Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

As an offaly man, that day is burned into my psyche

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Wikidy

Jonny Bell returning as defence coach next season accorded to the Belfast Telegraph.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Is that good or bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭launish116

Always thought he was rated highly when previously here!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

I think its an excellent signing. Ulster man who has now accumulated good experience.

Looks promising considering the amount of young talented backs Bell will have at Ulster and that he has experience working with young players.

• Advertisement

Ulster team to play Vodacom Bulls, United Rugby Championship Round 15, Saturday 2 April at Loftus Versfeld Stadium, 1pm kick-off (UK / IRE time), live on SuperSport, Premier Sports & URC TV:

(15-9) Mike Lowry, Ben Moxham, James Hume, Luke Marshall, Ethan McIlroy, Ian Madigan, Nathan Doak;

(1-8) Andrew Warwick, Brad Roberts, Marty Moore, Kieran Treadwell, Iain Henderson (Capt.), Jordi Murphy, Nick Timoney, Duane Vermeulen.

Replacements: Tom Stewart, Eric O’Sullivan, Tom O’Toole, Mick Kearney, Matty Rea, John Cooney, Marcus Rea, Stewart Moore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

So. Throwing the game then. I'm in the Kintail and Knoydart wilderness of the North West Highlands in the second most remote 'village' of the country. The locals, (14 dwellings and 1 mansion..Skyfall of James Bond fame and the home of the young Ian Fleming ) have got themselves 5G internet but no phone signal on the 3 network. The scenery is monstrously awesome. Snow peaked mountains, blazing sunshine and crystal clear seas.

Post edited by jacothelad on

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

bulls are starting a few second string as well. Bookies only have the spread at 4 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I think it's a strong enough side.

Not much pace on the wings though and any Ulster team without McCloskey is weaker.

Other than LH and hooker that is pretty much our strongest pack.

Waste of time starting Roberts ahead of Stewart though. Stewart is a big big player in the making, but still a bit to learn in the scrum.

• Advertisement

Was thinking that also about Roberts. Starting to wonder is there an issue with Andrew? Moore has gone awol also!
    Stewart has looked very good!

Surely Declan Moore is just squad depth really. Hopefully as many minutes as possible for any backup hooker go to Stewart.

True, but with Roberts leaving you'd of thought he'd be at the back of the queue.

Roberts starting makes me think we only have Herring, Roberts, Stewart fit. Andrew had one of his best seasons last year and now he's dropped off a cliff.

Where as Moore was parachuted into a game, payed almost 80 mins never to be seen again. Actually thought he went ok, bar his darts.

I assumed Moore's loan deal has expired and he is back with Munster, and will then rejoin us for next season.

But he'll surely be behind Herring and Stewart and John Andrew as well. James McCormick looks a good prospect too so we'll see how it pans out for Moore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Declan Moore is with Ulster for the rest of the season and signed for the next season or two as well.

Without Declan, Munster still have 3 senior hookers and 1 academy hooker that will be senior next season, plus a new signing coming in for next season, Chris Moore, so looks like Kevin O’Byrne will not be staying on after this season, so Munster will have 4 senior hookers next season and a spot opening up for the academy.

Declan Moore may well be a good signing for Ulster, he just wasn’t getting a look in at Munster, not necessarily anything he was at fault for.

That's what I thought he should be about and surely in contention before Roberts, especially with him signed up for next season and Roberts leaving.

It's just been a very odd season for Andrew, makes me wonder is there an underlying issue.

As Bilston said Stewart should be priority ahead of Moore. But still think he deserved some more chances after his parachuted appearance. He's probably lucky contract wise U20s/McCormick didn't get a chance to high light his potential till the 6nations.

I do wonder our reliance on rolling maul is maybe hindering Moore, his darts were far from up to standard.

The thing is I think we're grand at hooker as well.

3 senior hookers in Herring, Andrew and Stewart, plus McCormick and Hanlon in the Academy. But it won't hurt our depth. But to me, in time, Stewart has the potential to be up there with the two Leinster hookers and I don't want to see his development minutes given to someone else unnecessarily.

To be fair I'm sure Dan and the lads know what they're doing! And Moore did OK in the game he played back in February or whenever it was.

Decent start

Putting the Bulls under a bit of pressure, but given the attitude we probably need to score early and get a lead up.

Scrum looks like it'll be a problem for us, especially when the subs come on.

Bulls reminding us what physicality is!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭Shehal

If ever there was an example of an own goal in rugby....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

First contact on the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

That's not a yc. That's plain wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 7,381 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Thought that should have been a penalty. First contact on ball, slips up high so penalty, nothing more.

This has been a rough watch, fairly poor from start to finish

Ulster were going nowhere there, intercept as telegraphed as they come.

I now know how the Welsh feel complaining about refs weekly!

Lack of go forward ball really didn't help!

Not sure we'll see Madigan again!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

So - team for the weekend?

1) Warwick

2) Herring

3) Moore

4) Henderson

5) O'Connor

6) Rea (jr)

7) Timoney

8) Vermeulen

9) Cooney