Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,442 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I suppose we could start with him withdrawing from the Open Skies agreement giving russia a free hand in Ukraine.

No I don't see those as good things. They appear to be bad. I am not the mind-controlled automaton you would like to believe.

One thing though - I wonder how much of the reduction of legal immigration was due to Covid which took up his last year in office (maybe 20% of his total term in office)? But leaving that aside - the outcome is negative.

bad? very bad you mean. and those policies were in place before covid so that is not an excuse. Denying citizenship to those who put their lives on the line for the country is inexcusable. The GOP and Trump claimed to support the military. how is that supporting the military?

Is that the biggest thing? So the Open Skies agreement would have prevented Putin from sending in the tanks into Ukraine?

I'm agreeing with you, but not strongly enough it would seem. OK - it was very, VERY bad. Is that better?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,652 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

You were asked for a policy, a policy that would be worth overlooking the lengthy list of negatives of Trump. You mentioned immigration and specifically the wall. He,, by his own admission, failed to deliver.

The ins-and-outs of the failure are not really important. He said he would deliver something and he didn't. If, buts and maybe, but at the end of the day people are judged on results.

So is a failure to deliver enough to keep people interested in voting for him, despite all the negatives? Does failing to deliver the wall, which he promised was ready to go as soon as he was elected and would be paid for by Mexico, and that he knew more about construction that anyone, is that worth a failed insurrection? Is it worth a degrading of the trust in the democratic process? Is it worth a demeaning in the rules of the WH, such as nepotism, using the WH for electioneering etc. Is it worth watching POTUS side with Putin and Russia over American service men and women?

prevent, no. that was not the intention of opens skies but you know that already.

It's a start. Perhaps you might start to reappraise those brilliant policies of trump. Of course the fact that you didn't know how bad they actually are is part of the reason that trump had so many supporters. the uninformed love him.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,716 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

"Definitely a fair point that he had both houses for 2 years. My memory of it is that they made some progress on it but given how big a project it was, it needed a lot more than 2 years to design, plan and begin construction on something that big (essentially half the length of America)."

That is giving him a huge pass on this. He campaigned on building the wall and Mexico paying for it. What you are saying is that he was not capable enough to understand the task and couldn't follow it through when he was in power. That is the reality of it. I could campaign on saying I would make everyone a millionaire, but because I tried to do it, i deserve the credit. The border issue is extremely complex and he hadn't a clue what he was doing.

You haven't addressed the facts, that are;

1) He (according to you) didn't grasp what was involved

2) He didn't build the wall

3) He campaigned that he would make Mexico pay for it, and he didn't

4) Moreover, his associate Bannon swindled his supporters out money from people like you who wanted it built.

NONE OF THAT is the Democrats fault.

"As for how effective it is, there was one hilarious incident with the reporter Jim Acosta where he showed up at a stretch of newly constructed wall, attempting to show it doesn't work but inadvertently proving it's effectiveness."

There are also clips of people flying over the wall, proving it didn't work.

We had a poster on here for months telling us that the wall was being built when it wasn't. I have no truck with CNN, but singling them out for bullshitting when FOX, OAN etc are doing it on a much more egregious scale.

"There was a calm scene, nobody around. Law. Order."

I'm not entirely sure whether that last part is an indication that Trump was a law and order president. If it was, I don't have enough hours in the day to debunk that.

"Tell me, if Trump proposed a stop and track policy, how do you think Democrats would respond to that? In all honesty, they would be linking it to slavery no doubt."

Now, what this is telling me is that no matter what the Democrats say, you will slate it. That, coupled with mentions of left leaning media, hunter biden etc really doesn't add credibility to your posts. That's not a personal attack, it is an overexaggeration that doesn't help your argument.

"His policies didn't work because his personality was such that he could not make a deal with the Democrats."

He did do deals. Reasonable deals were made on budgets etc.

He campaigned on being a deal maker, the best deal maker ever. He promised to make people wealthy, because incompetent politicians couldn't do the job.. but he could. Tell me, how did that go? Are you telling me, again, that he bit off more than he could chew?

"I get that they cannot be seen to be working constructively with him..."

Again, they did do deals with him.

"The Democrats were as obstructive to him as the Republicans were to Obama initially. Just disgusting."

If that's true, which it isn't, did you post on here having a go at McConnell et al while they relished in obstructing Obama at every turn?

"Where I would criticise him is the braggadocio around getting "Mexico to pay" for it. Fantasy land stuff."

Hang on. This is not a victimless statement. He promised to make Mexico pay for it and took it from tax payer money. That's more than just an empty promise.

"He is not without fault, absolutely."

Agreed

"But people voted as much for his policies, and to go against Hillary, and less so because they endorsed every facet of his personality."

And there is the but.

You mentioned people forgiving Churchill for his flaws. That's a fair point. So tell me, on what basis could Trump's "achievements" in any way compare or balance the scale of his flaws? The only way that it could, in your or anyone else's book, would be if you don't see Trump's flaws in the same way others do because in terms of what he achieved, there is a pitiful amount, so few in fact I cannot make a list.

I think you've given some good examples of bad behaviour by Trump. I don't defend any of those negatives. The "insurrection" is a joke but I'm not defending it, I just think a bunch of fringe lunatics broke into the building and then had no idea what they were doing so took a bunch of selfies and stole some souvenirs. "Insurrection", "Coup" - these are words that imply an actual plan. These people don't represent your average Trump voter, they represent a tiny extreme wing.

Anyway, nepotism is wrong but I think his family were trying to help. Would be far easier for them to live off Daddy's money than get involved in flying to places like Oklahoma or North Dakota.

No idea how you think he sided with Putin / Russia of the US military - what exactly are you on about there?

• Advertisement

So far, you have excused Trump saying Mexico would pay for the wall as braggadocio, mentioned left leaning media, had a swipe at CNN, mentioned Hunter Biden's laptop, denied that Trump helped Putin out, blamed the democrats on Trump's failings and sought to minimise January 6th and Trump's involvement in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Stanley 1

The sons will probably have collected a fee (offshore) to jump those who could afford up the queue and reach the promised land.

So far, you have excused Trump saying Mexico would pay for the wall as braggadocio - I didn't excuse it as braggadocio - I condemned him for it.

mentioned left leaning media, - And? Is this a crime? Does anyone doubt this is true apart from Fox News?

had a swipe at CNN, - No I didn't, I mentioned an incident involving Jim Acosta - a personal tweet he sent - I didn't mention CNN (which by the way wouldn't mean anything)

mentioned Hunter Biden's laptop, -- And?

denied that Trump helped Putin out, -- I'm genuinely searching for answers as to how Trump helped Putin out. Some flight treaty seems to be the extent of it, unless I'm mistaken.

blamed the democrats on Trump's failings and sought to minimise January 6th and Trump's involvement in it. -  I was initally responding to a post that said anyone who supports Trump also supports his personality. I definitely DID minimise January 6th because it's the most overblown melodrama in US history (possible since the Will Smith slap). "People died" is the usual response - Yes - the idiots involved died. It's called Darwinism. But to Democrats, Jan 6th is on a par with 9/11. It's hilarious. Trump's involvement in it I am willing to discuss - I think there is an investigation so hopefully due process will take place and we get a fair and honest outcome. If he is guilty of something then he should face the consequences, absolutely.

I'm genuinely searching for answers as to how Trump helped Putin out. Some flight treaty seems to be the extent of it, unless I'm mistaken.

You asked for one example and I provided it to you. it is not the only one. do you expect me to explain everything to you like I did about his immigration policy?

Let's stick to immigration.

How do you square Trump's anti-immigration policy with hiring illegal immigrants?

I'm not asking everything to be explained, just looking for a bit of material to underlay a term like "lapdog".

If I call Hillary Clinton or Bernie Sanders a fascist, I'm sure you would ask for examples to prove my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,652 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Again, the point being discussed is on what basis you think Trump should be voted for by anyone. Plenty of negatives have been pointed out, some of which you have acknowledged, so on that basis what is the reason that you to vote for him.

For myself, I do not see anything at all that would negate the clear evidence that he is simply not suitable for the job, and actually there is plenty of reason to believe that he might actually be damaging to the US as a whole. Sure you can pass of the insurrection as a joke, a few mindless yokels getting lost and a bit goofed up on red bull and making a nuisance, but the more evidence we see and hear, the missing phone logs, the situation room in the hotel, the SCOtUS wife texting the COS, Trump calling the people brave and patriots. Trump certainly didn't believe this was a joke, he praised those taking part.

But it happened, under his watch. He led the US to a situation where for the 1st time ever in its history, the democratic wish of the people was attempted to be overturned by the minority. That seems like quite a risky avenue to go down and, whether you blame Trump for it or not, there is the very real possibility that were he to be voted in again it would happen again.

I just cannot see what potential upside there is to voting for Trump that would warrant taking on such a risk.

TL;DR sorry man it's exhausting trying to read that.

It's hypocrisy, but I think like most people who are against illegal immigration, Trump is more concerned with the future than the past. He's not proposing to go around with pick up trucks and nets to try and scoop up all the Mexicans and turf them all out of the country. It's more about preventing an already bad situation from getting worse - by properly enforcing the law and the border.

But to answer your point, it's hypocrisy.

Let me ask you a question about the same thing. Do you give some credit to Trump for hiring illegals rather than informing on them and getting them kicked out of the US?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,312 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

@[Deleted User] I mean Afghanistan was superbly handled and was in no way a historic embarrassment.

Afghanistan was always going to be a nightmare no matter who's watch it happened under, because Trump's plan was a farce. The only thing differently that would have happened under Trump is that it would have occurred 4 months earlier than it did.

• Advertisement

I think all elections, especially in the 2-party system of the US, involve some compromise and some swallowing of uncomfortable things in order to get things done. It's like saying that voting for Bill Clinton was an endorsement of his personality and sexual behaviour. It wasn't that, it was a glance around at the alternatives and then picking the least bad option.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Detritus70

One of Trump's failures is that he described himself as a dealmaker and a shrewd operator.

It turned out that he is a wannabe tinpot dictator who just barks orders at underlings and expects everyone to just immediately jump to attention.

He was let loose in a political environment where his legendary dealmaking abilities would have enabled him to bring people onboard with his vision but it turned out that he has no such ability whatsoever. As soon as his demands aren't met, he throws a strop and storms out the room like the big toddler he is.

"I'm not a Trump supporter, but..." is the new "I'm not a racist, but...".

the only future he is concerned with is his own. how anybody think he was suitable to be president is beyond me.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

As has been pointed out by many already , his border policies failed - badly.

2017 was the only year that there were less border crossings than under ANY previous administration in the last 20 years, and that was only marginally so.

2019 was the highest in over a decade in terms of illegal crossings.

The existence of the Wall or not is largely immaterial to Border policy - The overwhelming majority of illegal immigrants are people who over-stay their visas. And of those actually detained "at the border" the vast majority are initially intercepted at official border crossings not caught wading across the Rio Grande.

Trumps policies failed utterly and his inability to build a wall had little or nothing to do with it.

The spike in 2021 can largely be attributed to a release of pent up demand as it were, following the severe global Covid restrictions in 2020.

As I have said before , I can see the reason for people voting for Trump in 2016 - Lots of Promises to be different and avoid the pitfalls of previous administrations etc.

I could see why some would view him as "worth a shot" for a vote in 2016

But, once elected we had 4 years of incompetence and self-serving corruption from Trump so the reasons from 2016 are simply no longer there.

We know exactly how corrupt he is , we know exactly how incompetent he is , we know exactly how utterly disinterested his is in anything other than self aggrandisement and self-gratification.

There are no more "reasons" for continued support for Donald Trump other than actually liking the man for what he is.

By all means support "Conservative" policies but please don't tell us that that's the reason people still support Trump over literally ANY other potential GOP candidate.

See, this analysis I don't disagree with. And yet, I still think he is the least bad option.

Look at the alternatives in the past 2 elections - Hillary Clinton and Joe Biden. Both extremely flawed characters who are very embedded within the corrupt failed system. A lot of people look at the straight choice and think that Trump, for all his flaws, represents the lesser of two evils. Only a fool would think that a vote for Trump represents a vote for every single thing he says or does.

Be honest though, he is Box Office, whether you love him or hate him. The 4 years of his presidency were pretty entertaining and consequential.

By contrast the word that comes to mind under the Biden regime is - SAD!

and there we have it. you only care about entertainment and "owning the libs". you don't give a fig about policies. You certainly don't understand them. thank you for clarifying that you are not capable of a serious discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,539 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

So, it's just about the lulz, then? And Trump's sadism in office was 'pretty entertaining?' Fortunately, his own laziness and incompetence kept him from getting reelected - imagine if he tried to do a good job with the Covid pandemic instead of the s**tshow he ran. Fortunately, again, the scientists bailed us all out with the rapid vaccine rollout.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Detritus70

The last four years have shown Trump to be the very worst option by far. Hillary Clinton and Joe Biden are fairly standard career politicians and that's actually a good thing.

Would you hire a horse trainer to redo the electrics in your house because you hired bad electricians in the past? That's exactly what's wrong with Trump and everyone who voted for him.

It was basically a case of "hey, vote for me, I haven't got a Bollocks clue what I'm doing, what have you got to lose?"

And when it turned out that having a clue about your job, being able to wheel and deal, getting on with people and getting them onboard with your plan are important skills that Trump didn't possess, most normal, decent, intelligent people turned away from him.

There are still people who seem to say "no wait, vote him in again, I wanna see how badly he can fcuk this up".

The world is not reality TV. Having skills and experience counts. Politics is not Dancing with the Stars and never should be. Most Yanks have forgotten that because their brains are rotten from reality TV.

"I'm not a Trump supporter, but..." is the new "I'm not a racist, but...".

• Advertisement

Haha it was a tongue in cheek post after my immediately previous post which serious attempt to explain why people voted for him. It's got nothing to do with "owning the libs" and everything to do with resetting the global order and an attempt to try and course correct away from open borders, Davos, globalist and failed neo-liberal agendas. To try and build American manufacturing rather than simply allowing everything to be offshore to China who gobble up every bit of intellectual property and use it to compete with, and undermine, America.

It's also got something to do with wanting to vote for somebody who is willing to stand up against the strangulation of political correctness, with it's desire for idealogical purity and ability to break lives apart for the non-believers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement