Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

I guess Russians are atleast helping the Ukrainian farmers,not only with supplying them with armoured vehicles,but also vermin control.

I dont know which is worse,the four legged rats or the tow legged ones from Kremlin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Obviously they have nuclear power which they could deploy, but is there any path to victory for them now short of using that, which is a massive risk for them too.

Ukrainian troops are more motivated, quite experienced, have home advantage and are going to keep receiving weaponry from abroad.

Can the Russians really defeat the Ukrainian people if their resolve to fight keeps up?

Have never been in a war zone, don't have any real knowledge of military tactics, so I don't know. But I often think of the difficulties the US had in Afghanistan, and in Ukraine the people are united behind their Government while many Afghans despised the Taliban. I also think of the North where a group as small as the IRA kept a struggle up against the British army for 25 years.

In the west I think everyone from Biden down expected this war to be over about a month ago, with a Russian puppet government installed by now. Could that still happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭victor8600

Putin is not playing "4D chess" or doing anything smart. Some people look for some deeper meaning, because "oh, he is a great leader, he must know what we don't, he is so smart". I have seen and talked to politicians. Some of them are very charming and charismatic. But being smart is not a requirement for a politician, it's the ability to sell your friends and lick correct arses that is needed.

Some people say that Putin is waging war because he wants to re-unite Ukraine with Russia into some kind of pseudo-USSR. That is all fluff, in my opinion. Ukraine is a country that can be plundered and it resources divided between oligarchs close to Putin, and this is a more plausible explanation for the war. That is what "denazification" Putin is talking about -- take all the resources from Ukrainians (="nazis") and give it to Russian capitalists. This is just an imperialist war of conquest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I find the idea(from other posts that you are referring to, not yours) of ukrainians having to restrain themselves in case of repracussions absolutely laughable. If someone invades your home, you have carte blanche as far as im concerned excluding murder of pows or other war crimes. They have the right to do whatever it takes and should if they are able.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭ARX

Will Russians get to hear about it though? I would imagine that if it appears on the news at all it will be presented either as a tragic accident or as a successful attack against Ukrainian forces. To what extent is the Kremlin able to keep a lid on this?

EDIT: never mind, I just read that Moscow has accused Ukraine of carrying out the attack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

It doesnt need to be and it would be a good thing if that avenue was cut off.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,824 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Unfortunately the West chose globalization and now has to accept that most of the world does not share it's values or go along with what it think is right.

For just starters India and China will be ignoring sanctions against Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Yeah, not to denigrate all Indian IT but no critical systems that I'm aware of are dependant on them or any specific nationality, most teams that I've worked in for quant finance systems for example, you will find it's almost like the UN, you will get every creed, race and nationality under the sun working in IT teams. The idea is to get the best from everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭circadian

This. They don't give a flying **** if they flatten the entire country as long as they hold control of the gas and oil, they'd probably be happy enough with an ongoing occupation/insurgency but I don't think it's played out that way. If they had done this in 2014 when the Ukrainian army was in disarray then it might have worked. They're now having to compete with a steady supply of modern weapons.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭KieferFan69

So what do people think will be the story in one month if you had to wager your house.

I think ‘peace deal’ and cessation of hostilities but then war again son time after

more detailed theories are welcom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,516 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Yes, it has been reported by the Russian media in fact. Lots of faux outrage about how it might stop the supposed "peace talks" from going ahead. I'd say there must be a fair few raised eyebrows in Russia though after people being told that the special operation was a big success.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Yep the 4th Guards Tank Division got their asses handed to them, lost a lot of tanks from their 228 Main battle tanks and a lot of armoured vehicles and by all accounts have been withdrawn back to Russia to be replenished.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 13,889 ✭✭✭✭josip

Everybody's opinions will be based on their own experiences I guess. My own experience is mixed, but I have encountered some extremely clever and capable Indian contractors.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭KieferFan69

What do we know about the Ukraine soldier casualties what are the estimates

whole thing is dreadful isn’t it

Actually not quite true.

Granted there are a lot of Indian IT workers out there and in particular it looks like the Middle East is full of them.

Coincidentally a lot of them want to get to Ireland.

But the West reliant on them ?

