Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

You're saying that people you don't agree with are likley mean people who don't give to charity?

Thats a bit of a leap to be fair

Anyway certainly Ireland can do something, but the fact is without the big five countries severely limiting their greenhouse emissions the climate is fcuked regardless.

1. China (9,300 Mt)
    2. The United States (4,800 Mt)
    3. India (2,200 Mt)
    4. Russia (1,500 Mt)
    5. Japan (1,100 Mt)

And looking at most countries in that list, I think that's looking highly unlikely at this stage 🙁

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

You have no understanding of renewables. Might want to dig a bit deeper into Unicorns plans for the future.  The anointed will tell you about their visions of sustainable energy rainbows and harnessing free-range unicorn farts from the middle of the sea. 

As I said, dig deeper, you might learn something. 🙄

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,408 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Even if climate change wasn't real, it makes sense for Ireland and the rest of the world to end reliance on fossil fuels that are often controlled by tyrannical and despotic regimes

And the nonsense about us changing our reliance to buying Chinese pv cells, we're not reliant on China, we're using China because they're cheap. PV can be manufactured anywhere if we need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,073 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Name me one renewable that is 100% reliable.

The facts are that there is no mix of renewables out there that are 100% reliable and that fossil fuels will be needed long into the future. More-so in our case as we have put our eggs in one basket, wind, and the data shows just how unreliable it is. This idea that we can make this sudden jump from natural gas to renewables overnight is fantasy.

So with us needing natural gas in one form or the other for a long time to come then other than we should refuse to use it because countries that supply it can be volatile what is your answer for back-up to unreliable renewables ?

China is a pretty volatile nation so if we are not to buy natural gas of those that are, then should we not be doing the same with China ?

It seems you have no idea on how electricity is priced.

Irelands wholesale price of electricity is determined by the marginal price policy. This "cheap cost of renewables" you mention does not make a blind bit of difference to the price. We are charged at the going rate for gas and if renewables made up 90% that would not change.

• Advertisement

Buying all the shiny "green" toys from them is hardly going to change that now is it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,377 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Explain it to me then.

Wind gets calm in the winter for relatively long periods and we have limited solar then. we have no wave or tidal.

Where are you getting the renewable from then?

Spell it out to me and the others on here who clearly don’t understand how it works?

This is your chance.

I’m seriously considering that this whole thread is a wind up at this stage.

Couple of lunatics who can’t answer anything on this thread!

Agreed however we need a plan to actually do this.

I wish you would make your mind up. One post you say I shouldn`t answer posts, the next it`s that I don`t answer. Keep it up and I`ll become as confused as you are.

I already gave the time estimated for two other such plants, but sitting on hands similar to Eamon on Barryroe is not going to get it built faster.

• Advertisement

The thing is those "tyrannical and despotic regimes" are forging ahead and they don't give a fcuk about the climate regardless. In the period of transition to renewable energy production the EU and others have acknowledged that natural gas will be a transition fuel for the next 20 to 30 years. We need to look to our own natural resources.

“A number of small gas fields similar to Corrib, coming on stream gradually over the next decade could see Ireland becoming self-sufficient in gas as we transition to a low carbon future. However, as it takes several years to bring a new field on stream it is essential that the exploration momentum that now exists is enhanced. To ensure that Ireland is not to be reliant again on imports for our future energy needs, we need to continue our offshore exploration.

In addition, utilisation of depleted gas fields could be an important part of the future solution for long termsafe storage of Ireland’s CO2 emissions, if action is taken soon”.

Pat Shannon, Chair Irish Offshore Operators’ Association.

Btw I never mentioned that we're "reliant" on China. But yes countries around the world are certainly buying Chinese goods because they're cheaper than what they can produce themselves. But the big red flag with buying things like solar panels from places like China should not be whether they're cheap or not but rather that these goods are being made by an industry using huge amounts of electricity from coal fired power stations. For anyone looking to go green and move to sustainable methods of energy production- that should be a big N O

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

No energy is 100% reliable. Renewable or fossil. Plenty of risk with all fossil fuels

Solar, wind, tidal, bio methane, plus other will be just as reliable as fossil and Ireland will not be over a barrel with other countries dependant on supply from them

https://www.gasnetworks.ie/corporate/company/our-commitment/environment/renewable-gas/

PV can be manufactured anywhere if we need to.

Really? How about making them in Ireland?

Who is going to recover and process the raw materials needed in the manufacture of solar panels? This is all energy intensive manufacturing and many of the materials used are highly toxic. The panels only last about 25 to 30 years becoming less and less efficient over that time, they must be disposed. Where will we send them? Why are the government not rushing to setup a recycling centre of excellence here in Ireland to reprocess all those panels worldwide that have reached end of life? Imagine all the green jobs we can create from the circular economy. Recycling solar panels is Irelands opportunity to get serious and showcase its green credentials to the world by taking toxic material and reusing it. Or we can go through the motions of putting everything in the recycle bag just to be burned or exported to 3rd world countries or to use new politically correct term the global south?

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

It been mentioned hundred of time, if wind stops we should have enough capacity from other renewables to take the workload. Renewables is not just wind and sun

You are coming up with a scenario that will never happen.

It would be like be saying what happens if all the people go on strike and we shut down fossil fuel stays, then what do we do? Is thousand of gallons of LnG sitting in cork going to make a difference then?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

You keep saying that the EU energy marginal pricing policy is flawed. What is the alternative.

200 euro electricity grant is the biggest waste of money, we should have invested the money into renewables instead

So, we invest countless billions into wind, sun, tidal, methane etc. and while we wait for a mix of those to somehow give us reliable dependable 100% cover, we invest nothing to ensure we have a secure energy source to get us to that magical day.

Not meaning to burst your fantasy bubble here, but do you really not see the major hole in that plan ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,428 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

You're saying that people you don't agree with are likley mean people who don't give to charity?

it was an analogy. i obviously wasn't clear enough drawing a parallel between not bothering to do anything about climate because our contribution wouldn't make any significant difference, and any other issue where the aggregated small actions of many add up to significance.

Exactly so why are constantly bleating on the sudject if you admit nothing can be done 🤔, O ya it’s part of the spoofers charter, shur of course 🙄

• Advertisement

We have already invested billions into other sources do you think we suddenly turn them off?

How many “billions” is it going to take for renewables over investments in fossil to provide for ireland long term?

You haven’t burst anything by the way, I’m just laughing at you

Nope. I think you're not paying attention again. In my last comment to another poster, and to which you replied, I've stated that the Marginal Price policy is how electricity costs are determined within the EU. The previous poster didn't seem to realise that. Many other green advocates seem not to know that either or are deliberately ignoring it for some odd reason 🤔

But fire away go look up alternatives if you're interested in finding out about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

That may be, but at 96% reliable, nuclear is sure dam closer than whirly things, which require less fossil fuel backup that any renewable source, except hydro.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,304 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...some great points here, but our governments abilities have been severely curtailed in implementing such processes, we have been given extreme limitations in regards financing, under current conditions, extremely high taxes would need to be implemented in order to adhere to these financial beliefs, this would more than likely crash our economy.....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I'll bet people who can scarcely make ends meet wouldn't agree with you.

In other words you don’t have a bull bollix notion of what you’re on about, a red top reading shite shovelling spoofer.

Lol. As detailed I have clarified the policy of the EU Marginal Price structure that you and some others here seem to be either ignorant of that policy or are choosing to be deliberately so. So point out which bit you don't believe is factual or go jump. And no I'm not facilitating your efforts at whataboutery.

But to quote you're own words

"you don’t have a bull bollix notion of what you’re on about, a red top reading shite shovelling spoofer"

Take a look at your posting history in this thread. Like that piece of invective. It's a fcuking disgrace.

The wind goes calm for multiple weeks during the winter.

There is little sun during the winter.

I’ll ask again, what renewables will pick up the load when the wind calms during the winter.

There are no other renewables that can pick up the load in Ireland.

If there are I apologise, maybe you could list those renewables and where they are situated.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,304 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

the grant is actually an exceptionally good idea, i.e. using the governments ability to create money by borrowing, and giving it to citizens to help fulfil their needs, this helps to increase the velocity of the money supply, which in turn helps to maintain economic activities. theres actually nothing stopping the government from borrowing even more, to help advance our creation of renewable networks, only thing stopping them is their ideologies..... a wind farm can be up and running in a couple of years, and be paid back within a few years, under current borrowing conditions.....

• Advertisement

Magic money theory again. No new money is being created the government are giving the suppliers a tax write-off, you will still be charged carbon tax they are not letting go of this expanding revenue stream. You may want to reconsider the effect of new money in light of the fact the goods are NOT being produced and the supply chains are breaking. Here is an interview you can listen to on the consequences of material shortages in light of the current economic crisis with George Gammon (forward to 5 minutes in) and why you end up with too much money chasing too few goods.

Advertisement