Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭wassie

Those Ukraine chopper pilots would have had the adrenaline still pumping upon their return at a guess.....

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Still quite a slow reaction to the apparent attack in Russia

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

They Lost a few KA 52s as well over ukraine another Russian wonder weapon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Drone footage from around Hostomel airport:-

• Registered Users Posts: 18,516 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Overall, I think this is a good news story. The Ukrainian armed forces attacking a military target in Russia must be coming as a bit of a shock to those people devouring the nightly Kremlin propaganda on state TV i.e. how can this be even happening after six weeks of the invasion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Field east

Is it not more than likely that there was an accident - we saw the flames - and we saw a video of a heli leaving. So do we put two andtwo together and get ‘ it was caused by Ukr. How come that there was a fellow on standby ‘ at that hour of the morn to take the video and there was on one manning an anti air missile to fire it. Unless Ukr want to expand the war I think that it was a very very high risk thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

To put this bluntly enough - in cases where the USA can apply political pressure to prevent some other countries paying for commodities and services in Rubles, I'll be happier than the case where they applied no political pressure to any country to refrain from doing so. And in cases where the USA can apply sanctions to Russia, I'll be happier than the case where no sanctions were applied. Would I be even happier, still, if the USA got every single country to stop using any Rubles for transactions and if the USA banned all Russian imports? Sure I would, but I understand that this probably is not going to happen because of the need to also manage domestic and foreign affairs. The hypocrisy of any country is just something I have to put on the back burner of concern for now, and talk of it seems like a way to make this all about something other than Russia bombing the crap out of Ukraine because of one man's twisted worldview.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Another interesting take on current mood in Russia. Basically, "it'll be back to normal in a few months" seems to be the prevailing mood.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

There are a couple of videos of the attack but the one I saw had two choppers definitely firing rockets and then subsequent explosions on the ground. It was definitely an attack by helicopters just up now we didn't know whose.

As for escalating the war, they've been attacked and invaded by Russia with indiscriminate shelling and bombing of civilian areas how much more can the war be escalated. An attack on a fuel depot does not clear the way for a nuclear retaliation.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

In relation to the heli attack. Smart PR if true.

• Advertisement

If you go into indian news channels comment sections,you will see a wide support for Russia by Indians.

They keep forgetting that China is their Neigbour and they are part of QUAD,the asian NATO.

If China was Russia and Pakistan was Belarus,i think they would get the picture

• Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭thomil

If those Mi-24s stayed really close to the ground, as in treetop height, they could very easily have disappeared in the ground clutter that is filtered out by most modern radar systems. The Hind is quite a bit faster than most western attack helicopters and its attack profile is more reminiscent of the Sturmoviks attack aircraft of old rather than the loitering & pop-up tactics that the likes of the AH-64 are designed for. Unless you have a MANPADS on your shoulder when one of these things roars over you at treetop height, it'll likely be obscured by trees, houses or other ground clutter by the time you're ready to take a shot. It doesn't seem unlikely at all in my eyes for Ukraine to be able to pull off such an attack.

As for expanding the war, how would they do that? They already have been invaded along almost their entire northern and eastern borders, there's not much more areas where they can expand any conflict. In addition, a fuel storage site is a valid and reasonable military target, especially given its location in one of the marshalling areas for the invasion. Disrupting the enemy's supply lines is always the right thing to do.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Crocodile Booze

India is already a septic tank of a country with hundreds of millions of souls living in third-world filth. I can't see that improving if they align themselves with the Russians. There must be money to be made for the mega-rich minority. Horrible world we live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭circadian

Most of their military gear is Russian made, although they've started buying some US made gear in more recent years. I'd say they're definitely getting a little worried considering sanctions will result in reduced ability to provide maintenance materials for all this. I wouldn't be surprised to see Pakistan announcing another arms deal with the US in the next few months considering how awful the Russian equipment has performed.

If Modi was any use, and it appears he isn't particulary clever, he'd be looking at ways of cutting ties with the Russians.

Interesting documetary regarding one of russias elite units suffering in Ukraine and how russians in general reacted to it.

