Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Russians finally getting across the river at Izyum is not news I wanted to see today. Success around Kiev is great though. Hopefully Ukraine can put some of the recently acquired Russian equipment to good use in the east.

While I'm seeing tanks, rocket launchers etc. are they acquiring much artillery units? The arrival of the American switchblade drones can't come quick enough.

Edit: I see the official number sent by the US is 100. I'm going to sound like Zelenskyy now and say could they not have sent more.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

If Russia go for Odessa in a few weeks you'll know they plan to keep going. Mariupol should be sorted by then. Time will tell. Its been half arsed so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Poland and Denmark both said they would be willing to be named as guarantor's for Ukraine in there peace talks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I'd say those Russians getting across the Izyum will die for from a dose of Ukraine soon enough. Those switchblades are going to be lethal as are some of the new tech beginning to arrive, but like the previous poster said, NATO needs to be sending them a lot more. And send it now.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Glenomra

Wonderful apt cartoon. Summarises the situation far better than the western media unfortunately has done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Some small normalities slowly returning to Kyiv

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭sjb25

Its more to do with not taking to many causualtys as you withdraw so shell thr sh1t out of them so they stay in cover and dont follow for a while as you withdraw

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

• Registered Users Posts: 3,598 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Maybe try Sly Stallone in goals or was that escape to victory?

🙈🙉🙊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Remarkable good faith there from the Russians indeed.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,135 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The Russians leaving Kyiv is good news, I guess, but part of me is worried that they may be just getting their troops out of the way before carpet bombing the place or, worse still, using some kind of WMD. I wouldn't trust them as far as I can throw them.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rustynutz

Does anyone else get the horrible feeling Russia is pulling its troops from around Kviv because they are planning a chemical or nuclear attack on the city? I really hope I'm wrong but from what we've seen of Putin he doesn't like to loose, and I definitely wouldn't put it past him.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,890 ✭✭✭✭josip

If the Ukrainians can get the Russians pushed back across the northern border, could they then mine the hell out of the first couple of kilometers of their border with Belarus so that they don't need so many troops to defend it and free up most of the troops for the east/south?

I hope they have already been using the past few weeks to mine every bridge and culvert on the rest of the Belarussian border ala the Swiss.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Polar101

Looks more like they were "encouraged" to leave by the Ukrainian counterattacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Is he going to launch something at Kyiv?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭brickster69

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭political analyst

Just because those Russians found that they were living in different countries after the Soviet Union collapsed it doesn't mean they're 'locked out'. They can go and live in Russia, can't they?!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭jmreire

Yes, but next time will be started by Ukraine....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

Russia: We have no plans to attack Kyiv with weapons of mass destruction

Ron Howard: Later that day, Russia attacked Kyiv with weapons of mass destruction

But in seriousness, the city of Kyiv itself is a place I understand Russians hold in high regard and think of it as the second city of the Slavic world, behind Moscow, and an historical centre of Slavic culture before Moscow even got going. The idea of bombarding Kyiv could be controversial for even the true blue supporter of Putin as it would potentially mean destroying some dear history. I don't know what the Irish equivalent would be.... Maybe like flattening Bundoran or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭JoChervil

That's what was found on dead Russian soldier

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

I wouldn't say it's laughable at all. Ukraine is extremely reliant on the humanitarian and military support being provided by the West. If Ukraine started unilaterally trying to escalate by e.g. mindlessly targeting civilian populations in Russia I suspect things would go very badly for Ukraine.

There is also public opinion within Russia proper which must have some bearing on how Putin and the Kremlin react. Dead Russian children plastered all over the TV is only going to bolster any real and tangible support for war. That kind of thing would make mass conscription much more palatable to the Russian population for example; and I suspect Ukraine wouldn't want that either.

Not to mention that the Russian forces actually on the ground might be much more inclined to actually fight inside Ukraine if Ukraine were targeting Russian towns and villages directly; again not a great thing for Ukraine who would much prefer fighting troops with low morale.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

If either of those things happen I reckon NATO will get involved and then any Russian within the borders of Ukraine would be fair game.

After Obama's red lines in Syria debacle the US will react in far more aggressive manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,680 ✭✭✭eire4

Makes sense although that might just further incentivize the Georgians to make a move to reclaim their territory from the Russian occupation.

I suspect it might be the Donbass War for the foreseeable future. Most action will be attrition based warfare along a single long front from Mariupol in the south up to Kharkiv in the north; or some variation thereof. Strikes behind Ukraine lines will be frequent and damaging; Ukraine won't be able to do the same behind Russian lines. Losses on both sides will likely be significant; but Ukraine will struggle against Russian air superiority. At some point Russia might achieve air supremacy over some key Ukrainian cities which would be a disaster and could force Ukraine's hand at any negotiations; but I hope that's less likely.

Just my idiot opinion. I sincerely hope we will have had a Russian withdrawal by then but I just don't see how that happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rustynutz

I agree, but a chemical or biological attack would not flatten the city

• Registered Users Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭jmreire

If push comes to shove, Putin does not need any reason to call a nuclear strike....one of his spokespersons has already said that Russia is not bound by any "First Strike " rules or international laws. It will evaluate threats as it sees fit, and react accordingly.( Nukes? ) And we have already seen an Israeli spokes person ( one who has always only posted positive articles / news etc. about Putin ) publicly stating that Putin HAS to achieve his Ukrainian targets, otherwise this will be considered as failure, and that will be an existential threat to Russia.

• Advertisement

Well it's pretty difficult to pick up helicopters flying low like that using radar; especially medium or long range radar.

It's also possible even if they were seen by local anti-air units that they may not have even considered they were Ukraine's helicopters; so they wouldn't have even tried to shoot them down.

Presumably any further helicopter incursions into Russian territory will be much harder; especially to the North where Russian helicopters aren't operating regularly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement