Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,432 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Remember when you couldn’t even buy a pair of shoes for your kids feet😀

What a total overreaction we had in his country to cover the shitshow of a health service.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭political analyst

Indeed. It must be asked whether the healthcare unions' leadership is representative of the membership in general, given that many healthcare workers would prefer not to have to wear masks when they are doing their shopping after work as well as in their places of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I hear rumours that there will be medals for people like you, those who really knew better all along, heroes all!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭crossman47

If you think restrictions that saved lives were needless, then so be it. I think that, most of the time, the government struck a fair balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭celt262

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭MOR316

It's no freedom of Dublin City though is it?

I'll accept it however, thank you and your apology is accepted :)

Post edited by MOR316 on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

The fake hysteria and bitching about the past use of masks isn't a great look either...

It's incredible, masks were never and can never be a long-term societal thing. But they certainly have their place, and no it's not some lab-controlled ideal scenario.

I agree that the likes of NPHET had made hugely overreaching decisions and govt were happy to sit back and have policy led by one angle only. And tbh there's countless valid criticisms of how this was handled at various points.

Either way, whatever take someone has, I'm looking forward to when this stops being the issue it has been for 2 years. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

They linked to someone that has crazy videos. A video of putting a carbon dioxide monitor under their face mask!!! Enough said.

I doubt their opinions are representative of much beyond ED and ICU staff. If they had a genuine epidemiological motive for the call, it was needed a month ago.

I am not sure what changes to self-isolation are coming, but the existing ones make little sense. I don't see what someone should do if they *do* have symptoms after 7 days, or if they're testing positive 10 days later. Some (most) people will not want to see a lateral flow test again for love or money and will be out living their lives the moment the week is up. While others, who voluntarily test themselves and quarantine until they're negative, would obviously be punished for doing so. There's basically no legal reason or motive to want to be tested now. In the face of that reality, the current public health "advice" looks like a bit of a fig leaf.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Apologies then - I've not been spending enough time in here to familiarise myself with the ins and outs of various barely distinguishable posters who seem to live here. My initial response was to someone looking forward to being "free", and you quoted me and weighed in - I didn't go back and check that you were a different poster to the original drama queen; mea culpa. I'm glad to hear to you don't feel currently oppressed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

LOL

However i was wondering should i have taken out my violin to some of the replies. 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Also remember many GP's refusing in person consulations with patients. Over the phone diagnosis with my local doctor was all that was available for a period of time.

All in the name of public health

• Registered Users Posts: 8,296 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

So Germany have a lack of covid cases due to FFP2 masks? Do they though?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Anybody able to explain the rationale behind Leo's statement about changing isolation periods for under 55s?

Can't figure it out myself .

Why , if positive , does it make any difference what age you are ?

Surely it should be the same for all age groups as if you are positive you have to take some care not to infect others and that is true no matter what age!

Completely barmy!

Now I get the PCR testing requirements as over 55s would be at more risk alright .

But everybody who is positive is a risk to infecting others.

What should be done is reduce isolation requirements for all asymptomatic or mild cases regardless of age .

They're trying their best to act like they still really care about COVID. But really they're saying don't bother getting tested if you have COVID as its practically a head cold for most at this point.

They can't say that out straight though.

I'd say the financial situation has them much more worried.

Oh , ok so that's the rationale , is it?

Pretty senseless .

By the way your avatar needs to be updated jd 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

While i agree in one way, i laughed out loud when i read it, classic trump "the reason we have more cases is that we are testing more" no testing, no cases.

• Advertisement

Yes had me stumped too .

The advice now is unless you're OVER 55 ,immunocompromised, highrisk medical condition, living with or looking after those poor creatures, or a healthcare worker, you only have to isolate until 48hours without symptoms and no need to test.

On the other hand there is advice about testing isolating and maskwearing for over 12s and under 12s if Covid positive .

But if there is no requirement for anybody to test unless they fall into that first list up there.

So how do you know if you are positive if you don't test ?

" It's totally illogical , Captain Kirk"!

For once I agree with jacdaniel's take on this .....a bit 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

COVID; the virus so deadly you need a test to know you are infected.

I think the one thing I would take from the last couple of years is that we need to avoid bunkerisation and learn to ignore the current largely American originated trend towards binary argument politicisation of every topic.

It had a chilling effect on debate and discussion and I think we are only now getting to the pragmatic phase. The really loonie fringes of conspiracy theorists actually ended up causing everyone else to just not want to be associated with them, which resulted in far less discussion than you would normally have and I don’t think that’s unique to Ireland either.

It's easy to look at it with the benefit of hindsight. Until the vaccines were rolled out and knowledge improved there the options are were very limited and some of the early outbreaks had been horrific, so I can fully understand the caution, but I think at this stage we are heading towards the endemic phase and it likely is just going to have to become a risk we manage, probably with vaccines and the availability of treatments for vulnerable or unlucky people.

I think we are likely going to be dealing with it, but with ever improving tools for the rest of our days. It’s just part of the catalogue of nasty and endemic viruses now.

I also think the incessant testing to detect mildly symptomatic / asymptomatic people, while useful in preventing transmission (assuming they actually self isolate) is undermining how the vaccine is being seen. The spike vaccines have been very effective. You can see that in terms of seriousness of disease and ICU numbers. However, because people are still testing positive (with very little symptoms in a lot of cases) there’s a false assumption, and it’s being amplified online by conspiracy theorists, that the vaccine is useless. It very clearly works. It’s just not going to completely wipe it out.

It’s also an unusual scenario. Do we know how effective any other vaccine was other than by looking primarily at disease development and symptoms?

We’ve never been going around taking high sensitivity swabs on a mass scale like this before for any other disease. I’m beginning to wonder are a lot of the positives just people who have virus in their nose but their already knowledgeable (through vaccination and possibly exposure) immune system is perhaps just working on killing it off?

It does become a bit futile though, other than where you need to keep it away from vulnerable individuals and in contexts like nursing homes etc. There are some scenarios where routine testing should probably continue long term, but they’re narrow.

We are in a VERY different place to the start of the pandemic and I think it would be unfair to compare what we’re are doing now to the reckless attempts to short circuit herd immunity that were going on in Sweden, for a time in Britain and so on. We needed that buffer of time to build immunity safely using vaccines and the restrictions afforded us that.

From what I've been told, people are wearing them intermittently now. But this misses the point. The consistent lower rate of infection prior to basically now is its own proof of how effective masks stop covid spread. The graph you posted shows that. The concept isn't to stop everyone being infected but to stop excessive measures on society. Like much of the last 2 years where a huge number of civil liberties were violated. These takes on masks are so myopic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

The masks didn't help at all, pre masks, pre screens in supermarkets, supermarket staff were less likely to catch covid than the general public, says it all, they handled every bit of shopping, spoke to every customer, in many cases handling alot of peoples phones to sort out rewards apps, that was when we were in proper lockdown and the supermarket was many peoples only venture out for the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

It must be pointed out that anyone who questioned the way over the top narrative re Covid was immediately labelled as a ‘far right conspiracy theorist’. Any suggestion of deviation from policy and this label was regularly rolled out on this thread. Any attempt at debate, any discussion on healthcare resource capacity increase and reopening more and you were a killer who was selfish and thinking of only themselves.

And let’s not forget the TD’s posting videos of ‘young people’ gathering outdoors during the summer months on social media as a way to whip up anger against a section of society. This scapegoating by government and media then continued to include various other sections of society and even found it’s way to refugees in direct provision in the end.

The vaccine pass became the way these extremists wanted to reopen - with a feeling of self superiority, discrimination, and signing the population up to a no vaccine, no rights scenario indefinitely.

You must also acknowledge that while the vaccine prevents serious illness and death in many people, it was sold as a vaccine that stopped transmission at the start, it was then a two shot vaccine, now a 3/4/5 shot? The vaccine companies themselves have not done a good job at keeping people confident in their product by announcing ‘waning protection’ no sooner than the latest shot is in one’s arm. Not to mention, there has been not one discussion re side effects, not one interview anywhere in the media re adverse events. While many don’t get them, they do occur & should be acknowledged. Vaccine company’s indemnity continues & the Government and ourselves will ultimately have to pay the cost one day. It at least should be addressed in the media to some degree, both for the victims and their families, and the Irish public.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I thought it was just me ! I cannot figure this out at all . The only thing I can think of in a roundabout way is do they think over 55's will be more likely to hang out with over 55's and spread it to that age group ? It all makes no sense to me .

Decent summary read in the IT today. https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/coalition-unwilling-to-revisit-covid-19-restrictions-despite-mounting-pressure-1.4842459

Even McConkey as a citizen can’t rationalise trying to mandate masks again. Another interesting bit, Donnelly has been working all week while also battling bronchitis and flu, while we have some who should know better on here and other places online, wondering where he is and criticising him for not answering every mask fanatic on the air. Bronchitis and flu alone are nasty, getting them together very debilitating I’d imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,554 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Something isn't adding up here

President of the Irish Association for Emergency Medicine Fergal Hickey said the situation in Irish hospitals is “the worst that many of my colleagues and I have seen in our careers”.

So worse than at any previous stage of the pandemic

and yet

The meeting was also told admissions to hospital as a result of Covid-19 were relatively low. 

Is there some other factor(s) that could be driving "incredibly challenging conditions in hospitals throughout the country” in spring 2022?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

undiagnosed illnesses that people didn’t get checked, low immunity from not mixing for two years? Could that be factors? Or just the years and years of a shambles of a system bitting us in the a88 now

Advertisement