Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭Timing belt

Using a hopper is being soft…Real men use a sleàn 😏

I don’t think it will come to that as oil is down 5% today so market isn’t scared of Russian black mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭combat14

thats if there is not a massive recession first when european businesses en-masse close due to lack of fuel....

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Mr Hindley

In a change of topic from the macro-economics and WWIII :( - I asked my mortgage broker today on his view on the market, and he said that while new supply is finally starting to come online and ease the pressure a little, that if I wanted a property that would hold its value, to consider a high-end apartment rather than a house. That way, I'd be less likely to be competing with FTBs, and investors.

Interested in other peoples' thoughts? I'm fairly flexible about what kind of property I go for - the way the market is now, my priority is not to find my forever home, but to get somewhere reasonably quickly and start paying off my own mortgage rather than someone else's, and be insulated from further skyrocketing prices for the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

I'd say get a new mortgage broker!

High end apts will be the first thing to drop in any economic crash, he's saying you should buy one because nobody wants them now, how do you think it will hold its value during bad economic times?

A low end apt would sound like your best bet to get out of the rent trap if you have no major housing criteria at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,631 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

It's might seem a Mexican standoff. However not only do Russia need the revenue it also cannot store the gas elsewhere. It will literally have to burn it off. Imaging burning off a half a billion a day.

If sanctions are hurting Russia right now give it a few weeks and Putin will be burning up his foreign reserves. You are looking at the largest economic block in the world. It's ability to adapt is huge.

Will it hurt. Yes but it will hurt Russia a lot more. If he turns it off will it ever matter if he turns it back on again.?

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Interesting segment on Prime Time tonight on the crisis engulfing the construction sector at the minute as a result of material shortages and costs inflation. Large number of developers deciding to finish out current phases under construction in housing estates and deferring all future phases indefinitely. Buckle up, serious supply shock incoming it would seem.

Nearly all apartments are being bought by investors…I would get a new broker with that advice

• Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭wassie

Interested in other peoples' thoughts?

Stick with your mortgage broker arranging your loan and not financial guidance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭wassie

There are also a lot of big schemes still pushing ahead. Developers that have the means are simply procuring a lot of packages early in advance of appointing a builder to help manage cost. Essentially they are taking on a larger share of the project risk that otherwise would normally be passed on to the builder.

I wouldnt give too much credence to that Prime Time report - a lot of 'ifs' and 'maybes'. Impacts are being felt now, but we are not closing shop on building anytime soon especially while the returns on investment are there.

The single biggest constraint we have is getting workers, both trades and professionals. And that is harder to deal with because we simply cannot attract workers here on a large scale as they have no where to live.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I certainly wouldn't like to suggest all developers are deferring projects, far from it. All the same I am aware of two large developments myself that are deferring phases, both in very different areas. It isn't due to a lack of demand either, one development only sold out its current phase within a couple of hours in February. There will inevitably be some impact on supply.

CIF pushing hard for the increased cost of materials to be allowed to be added on to the agreed sale price upon completion. Wouldn't exactly lead to a comfortable environment for would-be purchasers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

But this would be a short run cycle. Homeowners ultimately will sell at an average of once in every 20 years. Periods where people put of selling are not unusual and usually correspond to an economic shock. Like the one which covid gave us. But we will eventually go back to the trend rate of the expected existing house sale turnover.

Prices are rising because of lack of supply but with new builds edging up. More existing stock to come on market. Rising interest rates cycle to come and a fall in real wages (inflation running higher than wage inflation) I would think the rises will end later this year.

I wouldn't count on rises ending this year..... At the start of the year I thought house prices growth would average around 5% this year.... I am now thinking it will go higher and be closer to 10% because wage increases are becoming more common. It will make no difference if inflation is running higher than wage inflation or if interest rates increase because it is not the repayment that people are struggling with it... they are already able to prove they can afford this by paying rent every month.... It is the ability to borrow because of the LTI limit.... with Wages increasing it means more can be borrowed which equals upward pressure on housing.

You would think that more stock would hit the market with higher prices but it won't because people put off selling when they are uncertain.... normally this is when they are uncertain about future job prospects but at the moment it is because they are uncertain that if they sell they will be able to find alternative accommodation... Even if they were to sell and rent for a year to find a place... they will struggle to find somewhere to rent not to mention find accommodation to buy. With inflation running high we will see projects being mothballed until their is more certainty about building costs which will mean less supply 1-2 years down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I think the headlines at the end of next year will be "Housing crisis is over - Rate of price rises is going down. Its only 9% per year now."

Not a chance in hell of this country ever catching up with the increase in supply needed even to stand still.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

I don't think we will ever catch up with demand. Just look at globalization and how that's developed over the last 20 years. Add in emergencies such as Ukraine and the knock on effects that brings. We are one of the most underdeveloped countries across Europe and if there's a need or desire for people to come here, then they will continue to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

You can say the same argument why house building won't go down. It is not the cost of construction but availability of builders that is holding it back. Currently only halve of new build planning permission are being build due to lack of bulders. If one developer decides not to build another will snap up that builder for thier project. Builders are out the door for work. Anyway sale prices are rising faster than cost build in many urban locations so makes no sence why developers would not construct. House prices for a 3bed house or apartment in Dublin has probably gone up more than the cost to build since covid so don't see why new builds slowing at all. It will keep edging up towards 30k over next decade which should be well enough for demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Costs of materials, land and most of all finance for builds are all rising. Not only do we need more labour, but we need to do something to address rises in materials, ridiculous land prices (driven by speculators and hoarding) and the funding model for construction in this country.

