Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW i4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,321 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

This and some of the following reactions are very interesting. It is exactly the point I made a few pages back that the i4 is a very different car to new EV owners as opposed to people who already have owned and driven EVs for a few years. Mainly that an EV built from the ground up can be packaged much more smartly. A modest €39k Hyundai Ioniq 5 is as spacious inside as a monster car like a Volvo XC90 or an Audi Q7. A BMW X5 is far bigger on the outside but far smaller on the inside than a Tesla Model Y. This i4 is no doubt an excellent car (boy am I glad it is, I was starting to fear BMW were on the way out if they didn't get the finger out soon). But it could have been better. But perhaps it is good enough to do what it needs to do for BMW. With today's shortages of EVs that is quite likely. It's a risky game though that BMW are playing, but perhaps they simply do not have the means to invest in fully ground up built EVs yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Casati

So is the packaging of say a Taycan optimal then? I haven’t been lucky enough personally to drive one but reports are it’s similar cabin space to an i4 despite being on a dedicated platform isn’t it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭whippet

a 4series GT was never designed as a 'family' car - it is a 4 seater .. the i4 is a similar car. Comparing the i4 to a standard 5 seater family saloon is comparing apples with oranges.

I could count on one hand how many times in the last three years I've had three people sitting in the back of my car. I have two kids so a four seater is all I need.

Okay saying an Ioniq 5 is as spacious as a Q7 is daft, that’s simply not true. Fair enough it’s a better family car than say an i4 but that’s exactly why many i4 drivers won’t buy it.

We have had very practical spacious cars like the Citroen C4 Picasso that are smaller externally than the Ioniq 5 but arguably more practical inside despite running on petrol and diesel but I never heard of one being compared to a 4 series.

I’m at a stage now where I’d love an impractical car rather than an wagon that shouts 2.4 kids and a dog. A better packaged i4 that looks like an ID4 with a flat floor will be a turn off

I've had my time of driving family cars - estate cars and SUVs. I now want to go back to driving cars that I like and the two kids can sit in the back. We also have a leaf40 on the driveway and that serves it's purpose.

So the likes of an EV6 or Ioniq 5 don't really do it for me. I'm still waiting to get a test drive in an i4 and hopefully I will like it and can get an order in.

I have nothing against the EV6, Ioniq 5 .. but for the moment they are not the car for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,030 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

You are missing the point, the i4 would be better inside if it had a dedicated EV platform, to try and argue that a hulking great transmission tunnel down the the centre isnt undesirable is just stupid, of course it would be better without it.

Its not a sports car we are talking about here its a mid range bmw saloon, which unless i am missing something has the exact same configuration across the back as a 3 series, i.e. 3 sets of seatbelts and a space for a middle passenger i.e. its a 5 seater. A 4 seater has 2 rear seats.

I would love if the i4 was on a dedicated platform, if it was id have an order in for the m50 already, im not trying to talk down anyones choice, but it could have been better.

I'd class it as a 4 seater and I would also classify my G20 330 as a 4 seater ... but that is just me.

Of course it could be better - just like most cars there is always something that you'd think could be better. Take the Tesla for instance - the interior could be far better for a car of that price range, especially the lumping big screen in the middle.

The difference with the Tesla is that they have designed the interior that way, BMW are working around a transmission tunnel that is not required.

I know that. So with all choices there are things I wouldn't like - honestly a fake transmission tunnel would be easier to live with than the Tesla interior. I accept that for others they will like the inside of the Tesla. Hence why choice is good.

choice would be comparing the tesla interior to the bmw and picking the one you prefer,

a redundant transmission tunnel is a compromise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Old diesel

I think the point as advocated by Unkel is correct.

A converted ICE platform means the EV isn't as good as it could be.

Its not just transmission tunnels and general spacw - its also things like setting the car up to handle, ride and steer as best we can get it.

Getting weight distribution sorted, calibration of suspension - ie not just simply stiffening up the ICE car dampers and springs.

Why seek a car that's not as good as it can be

What dedicated EV has a better combination of handling, ride, steering?? I fail see too see what the compromises are

@Casati - a quick google shows a Citroen C4 Picasso has a wheelbase of 273cm. The Ioniq 5 has a wheelbase of 300cm. It's at least a full size bigger.

It's a small miracle the i4 drives as good as it does. As it is a compromised design. The BMW engineers can take a huge credit there. I'm disappointed that I haven't heard any follow up on my online test drive application I made a good few weeks ago, maybe I should just drive into Frank Keane when I get a chance.

etron gt and the Taycan for 2. Id fancy a jag i pace to give it a good go as well.

I do think you are missing the point with this car, it’s not a sports car but it is a sporty car, a grand coupe as BMW call it and not the family car to take three adults. It does however has reasonable space so the lifestyle owner can use it everyday and take a bit of luggage in it and maybe sports gear etc. In the same way Porsche could have developed a more practical car than the Taycan is, I’m certain that BMW are happy that this car doesn’t have massive rear legroom, three rear isofix seats etc etc. If you need all that stuff sounds like you need a family wagon.

I'd rather chop my tackle off than buy a family wagon 😁 I've made it so far with just saloons and hatchbacks and my kids are all teenagers now. The only reason I need a hatchback these days is the dog and carrying big stuff like solar panels and bikes. Nothing to do with the kids really.

someone is missing the point but it isnt me 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭Fitz II

The front end of the i4 doesn't need to be like that, EV's can have front ends like rear engined supercars, short overhangs, sloping bonnet etc. i4 is also quite tall thanks to battery placement. Dont get me wrong I think the i4 is a step up on the model 3 tesla, but saying that the ICE platform doesn't effect it detrimentally is just kidding yourself.

Look at the Taycan and Etron Gt both beautiful no compromise EVs with great handling, both different from each other. Taycan Cross tourismo is the practical choice, and I can fit 5 adults in my taycan no problem for a short trip and 4 adults in total comfort for a long trip.

I think BMW are flying so close to Porsche in the pricing game with the i4 that I think the comparison is valid. Was on the tesla supercharger thread yesterday and people were sucking elons knob over installing a 250kw charger....I pointed out Ionity have had 350kw in ireland for a couple of years, and which point they attacked me cause the ionity network is not as extensive as teslas.....dont be like tesla fanboys, dont strawman dont live in a bubble of fandom,. There are only a half dozen "Premium at last" EVs on the market here, not hard familiarise yourself with them all and be honest about the pros and cons.

fairly decent assessment - however, I'm in the market and my budget will max out at about €75k and that isn't in the e-tron gt or Porsche range. Even if I were to sell a kidney or child in the next couple of months it won't get me in to a porsche with the spec that I'd want to start off with.

So if I want to go down the route of a grand tourer type car in EV the BMW is top of that pile at the moment. Kia, Hyundai or Polestar do not really float my boat. I wouldn't be classified as a fan boy but I've enjoyed owning a couple of BMWs over the years .. however my favourite car that I've owned was a Superb Estate .. it served the purpose I needed at the time and gave me 450,000km of reliability.

Tesla isn't for me - I've tried to like them but when I'm parting with €60k+ on a car I couldn't justify it on something that I don't like the look of or can't get comfortable sitting in.

Maybe I'll take the i4 for a spin and won't like it and will have to start from scratch again .. or hold on to the 330e for a few more years.

• Advertisement

Snide ignorant comment, but if it makes you feel good then grand

The thing is the i4 on this thread highlighted as having major compromises- two of which is a the central rear tunnel making third rear seat uncomfortable and lack of rear legroom space - and its implied that these wouldn't be an issue if it was built on a dedicated platform.

In reality your Taycan has about the same interior space, also comes with a large rear tunnel, has a smaller boot than the BMW and yet is considerably larger all round. One could claim that that car is clearly compromised but clearly Porsche didn't set out to make the ultimate practical EV. In reality BMW have arrived at a similar place as Porsche without having to invest in a dedicated platform and that no doubt has kept the cost down while meeting the brief that BMW had for the car

No, the Ioniq isnt a full size bigger just because the wheelbase is longer. Anybody who has any experience of these cars will say the Citroenn feels much larger, has massive of legroom front and rear, seats 7, and has a massive boot compared to the Ioniq- yet it fits it all into length and width that is small than the Hyundai. Dont believe the marketing, actually try out the car if you dont believe me

snide ignorant comment? Grow up, you claimed people were missing the point, so did I, we just disagree on who that is.

If someone built an ICE car that had half the boot space taken for batterys it didnt need but the space was used anyway because they had an EV variant as well would you not say that car was compromised ?

And im not sure why we are comparing the i4 to a taycan its not really analogous.

Porsche built the taycan from the ground up to be what they wanted it to be, BMW fit the I4 around a platform that didnt allow them the same scope. No one is saying the I4 is a bad car but it could have been better, same as the mercedes EQC and other cars that are sharing non ev specific platforms. Im not sure why anyone would argue anything to the contrary. Maybe you dont care but thats not the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Indeed, look dont get me wrong not trying to piss on anyone's chips, but there is always some factor that makes us compromise on any purchase. What I dont like is when people buy a lovely car like the i4 feel the need to explain and defend any failings as their preference. No frunk - I dont need a frunk. Ice platform - I like transmission tunnels they make me feel at home.

The i4 is a lovely expensive quality car that any owner should be proud to own. No need to argue away the faults or ignore the competition.

In my opinion as a previous Tesla owner, tesla have been caught up with if not overtaken in many aspects. Their design language is missing, they are not nice looking cars, and their ubiquity make them boring. They drive fairly poorly too, like driving with a condom on your hands. They do however have great software, a good dedicated charging infrastructure (for now) and plenty of practicality. I sold my tesla because it was missing that thing that made me want to drive it.

Yeah....no....see I sit low to the ground in the Taycan and it looks amazing ( and by virtue of sitting in it I too look awesome 😁). Low and sleek. I didn't get a cross tourismo cause I think they look like a hearse, so obvious practicality is not my chief concern. . There is a rear hump but not a tunnel but the taycan has a transmission on the rear so needs that, it was not built to save money it was built to drive well. Nothing is there without that reason, nothing is missing without that reason. Its not a perfect car either. I cannot agree that BMW have arrived at a similar place, unless you define that place as launching a mass production EV.

Look you want to play the interior space game then the tesla model 3 has you beat. Want to play the handling and looks game Audi and porsche have you beat. I4 not the fastest, the longest range, best driving, best value for money...its a master of none. But its a overall very good car, but a lot of people seem to only have the requirement that it is not a tesla and costs more than 60k and less than 90k.

Stop trying to make it all thing to all men. There is no need to fanboy, the **** out of it, its still better than 99% of cars on the road. Dont be like tesla loonies, as a BMW fan myself I expect better from us.

Post edited by Fitz II on

To be clear when I say BMW arrived at the same place I’m not for a second saying the i4 is as good as the Porsche, I’m just taking about the space element really - they both were built to a brief, that didn’t involve having a massive space fit for a large family. Building the i4 on a dedicated platform would not have fixed the space / practicality issues, for most owners/ potential owners of both Taycans and i4’s having tonnes of space is not the primarily requirement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Whatever about the merits and disadvantages of BMW choosing to share platforms between ev and combustion models, the i4 is proving to be a success judging by demand.

my pal ordered yesterday and given a delivery date of February/March 2023.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

Mine is showing status 182 so I'm hopeful to have it within 2-3 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭v10

Lots of talk about the Taycan.. did anyone consider the e-tron GT ?

Advertisement