Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Amiga Mini

• 21-08-2021 11:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 459 ✭✭

Has anyone any intention of getting one of these? In your opinions do you think they will sell out? I pre-ordered one from Amazon last night, but I usually buy two minis, one for me to play and one for me to leave unopened to collect. But I'm inclined just to buy this and not buy one to play new and pick one up second hand to play as I can play amiga in other ways too and it's only using WHDload anyway.

I just don't want to be in the situation to find myself in that they end up being more expensive because they've sold out.

I know below it says the C^$ but the link is for the a500mini

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,079 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Nope, not unless they eventually knock them out in brand max or whatever it's called for silly money like they did the c64 mini.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

I think I'll wait a while, but I'll eventually get one. March is a long time to wait, I thought Christmas.

Bit expensive at £120 and Amazon are acting the pup about shipping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

25 games is a bit week . There should be at least 50.

Also game pad success arse. Should be a joystick

No sensi soccer, no lotus std

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Inviere

Nah, I'm all mini'd out nowadays. It's just yet another crap arm chip in a shell that makes nostalgia milkshake. If you want an Amiga, buy an Amiga. Other options being Fpga and software emulation of Amiga, both are damn near perfect regardless.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I've a CD32... and an add-on floppy drive.

I think that's enough Amiga for me right now!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

But, a RPi, keyboard, mouse and an sd card flashed with something you can find with a Google, you can be playing Amiga till the cows come home.

Edit: Just did it there, google "raspberry pi amiga image" and there it was...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 459 ✭✭Dublinandy3

Yeah I have a pi, I'm just a sucker for nostalgia I guess.

I'll def buy the one not to open for my collection. Still deciding on one to play. The fact I'm having doubts is probably my answer.

Amazon is an arse from r delivery but they don't pre charge and I have a uk address as well so am getting it sent there.

Any half decent PC from the last 10 years would prob do a better job. The Pi 400 though would make a nice little project Amiga.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Ya a PI400 and the PiMiga distribution is all you need really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

my Pi 400 arrived yesterday and I stuck on Pimiga which comes with 4.5k games and loads of other Amiga stuff like demos, music, videos and emulators

can't believe this is the original 36 year old OS even if it is heavily tweaked it looks so modern compared to my original 1200 which I modded during the summer

Damn, now I want a Pi 400...

So, to what degree can it emulate an Amiga?

I understand it can emulate the vanilla 500/600 and 1200, but can it emulate the accelerated machines or is that a step too far?

No idea Cidey, I find conflicting info online about the pi400 being good and not so good for Amiga. If you wanted to do it properly, look into the Mister unit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭MSVforever

Yep I pre-ordered one from Smyths the evening it was released.

Still have the original Amiga 500 in my parents house so looking forward to this plug & play solution.

I also have The C64 maxi which is great for playing games and messing around in basic etc so if the A500 is similar I will be very happy.

Just having a closer look at this at the moment, am I right in thinking this has no Commodore or Amiga branding on it at all? It's named the A500 Mini, but the word Amiga isn't anywhere to be seen on it. What's that about?

Actually the C64 Mini is exactly the same, no Commodore branding at all. Funny, I've never noticed that!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd say the rights to the hardware and the rights to the commodore name and branding are now completely separate.

Yeah I was thinking the same, must be some sort of rights conflict. This started because searching for the word Amiga on Smyths yielded no results....its A500 Mini, and upon looking at the pics, there's zero Commodore or Amiga branding.

I've bought a Pi 400 so I'm going to try and install Pimiga, though the devs Youtube channel, where he hosts his work, has those videos marked as "private".

I've no idea what that is about, pity.

I'll keep hunting for a suitable SD image, certainly it seems a lot more capable than the A500 mini

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

The whole Amiga rights ownership is a clusterfcuk of epic proportion, two companies are still regularly in court disputing it and total separate to the Commodore rights.

• Advertisement

I just followed this video but be sure to read the instructions when you download the Pimiga file as there are certain you have to do otherwise it won't work such as renaming your legally acquired A1200 rom 👀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭mondeo

If they make a full sized one (Maxi) like what they did with the C64 mini then I would buy one. No point in these minis unless the keyboard is a fully fledged working since the keyboard played a big part in games. I use to use the Numerical keys for flight simulators. A full sized Amiga 500 Maxi then I would be buying 3 of them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Trying to decide if to buy this or just get a pi400. I'm thinking a pi400 would be much better with an amiga emulator on it. It's hard to ignore buying the a500 though, sometimes nostalgia can make you do silly things with your money. That included mouse and gamepad really do it for me and the fact that you can connect a USB keyboard to it and literally turn it into a branded fully functioning Amiga.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,079 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I think the pi400 would be a much better buy if you don't mind the set up (I actually think that's often the best bit). The pi isn't just tied to being an Amiga further down the line either. The little case of the little Amiga is quite nice, but I'd sooner have a comfortable mouse and better controller.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

I put down a pre order the Amiga mini today. I just couldn't stop myself ! Feck it anyway ! Guy in Smyths Fonthill told me I was only the second person to put a preorder on one...

These not going to be terribly popular here no ? I remember the Amiga scene in the 90s was moderate but not massive in Ireland. I thought they would have had more demand though.

I ended up doing the same. It'll live on a shelf for its whole life, but it'll be nice to own it. I'd prefer it to a Pi, because a Pi is always going to be a hobbyists product, at least this comes as a professional looking replica.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Yeah I knew quite a few people with a C64 back in those days buy not many with an Amiga. I'd two friends who had one (one had an A600 and the other an A1200 which blew me away) but both had fairly well off parents who could afford one. Not a chance was I getting any of that action haha

I had an A600 back in the day, I got it quite late in the last days of Commodore, I remember it was just before World Cup 94' started we picked it up in Virgin Mega Stores. I know this A500 is just a system on a chip but it feels like I am buying a new Commodore Amiga all over again so I can't miss out.

• Advertisement

Anyone tell me if there is a rom pack available for the Amiga ?

Mod: No direction can be given to roms packs or similar, that is against the forum rules.

However, a simple google should get you the answers you need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭Tork

What is the Amiga Mini like? Shortly after I created this thread I cancelled my preorder and told myself I'd wait for enough reviews, or until my will broke, whichever came first.

Reviews seem to suggest it's as expected, very much like the previous Mini's we've seen, they do what they say on the tin.

• Advertisement

I was hoping for something magical, but I will probably buy one.

yeah I did a Pi400 build instead of this but will most likely pick one up when they go on sale down the line

I have the Pi400 sitting in a heap somewhere, and I always meant to put an Amiga build onto it...

Just another project waiting to happen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

What are folks top Amiga games by the way? I'm only really familiar mostly with the ones that had Megadrive ports (Bitmap Bros games, Another World, Desert Strike, Dune 2 and the likes etc)

I see there are a rake of point and clicks that I mostly associate with DOS PC gaming (Monkey Island, Beneath a Steel Sky)

Well, it has a great version of Syndicate on the Amiga, probably one of the best intros too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Can anyone tell me where the best place is to get this ordered for delivery to an address in Ireland? I'm UK based and want to get one as a present for someone over there. Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Sensible Soccer on the CD32 is a favourite of mine. Then there's Flashback, Cannon Fodder, Simon The Sorcerer(CD32 talkie version with Chris Barrie), Jetstrike CD32, Frontier Elite, Lemmings, Syndicate, Speedball 2, Alien Breed, Wings, Superfrog, Flashback, The Chaos Engine, Worms, B.A.T II, Liberation CD32.

I probably spent more time on PD and Shareware games back in the day than full titles. Extreme Violence still stands as a great simple multiplayer deathmatch game that I played for hours against my brothers and still stick it on some times even if its just me.

Syndicate (though I tried to play it last year and could no longer figure it out), x-com (again my old age beat me), civ 2, sensible soccer, cannon fodder, all of the ones previously mentioned, shufflepuck cafe, speedball 2

And chaos engine

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

I'd be suprised if there were eben as many ordered by Irish stores as the C64 mini..the Amiga was a fantastic machine , but out of a lot of peoples pricerange in the early 90s so I reckon the 64 was more of a nostalgia magnet. That said theres an Amiga user Ireland convention in Athlone every year but no C64 one ..so what do I know!!

Powerdrome and Stuntcar Racer are two of the most stunning "modern" titles on the Amiga, along with the Mercenary series and Elite sequels

I never owned an Amiga back in the day, they were literal unobtanium and the stuff of dreams. For that reason, I've always held a certain mystique for anything Amiga related. Last year I bought all the Amiga's I want (need to refurb them), so I think I'm obliged by law to buy one of these.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭Tork

We had an Amiga at home when I was growing up so I've got a lot of nostalgia for it. I've messed around with emulators but that's the problem in a way - there often seems to be too much tinkering involved before a game gets up and running. I'll be interested to see how well this works with games that aren't pre-loaded on it. My understanding is that for the moment, it can only take WHDLoad games?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭tjhook

I only ever had a Spectrum +2 and I remember the first time I saw an Amiga...

A friend's older brother had an A500 rigged up to a Hifi, and he put on Starglider... I refused to believe that the sampled title tune was coming from the computer.

Witchcraft.

why not order it through Amazon as they are priced the same everywhere at the moment and just set up your friends address in your account

• Advertisement
Advertisement