More worringly the West is far more reliant on getting shyte built in China because it is cheap.

It is time the West wakes up and starts reversing all the production in a probable enemy state.

The more the world goes on the more it stays the same.

A lot of major US & British industrialists were up to their necks in Germany and some rather liked old Adolf.

Hell it looked like they even wanted to keep doing business with him despite his warring ways.

They were involved with Germany because it made them money and they couldn't care less if he slaughtered Jews, homosexuals, political opponents, etc.

Likewise with all the Western multinationals to their necks in China. They couldn't care less.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

This is interesting. I'm reading 'Putin's People' at the moment, basically now Putin and his KGB gang, took over Russia and its resources after the USSR finished, and the jury is out for me as to whether Putin is smart. I'm not sure if this Ukraine invasion is all about resources either. If you watch the Oliver Stone interviews with Putin (on YT.. basically a puff piece of 'journalism from Stone), when you see a chirpy Putin suddenly go all dark and menacing when he talks about the millions of Russians 'locked' out of Russia after the USSR finished, you realise that he feels there's unfinished business to bring all those millions back into Mother Russia. There's a great piece by James Meek in the LRB about this back in January. Putin seems to believe a very flawed version of history.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,398 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

The amount of "off-shoring" disasters you'd hear about in industry would probably surprise most people. Management paying peanuts and then over the next year or two find out they are getting plenty of monkeys but not much work done.

Lots of Waffen SS/SS were to use the German term liquidated and I can foresee Wagner Group and Kardyrov's Chechen fighters meeting the same end.

They are very similar in lots of way and deserve the same end.

In fact if the Free Chechen fighters get their hands on Kadyrov's soldiers being shot would be the least of their worries.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

CNN op-ed on the influence of Western intelligence in presenting the Russian invasion as a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,908 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I presume opening up humanitarian corridors several times and then shooting up all the buses and vehicles that pass through them doesn't count . Or firing on cars on the highway with kids in them and when their occupants exit with their hands up screaming that there are elderly and kids inside gunning them down where they stand doesn't count.

The hole... At least they didnt dog ditches and put a bullet in everyone's head speeel doesn't really do it for me tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Oh man the stories I could tell out certain large Indian outsourcers. There is no way that companies save money by using them. The ones who do tend to suffer significant reputational damage from their customers if they have the outsourcers in customer facing roles.

Any client I've dealt with who have gone down the route of using Indian outsourcers for their IT have by in large had major buyers regret.

Post edited by gandalf on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,421 ✭✭✭corkie

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Ukrainian govt not confirming or denying that the helicopter attack on the oil depot was them while Russia saying it was them. Putin is on record a few weeks ago saying he would use nuclear weapons if Russia was threatened, things could really escalate now as he has his reason for using them.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Yes and between the covid pandemic and now this illegal war a lot of organisations are looking to pull their supply chain closer to the markets they serve. This is going to have serious implications for China and India yet they are cosying up to one of the catalysts of this change. Ironic isn't it.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Heraclius

It seems to draw an equivalence between NATO and Russia which isn't very accurate or fair. Only Russia invaded Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭zv2

I suspect the withdrawal from Kyiv is real enough. The increased shelling could be explained by the Russians using up ammo stocks or maybe just a parting blow.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

What else could the Russian invasion of Ukraine be defined as at this point than a disaster? Not only did the Russian military not make it to Kyiv in a few days, as some here were predicting, they never even got to the capital proper. They're even being pushed back, it seems. Have never been able to get air superiority. Have had several high-ranking officers killed (confirmed by both sides). Tanks getting milled out of it. Thousands of troops killed. Can't even take Mariupol fully after a month despite it literally being surrounded on 3 sides. Whatever way one talks it up or breaks it down, the invasion has decidedly not gone to plan. Yes, it is in Western interests to present the invasion as a disaster, but the point is that there's no shortage of material to this end.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,345 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

IMO any meaningful peace deal for the Ukranians has to involve rock solid security guarantees to ensure this never happens again. Otherwise they fight on...

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Unfortunately no one is willing to Stand up and guarantee their security ,nato membership is the only other option

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Yeah I think they are gonna need to blow up more than an oil depot for that to happen

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement