, given that there is clearly a bias in coverage towards the Dubs, Kerry (fair enough for those two), Mayo, Tyrone and then after that its scraps even for the other division one teams. BBC NI are far superior in their GAA coverage if you ask me.

Look, when we were in division 2 in 2016 and 2018 you could come home from a game and put on RTE that Sunday evening and you MIGHT get 15 seconds of coverage. That's division 2. I may be wrong but the only TV "coverage" we got this year was the Leitrim game, and that was based on Andy Moran being the new manager. That tells you all you need to know that a game only has relevance based on a retired Mayo footballer.

I know editing a sports package of 12 games in evening is a logistical nightmare, but the option to stream should be there. The capacity to have cameras at all league matches was demonstrated in 2021 but it is just a total lack of interest in anything outside the top four teams. A bit of variety wouldn't go astray.

Anyone else or is he going to do it on his own? 😆

Big win for the lads tonight that win was badly wanted after the last few years at that grade.

That was absolutely class. Barring the opening 5 minutes, we were by far the better team. Hon Cavan!

Madden MOTM for me, composure, showing for ball, but a lot of lads not far behind. Cian Reilly a monster at the back, Carolan was class as was Hartin and Brady. Fergal Smith will likely go unnoticed but played a key role. Fionntan had the bit of class when needed. Lovely goal from Lovett but could have had three. O Rourke did well when it mattered.

We were far superior to a much fancied Monaghan team at home. It was class. Well done to all involved. I hope that sets the tone for the weekend.

FWIW Cavan team just named for tomorrow

Galligan

Fortune Faulkner Gunner

Jayo Moynagh Gerry

Clarke Smith

Cian Madden Gearoid T Galligan

Stephen Smith Lynch Caoimhin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Safe travels today to all going and let's hope we can finally get over the line in HQ

I can't get to it due to prior commitments but I'm looking forward to watching it

Strong enough team starting, it would be nice to see them attacking Tipp from the very start and using that full forward line

Here's hoping last night's under 20s brilliant result is the start of a great weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mylestheslasher

Huge congrats to the u20s. They were really well set up, worked extremely hard and had a nice bit of quality to make Monaghan look very ordinary. It's also clear to me those lads are totally on board with their manager so fair play to Damien Donohoe who has had to take a lot of flack. Good luck to the seniors today, hopefully we can make it 2/2 for the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Thunderbirds

I hope Paul Fitz is here taking names on behalf of Damien.

Post edited by Thunderbirds on

• Advertisement

Fair play to the team and management I don't think anyone seen that coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭mogue77

Congratulations to all players and management of u-20s brilliant result. Hopefully they play with the same determination and skill in the next game any day You get a win away to Monaghan is a great day. Well done all involved.

Terrible performance so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Poxed to win that

One swallow doesn’t make a Summer. I didn’t see the game last night as the county board decided to put minor games throwing in at 6.30 and when you’re a member of management you can’t just slip away at the end of the game.

Fair play to the lads for the win and the management team. Hopefully Donohoe and his team will prove their critics like myself wrong. I’d love to see nothing more. As Damien says himself, it’s just an opinion but some folk always like to roll out the catty remarks.

Croke Park was not easy. We rode our luck with that ball off the crossbar. A win is a win but I’m not sure we deserved it. Will watch the TG4 coverage when I get home. At times we just kicked the ball away and Ray Galligan again showed he’d can’t be relied on some days.

You can add Gearoid to the last sentence aswell. Coward out off a simple free that Galligan missed and did feck all other than pass backwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

A trophy in croke Park but in reality not a lot to celebrate

Our midfield was woeful, I can't see how we can continue with James Smith in there faulkner got a toasting but got little protection

Shots dropped into keepers hands, bad frees

But we did have some positive plays 2 good goals and its a good boost going into championship

It is what it is and park it up

Next stop corrigan Park

Watching the coverage now - lucky I spotted on the Sky App that you had to record the programmes before to get it all. 20 minutes in and Jason McLoughlin went down with the shoulder. They were readying a sub too. Very lucky he didn’t need to go off. Hard pressed that he didn’t get MOTM.

Is Mickey holding something back and trying to keep our opponents guessing? In 2019 I’m nearly sure Dara Mc played most League games in the half back line before being unleashed into the forward line come championship.

At the end of the first half, we were 4 points up and Lynch kicked one ball wide and another into the keepers hands. Those would have killed the game. Tipp then got 4 in a row to draw level.

How many wides/dropped short had we compared to Tipp?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Breifne Blue

A win is a win. I'm happy for the team and management, they deserved to win the trophy and get the day in Croker. Getting games there can certainly do no harm.

There seemed to be a fairly poor attendance which we discussed previously.

All roads lead to Antrim. Let's give Ulster a good rattle.

Advertisement