Construction could very well slow down in spite of all the demand due to the above factors making it less and less viable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

You're wrong.

They'll have them empty until they get rented. 1 year, 5 years, 10? Who cares.

He who controls the supply, reaps the reward.

Interesting video from WSJ, the average house in America increased in value more than the average salary in 2021, pretty crazy when you think about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭Villa05

And you still have people here blaming leftist policies for our predicament

We've gone too far right

Worth a watch to learn how we got here and potentially where we are going. Aimed at western world esp USA but lots of correlation with ireland

In

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭J_1980

House prices didn’t jump like that under trump.

Only when free funny money Democrats came in.

proper low tax, economic right wing, free market countries see no such house price jumps (Switzerland, singapore, Dubai, Japan)

house index looks sane. Been stale for half a decade, now going up a bit nothing unusual.

Private home prices in Singapore increased 0.4 percent quarter-on-quarter in the three months to March of 2022, slowing sharply from a 5.0 percent rise in the previous period, preliminary estimates showed.

Already slowing down.

House prices didn't jump massively before or during corona here either so whats your point? Did Biden affect house prices in Ireland too or is it really just the global effect of people coming out of a worldwide pandemic?

Isn't that just a list of places where houses prices were already very high?

Japan is famous for its multi generation mortgages because prices are so high

I don't think you can count any arab country as its illegal to get into debt so you'd be mad to do property speculation without money in the bank.

Singapore's property market is very limited due to its size

Switzerland is bound to feel the effects of the greater EU inflation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

Interesting thesis on the US market that the issue of supply is primarily due to a lack of sellers, and flags that the housing stock per capita is almost identical to what it was in 2008 in the US. Also, that new home construction is outpacing population growth. Finally, that with the major of stakeholders bullish about the market it is indicative that the top has arrived.

A very quick estimate of our housing stock per capita in 2008 versus 2019 would provide the following ratios; 0.437 houses per capita in 2008 and 0.414 per capita in 2019. Interesting indeed and it would indicate to me that the supply coming onstream post-covid from new builds could very quickly lead to an oversupply in the market, at the prices being sought at least, which would result in a correction in the market to at least some extent (even before looking at things like rising mortgage rates and soaring cost of living).

I'd also recommend reading the comments under the article as some ask for more info, critique the analysis as well as back it up. It is a fairly rounded discussion usually under Seeking Alpha articles.

Summary

The U.S. Housing Market is really screwed up. Everyone is trying to buy and first time homebuyers have been left in the dust. In any market, when everyone is bullish that is a good sign the top is near.

There is not a shortage of housing. I would venture a guess that 99.9% of homebuyers currently live in a home. The shortage is in the number of home sellers. The low mortgage rates and pandemic-related reasons that are causing so many people to relocate started the momentum in housing that snowballed into a speculative frenzy. Inflation and rising rents have fueled that frenzy. Then, the threat of rising rates caused a panic in buyers to get into a house at any price to lock in their "once-in-a-lifetime opportunity."

Prices and profit margins have signaled homebuilders to build more. Homebuilders have responded in kind, in the face of significant production challenges. This situation is going to lead to overbuilding. The number of units under construction already far outpaces population growth. Profit signals to stop building will be too little too late, just like 2008.

Now rising mortgage rates are crushing homebuyers. There is a lag of 30-90 days after rates rise before it impacts home sales and prices as many homebuyers have locked in rates over that time. This spring and summer will be interesting, indeed.

Japanese property is extremely affordable. And so is Singapore (it’s cheaper than most big European capital cities despite much higher average net income).

just a bunch of excuses…

alternatively compare American red states vs blue states. Red states have all the net migration (Texas florida etc) and still very affordable. left wing policies always impoverish the middle class, thats why it always fails.

A quick look at Japan and Singapore and much of their success is down to state involvement in the supply side rather than the demand side here in Ireland.

Now which policy would be considered leftist?

UK and US Middle class have been shrinking for some time

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Shiok

Misread the context of the post, deleted my comment.

Post edited by Shiok on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Shiok

In one post, you mention Singapore property prices are very affordable. Yet in another, you have linked an article referencing the private property market, which is obviously not.

Giving you the benefit of doubt that you understand you are talking about two different things.. the price of properties in both the HDB & private markets are broadly stable not as a result of "proper low tax, free markets" as you have mentioned, but because of full government oversight in the case of HDB's / social housing and government policy influence in the case of the private market. The price difference is still stark - 400k for a HDB 4-bed versus 5 million to the skies the limit for a private 4-bed. Mr. Dyson famously bought a very nice one for around 70million a few years ago.

Advertisement