Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Why KIA are the new Toyota.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Killer K

Can't comment on Kia/Hyundai's that are now ten years old but the anti perforation warranty period for all current Kia models is 144 months (12 years) /unlimited mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Subject to having a main dealer inspection at 12 month intervals for the duration which basically nobody has because Irish people cant wait to leave the dealer network.

You couldn't even blame people for leaving the Hyundai/ Kia dealer network though.

Yeah, don't get the rush away from the dealer network. Have had my last two cars and will have current serviced at the main dealers. Can decide to have any additional work that is identified done there or get it priced elsewhere if quotation is high.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,074 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Pretty slick for an old car

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Indeed. With a lot of brands it doesn't actually make a lot of sense to leave the network but the Koreans have got aftersales arseways.

A full service on a diesel Kona is €410, genuine front brake pads and discs fitted is €515.

A full service on a T-Roc by comparison is €299 and front brake pads and discs €249.

Madness, Ted, how nobody has had a look at that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,890 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

€410 to service a kona, that can't be right. You'd want to be stone mad to pay those prices. And people give out that German stuff is expensive to maintain

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭eggy81

What’s your favourite car you’ve driven yourself so far? Are you driving a sportage now as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭kirving

You want to maintain the long warranty - you don't have much of an option.

And yes the original warranty is supposed to be valid if you go to an indy - but it's up to the owner to prove that the indy did in fact put 5W30 into the car and didn't mix it up, which is nigh on impossible.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

My 2007 Sorrento rear axle rotted to the extent that it had to go to the Kia graveyard. There was a warranty recall on them for rear axles but mine was outside the extended warranty period.

My old Rio had to get 2 sills welded due to massive holes in them - it was only around 6 years old at the time.

Ive seen Santa Fes with front shock mounts - the actual chassis leg rot right through and the shock damage the bonnet.

Ceed rear screens fall out due to rust under the seal.

They really do struggle with rust!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

This thread started a little early, but today is the today for it. Mercedes 200s from a few years back can have subframe rust issues, but at least it's fixed for nothing by the MB dealer (and provided garage assertions that the car has another issue, which was caused by their carelessness, are ignored). I don't know if Toyota quality is rooted in the traditional Japanese respect for craftsmanship (which Nissan seems to have forgotten), but Toyota at least still shames the Korean cars, and obviously Mercedes and BMW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,890 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

If your going to spend money on high maintenance costs at least buy a decent car and not waste it on a horrible kia or hyundai

• Registered Users Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

There is nothing horrible about them. In fact I can not think of many or any modern horrible cars on sale in Ireland just some boring ones and life is too short for boring.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭goochy

irish people couldnt be rushing away from main dealer networks with kias and hyundais and there 7/5 year warranties .

Theres no way either brand are covering all they are supposed to be covering under warranty if joe public is getting car serviced / repaired at his local garage - i dont care what EU block exemption rules were brought in.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,410 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

This,

I wouldn’t have a breeze what a Kia is like inside as I could never get past the fûcked laziness of the ugly design of those things.

one of their SUVs the Sportage simply looks like whoever designed it said… “ let’s make it look like a cheaper Tuscon “.

Ms

In the process of doing it they actually made it better than the current Tucson but its really down to your preference and what you like. They re both good cars but the Sportage is certainly the better car inside.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

I'd be inclined to lump Kia and Hyundai into the one for the most part. Looks wise in my eyes they have generally tended to be inoffensive to me. Anytime that it seemed that they try to get a bit edgy with their designs such as the original Hyundai Coupe, I40, Optima I may have looked at them initially and said hmm, that's a bit different. But they aren't very timeless or even graceful looking and tend to age very quickly. The I40 in particular looks pretty dated in my eyes considering it was released in 2011. That Kia EV6, hardly offensive looking at the front, could be any other modern SUV but horrendously flabby and silly looking rear, that won't age well I suspect.

Body styling wouldn't be high up my list of priorities when it comes to cars though. Build quality, longevity and ease of ownership would be high up there though and I just feel Kia or Hyundai don't fare well in these categories, albeit based on anecdotal evidence from online or speaking to people in person who have owned them. Cousin had a Sonata which was a basket case with the rust. It wasn't extremely old when the rust sent it to the crusher. An ex work colleague had an I40 that gave him nothing but trouble. I was in the back of another ex work colleagues Kia Soul once. Smacked of very poor build quality, cheap materials and tinny. Looked a bit silly too. Aim was likely to look different but a good example of where different doesn't always mean good.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭coolbeans

I get the impression that AMKC's Dad does the driving and that they're merely a passenger.

I’d doubt there’s even an L plate on it. Never driven a car I’d say.

• Advertisement
    Ms

Ha. You are wrong there. I have driven many a car. I learned to drive in a Peugeot 306 done my 10 lessons in it and boy could that go around corners lol. Just a pity it had a crappy dash. Nice steering wheel do for its time.

Never needed an L plate or a stupid N plate. Yes I have been off the road for a little while but will be back on it again soon :)

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ha ha. I had a feeling you weren’t driving of late. Anything nice in the pipeline.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Central locking on a Renault 19 was kind of pointless as the door locks used to fail the first sign of frost, their electric windows and sunroofs were well known for opening and staying open. 90s Renaults were awful,

Ms

Never happened to the Uncles 19. He must have got lucky or he would not have bought a Megane after that.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

It's a dam pity why the new Optima aka K5 as well as the Hyundai Sonata and Elantra do not come here just look at them stunning cars.

A great piece here on KIA and Hyundai this,

just listen to that bit at 2mins 42 seconds. 3rd after two of the biggest most prestigious German brands is Kia. Beat that Toyotafan boy?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Well if youtuber Scotty Kilmer says so then it must be true. 🤣

Thankfully this thread can be closed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

His popularity is so hard to understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Think David Hasselhoff with Germans.

It is all in the way he moves those arms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

That Sonata is a thing of beauty. Everyone should aspire to own one.

Advertisement