Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Coverage

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭ATR72

Well if it flops then I hope people are prepared to go back to the provincial model. Proposal B or a champions league format would both be rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭franglan

No once it fails due to a lack of promotion by the GAA and the media treating it like it's some form of ebola to be in the Tailteann cup we'll have a 16 team all ireland championship and some variation of the Tailteann cup for everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Breifne Blue

That attitude sums it up. There would be a lot more interest in it than club GAA, Ladies football and women's rugby that RTE/TG4 show on a regular basis. But that's typical RTE for you. Certainly a lot higher quality than any of that shite your pals in RTE promote.

What an aggressive and defensive reply! Do you work for RTE ? Never heard anybody state their coverage is the best around. Laughable, you must be on the payroll Tod surely or trolling?

Why ? There's a round of u20 county games tonight and club matches Friday around the country.

It's certainly doable with a bit of organisation, for counties with not a big distance to travel. Many players much prefer Friday matches.

• Advertisement

Players have jobs to go to. You can't expect Carlow and Leitrim to travel around for a game on a Friday night after work.

We won't have that if it fails. Failing means counties have no interest and won't bother competing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Women's rugby coverage is tokenism at it's finest, it has no place on main broadcaster like RTE.

Ladies GAA football has been on TG4 for over twenty years and has a niche following, it's a niche sport on a niche station which is fine.

In counties like Carlow club football has a much bigger following than inter county.

You mean the qualifier model rather than the provincial model.

The provincial model will still exist, it's just what happens to teams when they lose in the provincial that's different.

The idea of the TC was to stop teams going into seasons knowing that they would get hammered and having nothing to play for.

People use the Mayo v Leitrim Connacht game in 2021 as a perfect example of why something was needed to be done.

But only half the problem is addressed.

Leitrim will still get hammered by Mayo in Connacht, but with the TC the worst they can face after that is the team that came 7th in Div 2, rather than possibly facing another top team again like Kerry, Dublin, Tyrone etc

What we will see now again in Tailteann is many players will be off to America for the summer and won't bother with it.

Why should they? If nobody gives a **** about anything outside Division 1, why would any players or supporters buy into the Tailteann Cup?

• Advertisement

Quite frankly the media saturation and especially of RTE with rugby is a farce.

There coverage of women's rugby is ridiculous, I have never heard of one person that follows it not one. And yet it gets more coverage on RTE than 95% of GAA county teams or LOI soccer.

Yep

We were here before with The Tommy Murphy Cup in the mid 2000s

The Tailteann Cup, even with the changed structure from 2023 onwards is not very different.

For Div 3 and 4 teams, play your provincial, if you don't make the final you are in the secondary competition.

If that is the case then shouldn't they be seeded based on strength. Leitrim will still have to play Mayo/Galway/Roscommon but I suppose they can't be afraid of them forever.

Something like this:

Round 1:

Leitrim v London

Sligo v NY

QF:

Leitrim v Sligo

SF:

Mayo v Leitrim/Sligo

Roscommon v Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭amlinopta

The coverage of the women’s rugby is way over the top. They’re now even showing games not involving Ireland, who are useless in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭jimdemp

Starts talking about GAA coverage criticism at around 1 hour and 4 mins

I bet you it's part of the contract with the Six Nations or whoever runs the thing. No other reason for why they would do this. Ireland have played 2 internationals in soccer and neither were shown on free to air. There would be lot more interest in that than women's rugby.

Fair response. I wouldn't bother showing the Tailteann if I were RTÉ. Stick it on YouTube for the dedicated fans.

Today was just Rugby all day on RTE. As good as TG4 is, the vast majority cannot understand Irish commentary. So when you have days like today with Division 3 and 4 with lesser known players, it doesn't help attract viewers or interest when people don't know the players.

One point I'd make regarding coverage is that in essence Hurling and Football are basically two different sports operated under the one banner.

And many viewers/supporters only follow one code. I would have no real interest in hurling and many hurling folk say the same about football.

So if 50% or more of coverage is hurling/camoige. Then most football viewers are only getting half coverage of football, and vice versa.

He makes some fair points but it is defensive at the same time. Get the feeling he is not a fan of the League and neither are RTE which might explain why TG4 basically run the show there.

Think another issue is Virgin Media's sheer lack of coverage of GAA or sport in general, particularly as a free to air channel. Which leaves too much to RTE and TG4.

I would say RTE and GAA were caught on the hop by the collapse of Eir Sport. Eir Sport had good league coverage showing multiple games at the same time. RTE sold those rights to BBC iPlayer which, was out of reach of 90% of viewers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

If only. They'd stick it on the wretched RTE player where you'd get a half dozen ads served up in flawless 4K before the actual match which would be 320x240 at around 13 frames per second.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Hopefully the fact that the GAA know what their championship format will be for the next few years means that they'll be able to come up with a suitable set of rights to sell broadcasters.

The introduction of the provincial hurling leagues and the Super 8s added a whole bunch of matches that RTE and Sky naturally focused on when picking what matches to show. The rights deal had been negotiated before those matches were added to the calendar which was hardly ideal. People gave out about RTE not showing much football early on but why would they when they knew they had to save slots to try and show an extra eight "quarter finals"?

The bare minimum should be making sure they can facilitate RTE showing a "Saturday Game" most weeks during the championship season. At the moment I don't believe they have the rights to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭jimdemp

Crazy that RTE will have home and away on instead of the league finals. There is a clear distain For GAA by some in RTE.

They had women's rugby on yesterday instead of the league finals.They don't give a stuff outside Rugby it seems. They certainly aren't fussed at all about the League.

Regarding TG4 nobody complains about their punditry because nobody listens to it or understands it. Or even knows the pundits. Kevin Cassidy is the only one I recognised and occasionally Jarlath Burns. Doesn't really matter as I don't really understand Gaeilge.

Reading between the lines it seems like it's a done deal already behind the scenes. There isn't much transparency but there rarely is in Croke Park.

I do wonder will Premier Sports make a play for it. I believe they have the British GAA rights? And there is an Irish connection in Premier, a relation of defunct Setanta Sports.

If they could play the Eir Sport role for league and more it would be an improvement on this year. This nonsense of games on TG4 app and BBC I player that barely anyone has access to has been a joke. Put it on YouTube even.

Are people even paying attention ?

RTE do not have the rights to broadcast the league finals

Those rights are owned by TG4 and will continue to be owned by TG4 until the next rights sale.

The league finals are on the only station they are allowed to be on, TG4

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,917 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

You'd have to question RTE for not getting the rights when they came available then.

Did they even want them? Or did TG4 simply say, yes please?

Given the RTE commentators are Brutal, I'm glad TG4 got it and do a fine job, probably better than our National Broadcaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,510 ✭✭✭dobman88

Surely 2 time all Ireland winner Aodhán Mac Gearailt would be fairly well known?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,906 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

It's not crazy, they dont have the rights, jesus how many times do some people have to be told?

• Advertisement

It's hard to know.

TG4 have had the main league rights for almost two decades.

It's only in recent enough years that the league has become more popular, it's to do with the drop in quality of the provincial championships I reckon.

RTE started sharing Saturday night rights with Eir a few years ago and have since taken on the Eir contract since they went bust.

I can't see RTE looking for the main league rights in the next sale, I'd say they are satisfied enough with the Saturday night rights and the highlights show on Sunday night.

They have the main championship rights and that's the main thing.

Advertisement