Its not just a war on the battlefield,its an information war as well

The commander in his speech at the funeral of one of his fallen soldiers,said he died to protect Russia against Nazis??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

What he actually meant was, he was a Nazi fighting for Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭jmreire

Reminds me of the attack the US organized on Japan immediately after Pearl Harbour. It was totally unexpected, just as the Japanese attack had been, and was just a foretaste of what was to come down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

I think the assumption in the west was that the Ukraine would lose, relations would resume with Russia slowly and in a few years time it'd be half forgotten. Now the outcome is not a foregone conclusion so in the west people think there needs to be a compromise, even though Russia is 100% wrong and Ukraine 100% right. I'm not sure they are keen to give up very much, even if they were defeated militarily as a people they'd still not surrender, they'd continue to fight in some way.

I think Miriam's questioning reflects the assumption that were widely shared until very recently, basically that Russian triumph was inevitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,824 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Modi is buying lots of Russian oil at 35 to 45 dollars a barrel. Edit. 15 million offered at 35 and current 6 mill barrels is at a 30 dollar discount to Brent.

6 million barrels on the move already, about 3 times the last year's purchase of oil from Russia.

Modi will be looking at deepening ties to Moscow and taking full advantage. The Indians are backing Russia in all of this and that's popular on the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭seenitall

Yes, but the culture was different. The western world was a far more hardship-laden, serious and a far less frivolous place. I bet they not only had more confidence in the truthfulness of their media, but that they were more justified in having it, certainly comparing to the standards of today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Heraclius

Surprised they aren't realising that if Russia ends up beholden to China then their main arms supplier and their regional rival will be on the same team.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Hardly recent information. Perhaps you were unaware of earlier histories of the subject. For example, in his memoirs written 1992, the Task Force commander said:

I think the aspect of [my] book which most surprised my editors and publishers was the inescapable conclusion that, one way and another, it was a bit of a close call. There have been those who went as far as to describe Britain’s battle to recover the Falkland Islands as “A damned close run thing”, as the Duke of Wellington was moved to do after Waterloo. I don’t go quite that far - but like the late but timely arrival of Blucher’s Army, there were several critical turning points which could have gone either way. Most of them, I was glad to note at the time, turned in our favor,

lt should also be recalled that there were several entirely competent organizations which initially suspected the whole operation was doomed. In no particular order they were:

a) The United States Navy, which considered the re-capture of the Falkland Islands by British forces alone to be a military impossibility.

b) The Ministry of Defense in Whitehall, which assessed that a tolerable air situation could not be achieved and that therefore the battle could not be won.

c) The Army, which considered it to be ill-advised, for lack of a 'proper' advantage ration in land force numbers.

d) The Royal Air force, which, seeing little role for themselves on account of the vast distances, and no chance of a navy surviving in the face of an air force, was inclined to agree

e) The Secretary of State for Defence, Mr (Now Sir) John Nott, who firstly represented the views of his ministry, and possibly also since success in it would probably overturn his 1981 defense review

By that time, also combined with information coming from the Argentine side, such as Middlebrook's book in English published 1989, it was very clear that several small decisions or pieces of luck made a significant outcome in the difference (eg Argentine mechanic getting the arming wires crossed in one of their submarines resulting in dud torpedoes being fired). However, on the other hand, Napoleon said he wanted lucky generals. In reality, that means a force best able to make the most of the opportunities presented to it, which in this case, was the very well-trained British.

It would be a real shame if the Indian outsourcers found themselves on the wrong side of sanctions. How many jobs and from Indian standards high paying ones are reliant on the outsourcers in India? Modi could be very shortsighted with this because the West can hurt India significantly if he's not careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Drexel_3

Has gas to Europe been turned off yet? Have countries paid in Rubles? Bluff?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,889 ✭✭✭✭josip

The West is reliant on cheap Indian IT labour however. Even more so than Russian gas.

Yes and India are reliant on the West to provide these jobs. Its a two way street and if Modi pushes his luck he could very well have a lot more than he bargained for. That cheap Russian oil could end up being very costly indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,516 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

This seems to tie in with the state propaganda. "We're not actually at war and we're fully in control of everything". The way that people seem to swallow everything they are told by the Kremlin without question is certainly a sight to behold.

Excactly,and with the sanctions now,and Russia looking for help from China,means they Russia would probably end up in Chinas pocket,and offcourse China would take advantage of this vs India.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,345 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Here's an interview with a Russian field commander abiut their culinary situation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

If, as people claim, Putin is playing 4D chess, it is clear India plays 1D chess.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement