Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas price to rise by 39% and Electric by 27% in April.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

I'm with SSE, im expecting my kwh usage for the year to be around 410 euro ex VAT, so about 50 in tax, i get 30% discount so i reckon it will be a 20% rise, so about 80 quid, the government will be taking another 10 quid on top of that. Not sure how much the rural standing charge will be shooting up.

I guess if someone has never switched they can totally nullify the rise by switching with a 33% discount.

Not looking forward to refilling the oil next winter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

I would think it may still be worth exploring the option for some. If they have a supply or access to good quality timber or reasonably priced coal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,906 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

This post is depressing but spot on at the same time.

Look at alternatives.. but only ones we've "approved" for you to use so that greater control over behaviour can be exerted.

It's like this...

Electricity customers face paying up to 50pc more for power at peak times under plans to limit the impact of the energy crisis.

The move is being considered by the Government and the energy regulator in response to soaring gas and electricity prices.

Almost 750,000 households where smart meters have been installed could be put on mandatory new ‘time of use’ tariffs.

Data protection issues currently require customers to consent to these tariffs as smart meters log household activity, and only around 10pc have made the switch.

Energy Minister Eamon Ryan said he was talking to the Data Protection Commissioner about dropping the requirement for consent.

“Such is the urgency and such is the benefit, we are going to look at that being mandatory and using an opt-out rather than a voluntary approach,” he said.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/peak-time-energy-price-could-be-50pc-higher-under-new-plan-to-tackle-spiralling-crisis-41509062.html

Translation: Not enough of you have switched onto the tariff that will give us greater control over how much you pay/use, so we're going to try and force you to - even if it means violating the same rules that we'll throw back at you when we're asked uncomfortable questions!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Yup.. I had one of these "smart" meters installed by the ESB last year but looked at the tariffs and saw no benefit for me in it so stayed on my existing plan

If Ryan has his way, I'll be moved over to the new rates anyway (unless I can indeed opt out) and if he's later questioned about how much the companies have made as a result, you can sure he'll hide behind data protection and "commercial sensitivities".

The most galling thing about it is many people have bought into this nonsense that castigating ourselves in Ireland will somehow save the planet while Putin wages war and the US, China and others do whatever they want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Mine was recently installed and Electric Ireland emailed me yesterday urging me to switch so they could share "energy saving insights" with me. 🙄😂 I asked another Boardsie about it and was given a link to a thread here. The smart meter rates are a joke, especially when compared to a standard day/night meter for those who have one.

I'll be opting out as well, but I'd imagine they'll change the standard tariff rates to get us all.

Sadly I think you're right. It might sound like a conspiracy theory but the EU and the Green agenda increasingly seems to be more about disenfranchising citizens and taxpayers for some notional sense of "doing the right thing" and solidarity.

Look at how so many things have moved to a subscription model - including property if you include renting. Before long we won't be able to own anything or decide very much ourselves. But don't think about that - here's the next social media culture war to distract you!

Some positive news. The latest Airtricity increase is solely on unit rate and will not be applied to the standing charge. I recently switched to them and rang up to cancel within the cooling off period and got a €50 credit out of them for staying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,443 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Which the hysterics banned of course during covid. The paranoid climate cult can barely decide which control freak useless measures they prefer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Yep they are after increasing! what an apsolute pack of cnuts. Only a few weeks after signing up with the shower.

• Advertisement

Don't feel bad though, SSE, Energia and Electric ireland are all really close on price anyways. Depending on your usage you might be up or down a little bit on the other 2. Iberdola look a lot cheaper but they will rise. The big saving is from switching.

There's a thread here somewhere on Iberdrola and the wisdom would be to steer well clear.

Some interesting reviews here.

https://m.facebook.com/Iberdrolaireland/reviews/

Post edited by Cape Clear on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

It doesn't really matter who your supplier is, we all pay the same effective unit rate of electricity, the only way your price differs is in how much profit you give to a particular company

• Hey lads, some possibly very stupid questions here but I am not domesticated.

