Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

Henshaw, Ringrose and perhaps Frawley will play next to no URC over the next season and a half 

Disagree. Frawley is a lovely player but honestly I can't see him overtaking Henshaw or Aki in the Ireland pecking order anytime soon. And even if he's involved in extended squads, there won't be provincial matches on international weekends next season, so barring injury Frawley will always be available for Leinster.

given Frawleys trajectory

What trajectory? 2nd choice 12, 4th choice 10 and not being in the 23 for Europe when everyone is fit?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,041 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Frawley isn't moving to 10. Fourth choice 10 is essentially out of the default match day 23 which is just not happening.

Leinster/IRFU have re-signed three out and out 10s in the last month. He'll be starting at 12 with completion from Ngatai as realistically there is little depth/competition at 12 around international windows or if Henshaw is injured.

Frawley isn't moving to 10

I wouldn't be so sure of this to be honest.

Sexton's Leinster career is more or less over. He probably won't play 10 more games for the province. Perhaps Leo and Stu are aware of Ross Byrne's limitations and see Frawley as a better long term successor if we want to challenge for more European Cups?

When we signed Ala'alatoa, I thought it was bizarre that we were signing the Crusaders 1st choice TH and Samoa captain to be 3rd choice, and then it turned out he was being signed to accommodate Porter switching to LH. I wouldn't be at all surprised if this is something similar. I'd be amazed if we're signing an All Black (probably on a decent wedge) to be 3rd choice 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,041 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I totally agree on Sexton in the URC but I wouldn't rule out him showing up for key Champions Cup games. Much has been made of his ability to turn up for games uncooked and perform but he'll still need some fitness.

If they had no confidence in Ross, they wouldn't have re-signed him. Because in this scenario, they've re-signed Ross, Harry and Frawley for one of them to essentially be a water boy. And if Sexton is available, one of them won't even be given that luxury.

If there was any inkling of Frawley being a ten, he would have turned up there for at least one minute in the last two years, which he hasn't.

Ngatai is there for competition but he can also cover other positions. There is so little depth at 12. It's Henshaw and Frawley and that's it post the summer departures. Sure Harry Byrne was playing 12 as we were so light on depth. Moving Frawley to 10 would be madness and make no sense.

he would have turned up there for at least one minute in the last two years, which he hasn't.

He played the last 20 minutes or so v Bath at 10.

I fully understand the squad depth argument, but you don't sign an ex All Black who's playing every week at Lyon to come and be 3rd choice and play the odd URC game. That's the kind of thing you sign someone like Tom Daly or Dan Goggin or some random IQ lad from the Premiership for, not an ex All Black who's still only 31 playing 1st XV rugby. It just seems like overkill to me. We could put T'O.B or Harry at 12 and still wipe the floor with most the dross in the URC.

I suspect Frawley being shifted to 12 had more to do with us being stacked at 10, than him not being rated as a 10. But very soon, we won't be stacked for 10s anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Who knows what the story is? Frawley may go back to the 10 position and perhaps he can make himself a valuable out half? It would be good for RB and HB, to have more competition.

Frawley is a very good 12, he could be involved in some Irish squads? I can see his multi talents at several positions are very attractive. He's played 15 and 12, he could probably do a job on the wing like ROL. But, having another option behind Sexton is needed.

RB is obviously highly rated with Leinster. They have re signed him and remember, he was chosen over Carberry to remain at Leinster.

HB is a dilemma! He just can't get a consistent run. I'm hopeful he plays this weekend. I'd love to see him start!

I would assume Tector will be in the academy. I have changed my opinion of him after the match with France. I thought he was quite good! I still think Corkery was better but, no other province picked him up!

• Subscribers Posts: 41,645 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Ngatai plays a lot more than just 12.

he will be brought in as a utility back to cover both centre spots and 15.

im sure james lowe was instrumental in getting him over (if the signing is confirmed)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,655 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

The trajectory that has him in line to be our player of the season and beginning to get into Ireland squads

He won't be our player of the season. The only way he'll get in the matchday 23 for the "big" games is through injury

He didn't make the 6N squad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Not sure whether its because Boards.ie has fallen off, because the interest in the URC is lower or because the rivalry isn't what it once was, but no posts on either Leinster or Munster forums in the last 24 hours and no dedicated match thread. It really does seem like interest in the league derby is on the wane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

15. Hugo Keenan (38)

14. Jimmy O’Brien (45)

13. Garry Ringrose CAPTAIN (94)

12. Robbie Henshaw (60)

11. James Lowe (59)

10. Ross Byrne (120)

9. Jamison Gibson-Park (108)

1. Ed Byrne (80)

2. James Tracy (139)

3. Michael Ala’alatoa (16)

4. Devin Toner (276)

5. Jack Dunne (17)

6. Caelan Doris (47)

7. Josh van der Flier (106)

8. Jack Conan (109)

Replacements:

16. Dan Sheehan (21)

17. Cian Healy (241)

18. Tadhg Furlong (119)

19. Ross Molony (131)

20. Josh Murphy (55)

21. Luke McGrath (167)

22. Ciarán Frawley (47)

23. Max Deegan (80)

It's 2/3rds of a good team but that front 5 is just... what?

Munster: Matt Gallagher; Calvin Nash, Chris Farrell, Damian de Allende, Shane Daly; Joey Carbery, Conor Murray; Jeremy Loughman, Niall Scannell, Stephen Archer; Jason Jenkins, Fineen Wycherley; Peter O’Mahony (C), Chris Cloete, Gavin Coombes.

Replacements: Diarmuid Barron, Josh Wycherley, John Ryan, Thomas Ahern, Alex Kendellen, Craig Casey, Ben Healy, Keith Earls.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Leinsters second row is iffy and I think Munster have the advantage there. Front row is about even, but our back row is superior. I also think we've the stronger bench. Especially with a 6/2 split. Sheehan, Furlong, Murphy and Deegan are very high impact replacements.

We've the better backline too. Surprised that Larmour isn't involved. Thought he was back to fitness?

Munster need the win more than Leinster, but we want to keep momentum going into the Connacht knock outs. Munsters front 5 might give them a better platform to play from than ours. So that's a worry.

Munster by a score I'd say. But if we're ahead once both respective benches begin to come on I think we'll win.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

At least we get a good look at Jenkins

• Registered Users Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Ruddock out of the starting 23 now?

Very surprised Jimmy got picked over Tommy at RW, being a left footer. I'd actually have put Jimmy at 15 and Keenan on the wing. I think that would actually work better.

Serious lack of mobility and power in the front 5 with Byrne, Tracy and Toner. That's a weakness for us. Mind you Munster's front 5 isn't very mobile either.

Our bench is vastly superior though. If we're within a score on the hour mark, we'll win.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

“Munster by a score I'd say.”

I think I’ve lost track of the number of times Leinster fans on here have declared Munster the favourites. ;)

Bookies have it Leinster by 5 which doesn’t seem far off to me. Am I right in saying this is the first time since Dec 2019 this fixture will have a full house tho? Hoping from my side that’ll make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Larmour said during the week he was close but a week or 2 away didn't he?

Bookies have us evens with a 6 point handicap. I think that's fair

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Forwards win games, backs decide by how much. Well we will see if that’s true now. Our starting front 5 wouldn’t inspire too much confidence. The Backline though is quite tasty. No Harry Byrne in the lineup with a 6-2 split is interesting.

munster tight five arent fear inducing either, and i much prefer our bench if its a tight game going into the last 20 mins

Ah yeah if Munster aren’t at least 10 points ahead on 60 mins. I’d fancy us to take it. Just our starting second row is as weak as I can ever remember.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Lsdrugbyfan

harry byrne is injured

wont be a full house as there are thousands of tickets for sale still

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Well that is what the league is all about. Accommodating Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Toner and Dunne do not strike me as a good pairing. Toner is pedestrian and Dunne has barely played. I'd have stuck with Ross and McCarthy. But, it's good seeing Henshaw back, hopefully he's fit and 100%.

I can't believe that there's still tickets available.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,384 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

R-ight.

They announced last week that he was back from the rib injury. Did he get injured again in training?

quite a few players injured that havent been mentioned in the injury report.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Where is tonight's game been broadcast?

• Advertisement

Advertisement