Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Magnum

Like many others in the Tipp DA I also got connected today with Vodafone. The lads at one stage were trying to work on 3 houses at the one time, busy boys. All is looking good so far .

First is the wired connection and second is wifi in the adjacent room to the router.

Still haven't managed to connect my Ring doorbell .....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

For those of you with the 1gbps packages, curious to know how many people are using Wifi 6 (ax) routers/access points... ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

i am using two ax routers, same room delivers roughly 900Mbps to compatible devices

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭baz9375

Anyone using Arden/Brisknet for FTTH on NBI?

How are they? any feedback on the service and customer support?

My first year is up with Digiweb and while I've had zero issues with them I'm looking to reduce costs now and Arden look to be the best value for what I'm looking.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭SW98

I initially contacted the DCCAE via email last October to get the premises reclassified and we're still no further on. A recent update from the DCCAE states that apparently our premises was added for reclassification too late to be within the first 4 batches of premises, which have been confirmed for reclassification. According to the DCCAE, we lie within the fifth batch of premises and this is where Open Eir stepped in and said that they will provide fibre to. The timeframe for this is unknown.

It's just crazy to think that none of the 14 houses on our cul-de-sac road are getting anywhere near the 30Mbps benchmark for NBI, yet only the 2 houses at the end of the road have the NBI fibre. The infrastructure is ready to go outside our gate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭SW98

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭trant

Does anyone know how the "customer escalation" process works with NBI? Contacted them on Twitter and the 'contactus@nbi.ie' email with no luck.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

What are you trying to escalate? NBI's customers are retail service providers, not end users.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

And they are a complete waste of time. They have a script to use and go off the same info on the website that we have.

If its a case of your house is outside the intervention, follow what some of the folk posted up above.

If its a case your unhappy with the wait time. Join the club :D

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

As for going off the same info on the website: would you prefer if they had secret information that they keep off the website and only shared with people who contact them directly?

As for your house being outside the intervention area: the intervention area is what they're contracted to work on. Getting your house into the IA isn't something they have any control over.

As for being unhappy with the wait time: what do you expect them to do about it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Who are you even talking to here? :D

If it was a reply to me,, I've no idea what Trant is trying to get in touch with them about. Just calling out a few points save him time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

That's some serious speed for WiFi....I myself have 2 Unifi U6 Lite's and have a never reached that speed topping out maybe 500mbps (only Wifi 6 device I have is a Samsung S20+). Are they 6E APs

I dont have them optimized for throughput like setting the channel width to max, just to have solid decent signal around the house and to hop to each one easy . I have actually 5 APs in my house and to be honest anything over 200-300 mbps is grand for wifi and is only used for web browsing anyway.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭trant

Correct, I'm stuck at "Pending Survey" and my area is due to go live starting in April. I'm trying to have them survey my premises so that I don't miss the first rollout.

I finally managed to get them to escalate internally by using the word "formal escalation/complaint" in an email.

The "customer escalation" process I'm referring to relates to the recent video on NBI's Twitter account which @clohamon posted the other day.

Post edited by trant on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭dam099

I've managed just above 800 on a U6 Lite in the same room (sometimes more like 500-600). I usually get at least 300-400 everywhere in the house. Testing with iPhone SE 2020.

not 6e, just 6. the router can let compatible devices lock in at 2.4Gbps linkspeed and its utulizing DFS 160mhz channels, so the throughput on speedtests then is around 800-900Mbps. It does sometimes hit 930Mbps which is crazy as with ethernet it maxes out at 942Mbps. Totally unnecessary but it is what it is. (Asus AX11000, and an Asus AX86U)

What client have you using the 160mhz channels? I've yet to see a phone support it. Is it a laptop? I've an Asus-centric config here as well (GT-AX6000 router and 2 x AX86U as AIMesh satellites)

s22 ultra, s7 tab, pc wireless client - intel ax200

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭NBAiii

Good to see more people being connected here and it seems there was a large batch of premises released for order/pre-order last Wednesday. Going by the NBI news page there were over 14000 premises made available in various regions. Again the devil is in the detail as it is not clear if they are counting previously released premises and the order versus pre-order split is never made clear. The premises counter on the NBI home page has not yet been updated and is still stuck sub 60000 premises.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Nolars

Seen this out on a walk near our gaff I assume it's nbi as are area is Apr - may.

• Advertisement

It's great to be able to watch something without it buffering every 5 minutes

Post edited by Magnum on

Which deployment area are you in? If they're just stringing fibre now, you'll be lucky to be ready in the next two months....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,550 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

check the printed text on the cable, it'll be either open-eir or NBI.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Nolars

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭NBAiii

NBI have published their revised 2022 targets on their political reps page.

Across the project, NBI have already made major achievements providing a degree of momentum and a greater level of assurance, not only about the 2022 targets but also about the fact that the programme will still be delivered within the originally planned 7-year programme, despite the unprecedented impact of the Covid pandemic and even though the Intervention Area has grown by 17,000 premises since the project began.

As work is progressing across all 26 counties in the country, we’re seeing strong momentum across the build programme and are pleased to share this latest build update with the key indicators in the rollout.

Premises under construction

By the end of 2022, 221,000 premises – 40% of the entire Intervention Area – will be under construction.

Premises available to pre-order (Can place order for delivery within 90-day window)

By the end of 2022, 128,000 premises will be available to order which represents 58% of the premises under construction. In comparison, the equivalent for 2021 was 23%.

Premises passed (Typically available for connection within 10 days)

No figure for this but seems slightly over 100k

The trajectory seen in these leading indicators provides confidence that the seven year rollout remains on-target.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,550 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

SBP article- ESRI behavioural study aims to tackle lack of public interest in high-speed broadband

Behavioural experts to investigate why people are so slow to connect after fewer than 6,000 sign up to NBP network

Behavioural experts have been called in to find ways of getting more people to sign up for high speed broadband.

Around 1.3 million out of 2.3 million households and businesses in Ireland have high-speed broadband of more than 100 megabytes per second, but many others are not taking up the service when it becomes available to them.

This is a particular concern for the state when it comes to the rollout of the €3 billion National Broadband Plan...

ESRI behavioural study aims to tackle lack of public interest in high-speed broadband | Business Post

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

A good percentage of people living in rural areas are older people. There is a misconception that everybody is internet savvy.

Even in urban areas there is a lot of people that can manage with mobile phone internet coverage. Most younger people renting are able to manage with this and work from home in larger urban areas.

Broadband is only really an issue in Rural Ireland where mobile coverage is really poor. When you factor in that the minimum cost of a bill is 40/month and goes to 60+ when you go for higher speeds or go out of contract.

There is a large percentage of people that go Pay as you go with mobile and with electricity. If you factor all this in it's easy to see why take up rates are where they are. This is another reason why the higher estimate of the costs of this contact are going to be where we end up at.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

What gaurantees has the contract given around takeup bass ?

And with regards this quote

"Broadband is only really an issue in Rural Ireland where mobile coverage is really poor."

Are you serious ?

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭CptMonkey

• Advertisement

I was the same for many many years and then it happened, I was always very envious of people living in big cities and towns and honestly never thought I'd see the day when we would get these speeds.

Advertisement