Our heating is oil so I guess not much that can be done there.

Rang up my landlord there and he said the electricity is with Electric Ireland which we have had for years with no contract and said he would be happy to switch it as long as I did the investigation.

Whats my best bet to go on Bonkers.ie and investigate?

This wouldn't effect the € 200 credit we are due to get?

Sorry, I am a real idiot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

Coal has trebled on the commodity market.

Last August it was trading about $100 a ton with exchange rate at 1.20

It went over $400 earlier this month but has come back to about $280

That's before shipping and bagging and distribution and carbon tax and vat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

Switch to either energia or airtricity and then switch again next April and again the following April

It takes a couple of minutes online

• Just did a quick check and Energia seem to do the best deal, € 315 off over the year.

Does this sound about correct?

• Does anybody know what exactly the include cash back option involves?

Clicking yes gives me a cheapest option with IBERDROLA with an annual saving of 438.94

Clicking no gives me a cheapest option with Energia with an annual saving of 316.09.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Just wondered if anyone is having difficulty logging in to their Electric Ireland account online? Been trying all day, keep getting "error please try again"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭sully123

Doesn't it just show you how much you will save when the welcome cash back bonus is applied? I don't know why you would not want to consider that as part of the overall price.

I'm also seeing iberdrola as the by far the cheapest option, but I might disregard their price as they are one of the only ones not to have announced a price hike in the last couple of weeks. So I expect they will announce very soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ForestFire

If people have the possibity to submit their meter readings to their provider.....

Would not be a good time to mistake a digit or two and front load a load on units into this bimonthly bill before the increase hits?🤔

Post edited by ForestFire on

If I'm not mistaken metres will be read prior to the price increase. As it is they are usually read 4 times a year where there isn't access issues.

Are you picking the option to use the national average? Include cashback is an option to include the deals on the comparison site that offer money back as well as the discounted rate ones.

How many of you in the house? Cashback can be cheaper if you are low usage users, if you aren't sure how much you use you could ask you landlord to have a look how much you use in a year, if that's too much hassle stick with a discounted rate.

Energia looks the cheapest, i agree with above leave iberdrola alone (just guessing)

One downside of cashback at this time of year is you get the cash going into summer, when your oil bill is low, if you aren't good at budgeting you will be getting higher electricity bills with a higher tariff and higher usage come winter and have to pay for oil.

I heard someone in the media say your credit will go to the company you are with on 29/03/2022 but they are obliged to refund you if you switch provider so it will be safe, might just be a bit of a delay getting it. (although you will have to settle the final bill so that will help towards that)

• Cheers thanks.

There is 4 of us in the house with 3 WFH full time so wouldn't say we would br that low in usage.

Cheers for all tips everyone. I will text him in the morning and say we will go with Energia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,151 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Cheers, when would you expect that to happen? I genuinely can''t recall the last time mine was read.

Cost of living increases and housing now (unsurprisingly) the biggest issues for people, overtaking things like the war in Ukraine and resettling refugees, Covid and any Green agenda..

The cost-of-living crisis is now by far the standalone issue of public concern, with two-thirds (65pc) of people declaring it the most important matter facing the country, according to a Sunday Independent/Ireland Thinks opinion poll.

Anxiety over price rises has increased by a significant 11 points in a month, relegating other issues such as housing (37pc), healthcare (25pc) and the war in Ukraine (20pc) in importance.

The level of concern over the war in Ukraine has fallen sharply in a month, with only 20pc of respondents naming it among the two biggest issues. This is down 20pc on the figure for the March poll.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/growing-public-alarm-over-spiralling-prices-as-living-costs-start-to-bite-poll-reveals-41515343.html

When something is replacing housing and health care as the top issue you know it's serious.

I think how the credit is to operate is set out on the citizens information vwebsite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭sully123

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Given the keenness by certain parties to hand out even more cash via a mini-budget, this written reply from Paschal on what can be done with VAT on energy is interesting. Our hands are tied to an extent for now.

Advertisement