Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭ARX

Exactly - blowing up a couple of apartment blocks in Moscow would be more Russia's style. Fuel is important to Putin, a few hundred Russian civilians are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Why would Russia need a false flag event at this point,

They are 37 day's into an invasion which they are losing the war ,they don't need a reason to escalate or to justify failed invasion and occupation .

The more targets they can hit inside Russia the better ,

So much for the mighty s400 and s500 anti aircraft missiles if ukraine can fly Into Russia and back unopposed

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

BBC News - Russian MP says Putin's plan for Ukraine hasn't been shared with their parliament

So, the Duma doesn't know what the plan actually is, but it's going to plan, whatever it is. And they're deliberately advancing slowly to avoid civilian casualties? Yeah, right!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,354 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

"Going to plan" - So thinning out your military forces and making them look like an Airsoft team on a sunday morning was the plan? Great jerb there!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭brickster69

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

TBH who knows what is going on in their heads and if Putin is not getting the true picture nothing can be discounted.

If it was a Ukrainian operation I find it strange that the official Ukrainian channels have not claimed this operation. If it was them it was very risky and ballsy.

As for the so-called S400-S500 systems I reckon they are vapourware like much of so-called recent Russian military advancements. Its basically Russian Military Bullshit.

But how can they say with a straight face that its "going to plan" when the NovoFuhrer hasn't shared the plan with them. At this rate the black comedy "Death of Stalin" was actually a documentary !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Stanley 1

BoJo is a loyal servant to the Oligarchs, they know his price and what he can and can't deliver.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭brickster69

Yet other countries are buying far more oil and gas than India are. Also USA has quietly dropped Uranium from it's sanctions as it is needed for it's nuclear reactors as well as fertilizer. It is just hypocritical really, you can't threaten others when you are doing the same thing.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

The Belgorad Oil Storage attack was, I'd imagine, a guided-in, joint forces operation and therefore, perhaps, a little beyond the current envelope? - that may be why responsibility hasn't been claimed.

Either that, or it's the first (maybe even second) "mysterious" occurrence of the conflict.

Personally, I'd like to see Russia being issued a warning via the unexplained sinking of a carrier, something they can't spoof off to their public. If they can't pin something like that on either the US, or NATA, or a third party, what can they do?

• Advertisement

Well they only have one carrier and its a disaster. Its heading to Dry Dock for repairs. I reckon it should be left floating as its a massive moneypit and has been an operational disaster for them.

Taking out one of the Missile Cruisers in the Black Sea would be far more beneficial to the Ukrainians and as you say would be a highly visible act that would be hard to shield from the Russian public. Providing the Ukrainians with Anti-ship missiles could tick that box easily. Something like the Harpoon missile.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭zv2

I think the recent public intelligence brief was a way of telling Putin what his generals won't tell him.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭JoChervil

When I see such big mysterious events, which will help Ukraine I always think it is a CIA operation.

It’s more recent than that. I was a young school kid in Birmingham when the Falklands kicked off. You got some grainy live tv reporting on the evening news, but other than that most information was from the morning newspapers (scenarios then played out by 10 year old boys in the playgrounds across the country). We all thought it was a famous victory, and role played it accordingly (except for the sinkings of HMS Coventry and Sheffield)

it’s only recently that it’s become clear what a screw up it was by the UK military and how close the UK was to losing (and only as recently as last Sunday evening on that fantastic channel 4 documentary l - falklands war: the untold story - that the then head of the SAS laid out exactly what happened)

its taken literally 40 years to get a full understanding of how that war played out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Belgorod is near the border south of Sumy and North of Kharkiv. There is recently made white space there where Russian forces have withdrawn/retreated so no longer control, and it runs right up to their border so it's not impossible that it was the Ukrainians in this instance.

Although I'm not seeing the fire on FIRMS yet if it would appear there.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I was thinking that too, taking advantage of lack of anti aircraft capabilities in areas where the Russians are withdrawing from. Makes sense.

I know don't believe anything when it comes to Russia ,but there's been no outrage from them about being attacked on their own soil and nothing from the US about planned false flags either,

It's an odd one especially being it's the second time the same city has been hit by Ukraine ,

Wunderwaffle weapons too ,that we can definitely agree on ,the Armada unstoppable tank ,the terminator IFV unstoppable because it has two 30 mm canons instead of the usual one ,the su57 stealth aircraft that have been detected by 4th generation aircrafts radar , which means everyone else can see it too ,

There hypersonic missiles that are only an air launched ballistic missile fired in a steep arch .

It's Aprils fools everyday in Moscow

• Registered Users Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

• Registered Users Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

If it's a Ukrainian strike, then it's more embarrassing to Russia than anything. A delay from them usually means they are deciding how to spin it. If they acknowledge it too much, then it gets into Russian media, next thing Russians are asking how is the operation going so well if Ukrainian helicopters can just fly into Russia and blow up their fuel reserves..

Remember, they claim to have neutralised the Ukr air force. Imagine a helicopter attack taking place on mainland US. It's definitely embarrassing for them, but of course I expect them to spin the hell out of it somehow.

If however it's a false flag by Russia, it's a bit of a strange one.

The shocking thing with some of the revelations about the UK political sleaze linked to Russia is it would seem you could buy them for what would be pocket change to an oligarch or anyone else with big resources. A few tens of grand, a spin on a private jet, glamorous parties and a stay at a luxury villa.

It'd seem buying influence in the UK is pretty cheap.

Doesn't seem to be much of a principle or a backbone in some of the political circles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Lavrov claiming talks going well and should be continued. Talking about Ukrainians ceding on Russia's place in the Donbass and giving up on joining a bloc like NATO or the EU?? Surely he's wrong there?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,517 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

There was an international affairs expert on Prime Time last night saying it would be insane for Ukraine to cede territory to Russia in the Donbass region. Far from 'settling things', it would almost certainly guarantee a future invasion of Ukraine at a time of Putin's choosing.

Any so called peace agreement would be a joke to him and not worth the paper its is written on, (he and his lying propaganda machine would start a load of "Ukraine are not sticking to the agreement, are violating it in fact and we have no choice but to invade again" malarkey).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

You're 100% correct, I mistakenly thought they had a few. I'd settle for a destroyer though, one far removed from the current conflict, so as to leave them puzzled.

Yeah he came out with this last week suggesting it was all agreed , Zelenskyy them came out and categorically said they would not ceed any Ukrainian terrority,

Lavrov is in his own little world there

If however it's a false flag by Russia, it's a bit of a strange one.

Unless the Russians are so bad they can't even do a false flag properly and they were supposed to shoot down one of the helicopters and show pictures to the world of the dead crew wearing a Nato countries uniform.

Or maybe it's just an April fool joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

I saw that too followed immediately by a question from the Miriam about what the Ukrainians were going to have to compromise on. it's like she never even listened to her guest, but was just going to get through her pre-prepared questions no matter what!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,059 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Yer wan is long past her sell by date in more ways than one.

Should be retired by RTE or relegated to the likes of the Meaning of Life shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,517 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The problem is that the Putin criminal regime used supposed "Ukrainian aggression and genocide" as their excuse for starting the invasion and war.

Round 2 would be exactly the same : "Ukraine are provoking us and slaughtering our innocent Russian people in the Donbass. We have no choice but to invade again to stop them." There's is no dealing or compromising with these gangsters.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Perseverance The Second

I don't particularly understand the notion that attacking a Fuel Depot is a good false flag.

Surely the Helicopters should be acting as 'Nazi's' by attacking civilians.

Fuel Depot's are legitimate military targets - and it helps put a dent into the existing logistics issues supplying frontline Russian troops.

I would imagine the Ukrainian government would quite like the False Flag narrative to be popular- hence why they are not claiming it. Similar to an attack on the 25th of Feb which they did not claim either.

• Advertisement

Look It's yesterday's landmines been removed and the road reopened,

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement