Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

I'll admit that the lulz is a part of it but just a tiny part. The guy has charisma even if he lacks charm. He is entertaining. News outlets like CNN did their best business and highest viewers whenever his name was mentioned. His supporters and his enemies were all drawn to him like drug addicts. Yes, it was entertaining. I would say the same thing about 9/11 - doesn't mean I support 9/11 or thought it was funny - I just mean it was capitivating. Biden.......not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,442 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Politics is very different from electrical repair. Otherwise someone like Kamal Harris wouldn't be doing it.

I think we can all agree that if the system worked as it was intended to, Trump would not have been within an a$$'s roar of the White House. I think it should the disillusionment with a rotten, corrupt system, that people still felt that voting for Trump was a better option. It's not that Trump was qualified, competent or ready to be President. It's that the alternatives were too depressing that people voted for him. I mean anyone who voted for Biden but now worries about his cognitive decline deserves everything they get. It was plain as day on the campaign trail that he had lost his marbles. I'd love to know what combination of drugs they gave him to get him through the debates because it worked and he wasn't embarrassed.

And I disagree, politics is reality TV. It is showbiz for ugly people. It's why Ronald Reagan was president for 8 years. Schwarzenegger. Jesse the Body Ventura. None of these people were particularly qualified either. Enda Kenny was a primary school teacher. There are no professional qualifications to be a politician. All you need is a set of principles and an ability to communicate and connect with voters, which Trump had.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Christy42

Trump is very much pro political correctness. As are his supporters and people you mentioned like Orban. They want to change who gets protected by political correctness but it is the same thing. People were all over Biden for saying that Putin shouldn't remain in power. Not because they didn't believe it but because it wasn't politically correct. Orban and many others that Trump admires have stymied the press in their countries from saying anything they don't deem politically correct.

Republicans called for a boycott of Hamilton due to the actors saying things they deemed not politcally correct. Trump himself spearheaded multiple boycotts for companies that didn't agree with him. I mean the boycotts never got public support but he tried. Trump didn't believe it politically correct to kneel for the anthem.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Detritus70

"Trump was the better option".

He never was and never will be and morons who think he is, are what's wrong with the world.

I'm not a politician, I don't have to build bridges, I can call it as I see it. Sounds familiar?

"I'm not a Trump supporter, but..." is the new "I'm not a racist, but...".

• Advertisement

How staggeringly disingenuous. OK so you are re-defining political correctness to how you see fit. I think most reasonable people can agree on what political correctness really is.

It's like saying climate change is nothing new, because the climate changes every day. Some days it rains, some days it is sunny. Nothing to do with humans.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

And I find that those like yourself who blindiy follow establishment politicians in the hope that somehow they have your best interests at heart are unfortunately typical of the blind liberal nativity that has infested Irish society and board for the based few decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,539 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

So, give us your definition of political correctness. And how preventing the use of the term 'climate change' in, for example, documents published by the US Department of Agriculture under Trump https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/aug/07/usda-climate-change-language-censorship-emails isn't political correctness taken to the extreme?

Yes, he was.

I fail to see the merits of the likes of Hillary Clinton and Joe Biden. They are like Merkel, they are somehow seen as a safe pair of hands, the image of being sensible, until you look at their track records.

I'll copy/paste from Wikipedia and say I think it broadly gives an accurate description of what most people consider to be political correctness:

Political correctness (adjectivally: politically correct; commonly abbreviated PC) is a term used to describe language, policies, or measures that are intended to avoid offense or disadvantage to members of particular groups in society.

"Political correctness" is a label typically used to describe liberal terms and actions, but rarely used for analogous attempts to mold language and behavior on the right.

https://www.cjr.org/criticism/political-correctness-journalism.php?curator=MediaREDEF

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,312 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

A "blind liberal nativity"...that would certainly be a new take on the usual Christmas time play.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Trump is a better option than Biden?? Jesus wept

So you've got fuck all, other than "he's not these people".

🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 19,716 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

"I mean anyone who voted for Biden but now worries about his cognitive decline deserves everything they get. It was plain as day on the campaign trail that he had lost his marbles. I'd love to know what combination of drugs they gave him to get him through the debates because it worked and he wasn't embarrassed."

Right so. You've gone from defending trump because of his policies to swallowing garbage debunked regularly on its very own thread here.

Is there no one that can debate and defend his achievements or otherwise?

• Registered Users Posts: 83,206 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

So basically you support an agenda to, offend, and disadvantage certain members or groups of society?

can I ask why?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

At the time of the general election it is a binary choice - Red or Blue with a potential option of abstention , so your argument above has an element of truth to it.

However, this ignores the choices made by the GOP themselves during the Primary process, during that phase those voters have many alternative options to choose from.

It's here where there are absolutely no excuses for choosing Trump for any reason beyond actually liking who and what he is.

Every single one of the GOP candidates standing will be anti-immigration , anti-abortion , anti-LGBTQ , Pro Guns and Pro God.

Those are table stakes requirements for any GOP election prospect.

So again we come back to - Why do the GOP voters continue to see Trump as their leader and their best shot at winning in 2024?

It's got absolutely ZERO to do with Policy differences between him and any other GOP candidate, because there really aren't any - Mainly because Trump doesn't have any policies other than talking crap and petty revenge.

A Trump Presidency in 2024 would just be a hate filled vitriolic revenge tour as he works to destroy everyone he believes has not shown sufficient fealty to him

• Registered Users Posts: 40,442 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I guarantee I would still end up as the wise man who brings in the myrrh. didnt even get to be the innkeeper.

Welcome to the thread. I'm trying to explain to some people why voters would vote for Trump. And that is one of many reasons.

And vice versa. Who could feel passionately about the virtues of Hillary Clinton or Joe Biden? The dribbling narcoleptic geriatric president is a laughing stock and an embarassment.

You have completely failed to "to explain to some people why voters would vote for Trump" other than the fact that Trump worshippers choose him cos he's not the other guy.

Trump was the one who launched a global anti-homophobia drive. Not Obama. Trump. By contrast, his predecessor was openly against gay marriage until the wind changed and he realised it would be a no-brainer for his ratings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,539 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

What're you referring to? Something that Trump might've said at the UN? And, as the WaPo pointed out, actions speak louder than words. Especially in the case of Trump.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2020/08/24/absurb-claim-that-trump-is-most-pro-gay-president-american-history/

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Let's break this down a bit shall we.

Trump Support in the 2016 Election cycle :-

I think most people here can understand how US voters might have arrived at the decision to vote for Trump. He was making big promises , he wasn't a Bush or a Clinton or one of their wider political entourage and so on. He very much had the element of "Give it a shot , he couldn't be much worse than the the rest" going for him.

So , I don't agree with the choice they made , but I can see the path they took to get there.

Trump Support in the 2020 Election cycle :-

Now we start to get into a more difficult scenario. We had 4 years of rank incompetence from him along with scandal after scandal. He delivered virtually nothing tangible in terms of Policy Agenda despite having full control for the 1st two years in Office. And that's before we get to the utterly staggering sh!t show that was his response to Covid.

Questions have to be asked why the GOP stuck with him despite his clear and obvious issues, but given that he was the incumbent it may have been more problematic for them to ditch him , but still..

Trump Support today :-

Now we are firmly into the territory of utterly inexcusable.

He is a criminal , we now clearly know that he committed criminal acts as he attempted to overthrow a legal election result. He continues to cheat and lie on a daily basis about this same Election. He effectively commits acts of sedition virtually every day

There is a mountain of evidence to show that he has been committing criminal acts his entire life as he fiddled his taxes and lied to investors and insurers and many others in order to personally profit.

And yet , the GOP still bow down to him and should he choose to stand he is almost certain to win the 2024 GOP Presidential nomination when with even a modicum of spine they could off-load him and select any number of others as their nominee - Keep in mind that most polling shows that a "generic Republican" is polling better against Biden than Trump right now.

So , The question remains.

Right here , Right now why do people still support Trump and more importantly , why do the GOP themselves do the same?

It's not "policy".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭Cody montana

If you think trump is a friend of the gay community, you need your head examined.

Only via manufactured optics. Refer back above to the actual optics, and hate crime wave. At Mar A Lago this week Trump was making himself the center of attention when he asked where the Lincoln Log Republicans were in his crowd. They said "Here we are!" and Trump replied back "You don't look gay?" Everyone laughed at the joke. So obviously there's no homophobia in America anymore.

It's true - I asked them and they confirm that yes, he is a friend of the community.

See, some people would read that and think it's a light hearted moment, a quip, a laugh and everyone is OK.

But other sad, bitter people read it and only think "homophobia".

Personally, I know which world I would want to live in.

That, wasn’t what I was getting at, but sure. If I was trying to spin it like that, I wouldn’t have disclosed it was delivered as a joke. But I guess I also must acknowledge, some people would also read that and just think ‘TL;DR’

By all means be the change you want to see 🤛 while still living in the reality we actually live in, based on like facts and stuff incl. hate crime statistics.

See the hate crime statistics are what I have a problem with, specifically:

1. How a hate crime gets defined is very subjective
    2. If a crime happens to involve a gay victim, is that a hate crime or just an unfortunate coincidence
    3. The link from the President of the US is almost non-existent. E.g. did the hate crimes just stop since Biden took over? Or are we just not hearing about it anymore? Same deal with "kids in cages"

• Advertisement

How is how a hate crime gets defined, subjective, and if it is subjective, what approach should be taken to write hate crime laws?

Hate Crime Acts: 18 US Code § 249.

The POTUS also just signed the Emmett Till Anti-Lynching Law, for a fresh example. This is an amendment to 249 to include the offenses of (5) LYNCHING and (6) OTHER [hate crime] CONSPIRACIES. The bill is H.R. 55 Emmett Till Antilynching Act, 117th Congress.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement